Author Topic: Reversing Lights  (Read 1342 times)

Offline Ian Mac

• Not said much yet
Reversing Lights
« on: 19 March 2011, 21:30 »
The reversing lights on my 130tdi are not working.
Fuse, switch, cables from switch and bulbs are al OK.
I have voltage switching on and off via the gearbox switch in the brown/red cable from the gearbox switch right up to where it enters the bulk head of the engine bay. The cables on the reversing lights are blue/black so unless I am missing some thing obvious, some where between the bonnet and the boot the cable changes from brown/red to blue/black and I have a break or dodgy connection faulty relay? etc. Anybody come across this sort of problem before?

Cheers
Ian

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
Re: Reversing Lights
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2011, 16:02 »
You say you have checked the wiring but double check for a break

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=87373.0  :smiley:

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline Ian Mac

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2011, 18:18 »
Thanks for the reply, I had seen that post but TBH the connector shown does not link to the switch on the gear box on my car. The switch in the gear box can be accessed from under the carand has a two cable plug into it, one cable is live all the time and the other goes live when reverse is selected. I followed the two cables right up to where they go into the bulk head, stripped a bit of insulation back and the cable goes live when reverse is selected and is dead when it's not, so pretty sure that it is not a broken cable in or around the switch

Cheers
Ian

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2011, 18:37 »
Hmmm  :undecided:

Fuse? i doubt it as you say you have power?

Worth a change anyway?

Number 7  http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=87372.0  :smiley:

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline Ian Mac

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 20 March 2011, 19:42 »
Thanks again, but I have checked the fuse - looks like I will have to find a wiring diagram, probably should buy myself a Haynes manual
Cheers
Ian

Offline Gareth F

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 20 March 2011, 20:02 »
May sound silly but have you checked for corrosion of the metal connection where the bulb touches. Used to be a common problem on my old corsa. If not could it be the dreaded water getting into your wiring?
No SmOkE nO pOkE....

Offline Ian Mac

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 20 March 2011, 21:31 »
Thanks for reply, yes checked for voltage with a volt meter at the connection into the lamp cluster, no voltage there. Also linked between side light and reversing light live connections when the side lights are on and the reversing light comes on - probably something simple but I am missing it so far
Cheers
Ian