Author Topic: Fuel Cap Not Sealing  (Read 1605 times)

Offline Zayd

• Not said much yet
Fuel Cap Not Sealing
« on: 12 November 2019, 22:31 »
Hello fellow members and apologies for not being active in the forum.  Family and work commitments consume rather a lot of the spare time. 

Only today on my 2017 Gti, I experienced the fuel cap not properly securing when trying to screw it shut after refuelling.  It makes the customary click sound, but will unscrew far too easily.  This caused a check engine light to appear, due to loss of pressure within the fuel tank.  I've reset the light and after a short drive, it hasn't come back.  Has anyone else experienced this issue, as I find it quite bizarre on a car that only done 15K miles. 

Maybe, I didn't realise that the cap unscrews rather easily from the locked position.  After all, it was my wife who refuelled this morning and the problem then presented itself.  Can anyone confirm if their cap unscrews easily, after undoing it and screwing it in again.

The car is still under warranty, but I don't relish the time they will probably waste to fix such a mundane issue.  In my mind, just a new cap should fix the problem, but the dealer might want the car to kept in and so on.  Thank you for your help and assistance. 
« Last Edit: 12 November 2019, 22:36 by Zayd »
Turbocharged and liking it...

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
Re: Fuel Cap Not Sealing
« Reply #1 on: 13 November 2019, 08:35 »
Why not buy and fit a new cap yourself? Hopefully that will fix it. If it doesn’t you have given the dealer a head start.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #2 on: 13 November 2019, 10:17 »
Probably worth seeing if anyone local has a Mk7 golf to compare how easily it comes off in comparison to yours. Mine's not exactly hard to unscrew but can't compare as it's all subjective lol.

Also, have a look at the seal on the inside of the cap - if it looks okay, it probably is.

I reckon it's one of those things to just keep an eye on and see if it happens again - if it does, pop it in the dealers and get them to have a look at it. I know it wouldn't be an expensive item to buy, but worth getting it done under warranty as (as long as it's reported within the warranty period) they will sort it, even if the car goes out of warranty in the meantime.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Zayd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 14 November 2019, 05:30 »
Cheers for the replies.  Car was driven for around 10 miles yesterday with no further EML, so hopefully all is well. 

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 14 November 2019, 08:49 »
My cap is a 1/4 turn with no "click" & easy to undo/do up...

You can get a new sealing ring from the dealer parts depts. as its a separate item & I replaced mine after 4 years as it started to go...

Offline Zayd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 15 November 2019, 03:01 »
My cap is a 1/4 turn with no "click" & easy to undo/do up...

You can get a new sealing ring from the dealer parts depts. as its a separate item & I replaced mine after 4 years as it started to go...

Thank you Dave, your input has been most helpful in deducing that the cap wasn't secured after refuelling.  Two days on and many miles of driving later, no further EML lights have surfaced.  I'll be sad to see this car go back in January, as I've found since owning a MK4 and MK5 GTI, this has proven to be a great evolution of this famed model to the current iteration as it stands today.  The car has been great in every aspect and I really can't fault its performance.  I may regret moving over to a new marque, but as quoted by Del boy, "He who dares!".