Author Topic: What to look out for when buying a mk1 golf cabriolet  (Read 3605 times)

Offline Youngben8

• Not said much yet
I am going to view a 1992 mk1 Golf clipper cabriolet with an auto gearbox and if I purchased it it would be my 1st mk1 so I was wondering if anyone could advise me to what bad bits to look out for prior to purchasing a mk1. I know about rear springs snapping but that is about it. The car has 70000 miles on the clock and comes with previous MOT's.

Offline hydro187

• Not said much yet
Re: What to look out for when buying a mk1 golf cabriolet
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2012, 23:00 »
sh!t loads fella just brought my 1st 1 in feb. check 2 make sure roof dnt leak fuel filler neck check passenger foot well 2 see if the floor is wet (water matrix) and check around the back area of the car were the fabric starts for the roof if rust there walk away fast

Offline Youngben8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2012, 15:23 »
Thank you for the help. I have not bought one at the min (Still looking) so anyone who can suggest anything else I would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: 04 June 2012, 15:18 by Youngben8 »

mogsmmm

« Reply #4 on: 11 July 2012, 22:51 »
check around the back area of the car were the fabric starts for the roof if rust there walk away fast

Sorry dudes, but if you're afraid of rust or spending money and time fixing (loving) it then you're not cut out to own a mk1.... FUGGEDDABOUDIT! *Italianamericannewyorkstyleaccent*

Fuel filler neck rusts but relatively cheap and easy to fit a new one yourself. BIG ONE: Bottom of rear window frame rust... you can't see this but look for signs 'cos a new window frame is expensive. Best thing to do if you do need a new hood is to get the liner, and rear frame done at the same time as you need to take the outer hood off to fit a new liner and the rear frame (which is always knacked). I got a new hood and put my old crusty window frame back in... still in there rusting away! The back metal lip hydro mentioned (where the roof tension cable runs at the bottom back of the hood) does rust but you can have that sorted easy, it's just a lip that creates  a channel for the cable to sit in and is not seen with the hood on. Mine rusted.. just peeled up the hood and took it back to metal and painted it.. voila.
Leaky/knackered roof... nothing £500 worth of rubber seals or roof can't fix though!

Engines are generally solid but pierberg 2b carbs and associated auto choke / non wax stat *black magic vacuum* - they're total dogsh.. replace with a weber for under £100 though.

You're in the wrong place... Get yourself onto here http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk

Rust never sleeps. x
« Last Edit: 11 July 2012, 22:57 by mogsmmm »