Author Topic: 2.0 16v on carbs into a MK1???  (Read 2506 times)

Offline Sammo

• Just got here
2.0 16v on carbs into a MK1???
« on: 26 August 2009, 18:02 »
I want to put a 2.0 16v from a Mk3 into my Mk1 Caddy but just to be different I want to put it on twin 40 webers.  Will I need to use a different dizzy?  Will any other dizzy fit the Mk3 head?

Help!

Cheers

Sammo

Offline deanpompey

• I live here
Re: 2.0 16v on carbs into a MK1???
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2009, 18:45 »
rubjonny will be along shortly to tell you whats what im sure.

but theres certainly nothin different about twin 40s fella!

valver on 40's has been donw again and again and again and again.....etc

not that im saying you shouldnt,  im in middle of lobbing one in my mk1 atm!

Offline plasticfantastic

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2009, 18:59 »
Dont bother with the twiin 40's, run it on propper digi 3 managment it'll be a far better engine.

Offline Sammo

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2009, 19:32 »
Dont bother with the twiin 40's, run it on propper digi 3 managment it'll be a far better engine.

Whats that then?

Offline plasticfantastic

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2009, 19:37 »
with propper management it will be more reliable, better on cold mornings, better on fuel, better power delivery. dont get me wrong, i love webbers in the right situation, we're fitting some to a toyota 4age 1600 to go into my dads morris van.

but they are old hat now and fuel injection is far better.

digi 3 is the management that abf's run on as standard.
« Last Edit: 26 August 2009, 19:42 by plasticfantastic »

Offline Sammo

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2009, 19:45 »
Its only a weekend hack and showmobile.  And it might make the odd trip to santa pod every now and then.  I want it to be as simple as possible.  Hence the carbs  :grin:

Offline plasticfantastic

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2009, 19:49 »
there is nothing simpler than propper management, carbs need continuous maintainence and tuning.

An ABF on carbs is a waste of an ABF, if you want to try something different then why not a vr6 on tripple webbers?

Offline deanpompey

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 26 August 2009, 22:30 »
there is nothing simpler than propper management, carbs need continuous maintainence and tuning.

An ABF on carbs is a waste of an ABF, if you want to try something different then why not a vr6 on tripple webbers?

have to disagree there, if carbs are correctly set up in first place and everything tightened up as it should be, then carbs should only need tuning around every 12k.

and i seriously fail to see why an abf on carbs is bad but a vr6 on carbs is good?

if you want to fit carbs, go for it. YES digi is better for reliablity, fuel efficiency etc etc.... BORING! when was the last time a digi made you smile like a carb'd motor did?!

carbs sound better, and IMO if set up properly will p**s all over an injection engine

Old Skool is the ONLY cool!

Offline Sammo

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 26 August 2009, 22:52 »

have to disagree there, if carbs are correctly set up in first place and everything tightened up as it should be, then carbs should only need tuning around every 12k.

and i seriously fail to see why an abf on carbs is bad but a vr6 on carbs is good?

if you want to fit carbs, go for it. YES digi is better for reliablity, fuel efficiency etc etc.... BORING! when was the last time a digi made you smile like a carb'd motor did?!

carbs sound better, and IMO if set up properly will p**s all over an injection engine

Old Skool is the ONLY cool!

That is my train of thought exactly.  I'm not a fan of injection.  Doesnt give it that old school feel when driving like carbs do.  I still need to know about the ignition setup though  :smiley:

Offline raferackstraw

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 26 August 2009, 23:39 »
guys you keep banging on about old school feel and carbs and all that but,

and i was there in the early 80s and carbs were NOT A VIABLE OPTION BACK THEN!

why the hell do think vw opted for mechanical fuel injection?

and how come the audi quattro 10v rally cars ran a similar system? answer

cos it gave them a better fuelling system than carbs!  :huh:
« Last Edit: 27 August 2009, 00:02 by raferackstraw »

wayne gardner smokes one rothmans too many
500cc 2stroke bad for ya health