Author Topic: What are your .:Rs like in the snow?  (Read 15763 times)

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
Re: What are your .:Rs like in the snow?
« Reply #60 on: 15 December 2017, 10:09 »

Sorry, who on earth has said that. The R’s AWD pretty well negates the need for winter tyres for 90+% of Golf owners for most of the time. Ok head to head in severe conditions the winters will win a race, but my recent experience and first in The R was excellent although it was so bad Monday I wouldn’t have driven even with winters.
I have a friend with a FWD Fiesta who lives near Aberdeen and they have winter tyres and need them!!
Then they are guaranteed severe winters. So makes sense.

You state that Aberdeen has sever winters...er NO, quite mild compared to various other places around here..I used to live in Aberdeen.. :wink:

You state that the "R" AWD negates the need for winter tyres for 90+% of Golf owners for most of the time."

So 90 % of Golf "R" owners live in a hot country which does not get ice, snow, or temps below +7C..???

I see way more "R" up here than GTI...then I see loads of GTD....

As for it being bad snow..the only thing that stops me is snow depth...6 inch plus on uncleared road I have problems....as I only have 5 inch ground clearance.... :grin:

Any conditions with temps below +7C winter tyres outperform summers...engineering fact....all due to the material containing more silica which stops the rubber going hard....& your summers will start to go hard at that temp...so you lose flex & grip contact with road....& that's any road, so even a nice clean dry road...

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #61 on: 15 December 2017, 10:14 »

Because 4 driven wheels versus 2 have 0 impact on braking performance and near 0 on cornering on ice?

Do you even know where your filler cap is on the car or rather have someone at the petrol station do it for you? This is a totally serious question.

*Moderator removed the image due to foul language. 👍🏻
« Last Edit: 15 December 2017, 10:57 by Jimble »

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #62 on: 15 December 2017, 11:35 »
Is there any way to block seeing certain members posts on this forum? I can think of a few I'd like to not see.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #63 on: 15 December 2017, 11:53 »
Is there any way to block seeing certain members posts on this forum? I can think of a few I'd like to not see.
I agree.

You prefer to post derogatory comments when people disagree with you, rather than contribute to the discussion.

I am astounded at the amount of snow driving God's there are on this forum. :laugh:

I bow to your superior knowlage :whistle:

But you're never wrong, how could anyone ever doubt you :rolleyes:

« Last Edit: 15 December 2017, 12:01 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #64 on: 15 December 2017, 12:12 »

ANY driven wheel needs to get grip & that is supplied by the tyre to roads contact patch....if you have summers on you lose compared to winter tyres...as summers go hard below +7C  & the contact patch changes & they don't have snipes

Modified for clarity now as posts were altered & got wrong end of stick... :embarrassed:
« Last Edit: 15 December 2017, 12:45 by golfdave »

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #65 on: 15 December 2017, 12:18 »
@golfdave

scanesare was not referring to you. The moderator removed information that would have made that clear.

The moderators have edited one of my post too. So I may be on thin ice. Now, do I need 4WD, winter tyres or a snorkel for thin ice? :evil:
« Last Edit: 15 December 2017, 12:28 by Daz Auto »

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #66 on: 15 December 2017, 12:20 »
@golfdave

scanesare was not referring to you. The moderator removed information that would have made that clear.

So who was he referring to as my post was directly above his.... :undecided:

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #67 on: 15 December 2017, 12:29 »
So who was he referring to as my post was directly above his.... :undecided:

I'll send you a PM.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #68 on: 15 December 2017, 12:33 »
The R’s AWD pretty well negates the need for winter tyres for 90+% of Golf owners for most of the time.
So you disagree with what Volkswagen say about 4WD and winter tyres?

At the risk of coming under enemy fire :rolleyes:, I see what CHB100 is getting at (I think) and agree that for many in the UK, winter tyres aren't a necessity. I have never owned winter tyres and have been driving for over 30 years. So presumably I should've crashed and died at least 20 times by now but amazingly, no. I don't think anyone is doubting the science or engineering that proves winter tyres are better in extreme conditions, it's just that normal tyres can cope for most most of the time and the extra expense is not worth it.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #69 on: 15 December 2017, 12:52 »

At the risk of coming under enemy fire :rolleyes:, I see what CHB100 is getting at (I think) and agree that for many in the UK, winter tyres aren't a necessity. I have never owned winter tyres and have been driving for over 30 years. So presumably I should've crashed and died at least 20 times by now but amazingly, no. I don't think anyone is doubting the science or engineering that proves winter tyres are better in extreme conditions, it's just that normal tyres can cope for most most of the time and the extra expense is not worth it.

Agree, but that's the nub of the problem...I see loads of people from down south & central belt driving up here on hols, ski-ing etc & basically having huge problems even on relatively clear roads....& they think because they have fancy electronic systems & AWD or 4WD that they are ok.....

Until they get passed by us on winters & or they end up in a ditch, or crashing into other people...that's what I hate is having to spend loads of time & skill driving around these people who are WAY out of their depth & they would have been far better of spending money on some winters or x-climates...which would mean they could cope better as they now have grip & it helps out us other drivers as we know they have some stopping & steering ability & won't slid into us at the slightest provocation...