Author Topic: Anyone in Manchester wanna check this MK7 with me?  (Read 2011 times)

Offline hellomk7

• Not said much yet
Anyone in Manchester wanna check this MK7 with me?
« on: 28 January 2024, 12:35 »
Hi guys.

New here and was hoping to get some help. I'm already set on getting an MK7 as an upgrade to my 85bhp Polo  :grin: But admitedly, no idea on what to check apart from the usual things.

Went to see this one yesterday - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202401095383321?sort=price-asc&advertising-location=at_cars&aggregatedTrim=GTI&make=Volkswagen&model=Golf&page=1&postcode=l1%204ds&price-to=15000&radius=100&transmission=Automatic&year-from=2014&fromsra

There was a weird dragging/rumble sound under that could be felt and heard on a cold start. That only lasted for about a min or 2 though. Service history is alright, DSG never been serviced. 6 owners... Also, I was only able to drive it for about 10 mins because I was late - completely my fault. I know for £9k there's definitely some work to be done there - I just wanna make sure I'm not buying a lemon and will last me for a couple of years.

It's also an indie traders rather than private sale so consurmer rights act should keep me "safe" for the first 6 months. Unless ofcourse they go bankrupt or just change trading names.

Willing to get beers or cash if you prefer!

Offline jh_97

• GTI forum regular
Re: Anyone in Manchester wanna check this MK7 with me?
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2024, 12:47 »
In case you're unaware of these, you can always run a reg check through the AA or CarVertircal for example (many YouTubers have a discount code for the latter) to check the history of the car. The AA will also visit the dealer to inspect the car. This is a little pricey at something like £150-200, but they check mechanical and electrical items as well as just visual, and also a short test drive. You have to ask the seller first if they're happy to accommodate this - you can always ask and if they say no, they might be trying to hide something...
2018 GTI PP DSG, Pure White, graphite Sevilles, Art Velours

Offline hellomk7

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2024, 12:51 »
In case you're unaware of these, you can always run a reg check through the AA or CarVertircal for example (many YouTubers have a discount code for the latter) to check the history of the car. The AA will also visit the dealer to inspect the car. This is a little pricey at something like £150-200, but they check mechanical and electrical items as well as just visual, and also a short test drive. You have to ask the seller first if they're happy to accommodate this - you can always ask and if they say no, they might be trying to hide something...

Thanks!

I've done a vcheck on it, can be found here: https://www.vcheck.uk/report/DL63EFK-3YT97QP.

The trader is happy to allow AA/RAC check but I thought looking for enthusiasts would be better. But yeah, no doubt I'll get it checked before buying it.

Would you buy or scroll past it based on the ad alone?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2024, 14:22 »
Looking through the pictures in the sellers ad., it looks as if it’s had some new paintwork on the driver’s side - the driver’s door is a noticeably dark shade than the rear door (see picture below). Also, the 6 speed DSG should be serviced every 40k miles, so with the car having done 98k miles, the DSG should’ve had two services by now which would be a bit of a red flag for me. 

Parcel shelf is missing from the photo of the luggage space. There are a few marks or stains on the front seats that would hopefully clean off.

There are a few minor scuff / kerb marks and what looks like some white worm corrosion on the diamond cut faces on some of the alloys, so they could do with a refurb. However, bear in mind that diamond cut alloys can only (usually) be refurbished twice; more than twice and the structural integrity of the alloys could be compromised, rendering them potentially unsafe. Therefore, if they’ve already had two refurbs, then they can’t be safely refurbished a third time with a diamond cut finish.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Online Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2024, 14:30 »
Ditto red flag on the DSG, not only a risk to the box itself but also indicative of a history of poor servicing.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2024, 14:33 »
I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole...run away!!...

Look at the vcheck report way too many MOT red & amber warnings...not been looked after...also the front & rear bumpers & the drivers door are different shade of silver...I recon its been crashed & not declared/claimed on insurance & privately fixed up.

Also missing the rear parcel shelf, & the spare wheel well is missing the screw for the wheel....centre console rear vents, right one is missing the knob to move it...

For a supposed clean car its dirty inside...& in places you don't normally get dirt!

Drivers seat bolster has given way...

The steering wheel has a cheap synthetic "carbon look" & leather look steering wheel cover...the type you sew on yourself...

& cheap DSG paddles.....

God knows how bad it looks up close!!...

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2024, 14:37 »
Also forgot to add...the company was only founded November 2023...

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/15310138

Offline hellomk7

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 28 January 2024, 16:23 »
Looking through the pictures in the sellers ad., it looks as if it’s had some new paintwork on the driver’s side - the driver’s door is a noticeably dark shade than the rear door (see picture below). Also, the 6 speed DSG should be serviced every 40k miles, so with the car having done 98k miles, the DSG should’ve had two services by now which would be a bit of a red flag for me. 

Parcel shelf is missing from the photo of the luggage space. There are a few marks or stains on the front seats that would hopefully clean off.

There are a few minor scuff / kerb marks and what looks like some white worm corrosion on the diamond cut faces on some of the alloys, so they could do with a refurb. However, bear in mind that diamond cut alloys can only (usually) be refurbished twice; more than twice and the structural integrity of the alloys could be compromised, rendering them potentially unsafe. Therefore, if they’ve already had two refurbs, then they can’t be safely refurbished a third time with a diamond cut finish.

Thanks, that's very detailed. I would never have noticed any of those.

____

To everyone else: Thank you all. I appreciate you. I think I should go with my gut instinct here and just pass.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 28 January 2024, 16:53 »
Does anyone else think the wheels don't look centred in the arches? Mainly the passenger side.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/