Author Topic: Still only boosting 14psi - UPDATE 13/1/12  (Read 7290 times)

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
Still only boosting 14psi - UPDATE 13/1/12
« on: 03 January 2012, 19:06 »
Right after fitting the THS cooler I only hit 14psi peak on a 3rd gear run and there is a definite lack of power so I'm in need of a boost leak test.

What I need is a definitive answer on how to leak test on the engine, bearing in mind I have a catch can fitted. I've got an attachment for a paint gun which can regulate air from the compressors at work and I can get a nylon bush turned to plug the TIP.

Do I need a valve to hold the pressure etc? Any help would be much appreciated  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 13 January 2012, 13:19 by Wazzzer »

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
Re: only boosting 14psi - boost leak test...
« Reply #1 on: 03 January 2012, 20:26 »
anyone? :huh:

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
« Reply #2 on: 03 January 2012, 20:40 »
You can use a tyre valve as long as you have a gauge  attached, that will just act as a one way valve.

R-tech custom remap - k04-001- 250bhp/311ftlb  :grin:

"Project track car" has begun :grin:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=247202.0

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
« Reply #3 on: 03 January 2012, 20:40 »
Can Nick help bud?

MKIV Mod Squadâ„¢ a part of the headlight police.

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 03 January 2012, 21:09 »
PM Big_Tone i believe he made his own successful one   :Wink:

To be honest, i thought you made one to though  :huh:
Project: Mk2 20vT trackslag
Daily: Mk2 GTI typ19

Offline blade4real2004

• GTI forum regular
  • golf gti with a touch of .:R
« Reply #5 on: 03 January 2012, 21:31 »
I had this issue when I fitted mine mate I boost leak tested had a few leaks sorted them and it was still the same it's only really come back to life after fitting the k04 001 I was peaking 22psi before fitting mine look at my under boost issue thread
k04s | jabba cai | stage 2 (Rtech) | forge 007p | forge boost hose set |forge tip | THS fmic | gen r line kit | bbs ch | TT short shift | R32 vents | full stainless | decat | auto windows | mk5'd boot
need a scan or mod with vagcom & vagtacho PM ME (south wales area)
my build thread - http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/236415.aspx?PageIndex=1

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #6 on: 03 January 2012, 22:26 »
You can use a tyre valve as long as you have a gauge  attached, that will just act as a one way valve.

good thinking that man, my brain just isn't in gear this evening :embarassed:

Can Nick help bud?

I've been in conversation with Nick via text the last few days, just today he chooses to go AWOL  :grin:

I had this issue when I fitted mine mate I boost leak tested had a few leaks sorted them and it was still the same it's only really come back to life after fitting the k04 001 I was peaking 22psi before fitting mine look at my under boost issue thread

will have a look now mate :afro:

PM Big_Tone i believe he made his own successful one   :Wink:

To be honest, i thought you made one to though  :huh:

Yeah I did kinda, not sure it's any good though :sad:

Offline Big Tone

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 04 January 2012, 09:19 »
Right after fitting the THS cooler I only hit 14psi peak on a 3rd gear run and there is a definite lack of power so I'm in need of a boost leak test.

What I need is a definitive answer on how to leak test on the engine, bearing in mind I have a catch can fitted. I've got an attachment for a paint gun which can regulate air from the compressors at work and I can get a nylon bush turned to plug the TIP.

Do I need a valve to hold the pressure etc? Any help would be much appreciated  :smiley:

I just turned a nylon bush up, drilled and tapped to accept a 1/4bsp needle valve with some compressor fittings, will post some pics if this will help.

As far as a definitive guide goes, I think it would be a good Idea to start a thread all about pressure testing and results as I get a small amount of leakage through the block but with nothing to compare it to, I dont know if I need to look into things further or if I am wasting my time.

I also get a bubbling in the sump when I test from the tip, which I am sure you must be able to stop.

Firstly though, I need a more aggressive map!

****FOR SALE**** 11 Months MOT, 5 Months Tax - 1.8T AUM, Stage 1 map, Lowered 35mm on Jamex Springs, Smoothed Airbox, Pipercross Panel, Forge 007P, N249 Bypass, Silicon Breather Hoses,Silicon Vac Hoses, Top Mounts & Bushes All Round, Catch Can Install,  New Discs and Pads All Round, A Big Sub, A SH*TLOAD of Polishing and A Thirst For V-POWER! Profile/msg for info!

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
« Reply #8 on: 04 January 2012, 10:16 »

I just turned a nylon bush up, drilled and tapped to accept a 1/4bsp needle valve with some compressor fittings, will post some pics if this will help.

As far as a definitive guide goes, I think it would be a good Idea to start a thread all about pressure testing and results as I get a small amount of leakage through the block but with nothing to compare it to, I dont know if I need to look into things further or if I am wasting my time.

I also get a bubbling in the sump when I test from the tip, which I am sure you must be able to stop.

Firstly though, I need a more aggressive map!

+1
Sounds like the tester would work and I also get the bumping in the sump and into the block unless I block the puck valve.

R-tech custom remap - k04-001- 250bhp/311ftlb  :grin:

"Project track car" has begun :grin:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=247202.0

Offline Big Tone

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 04 January 2012, 10:30 »
I get it when the puck is blocked, how does that work then? Lol

****FOR SALE**** 11 Months MOT, 5 Months Tax - 1.8T AUM, Stage 1 map, Lowered 35mm on Jamex Springs, Smoothed Airbox, Pipercross Panel, Forge 007P, N249 Bypass, Silicon Breather Hoses,Silicon Vac Hoses, Top Mounts & Bushes All Round, Catch Can Install,  New Discs and Pads All Round, A Big Sub, A SH*TLOAD of Polishing and A Thirst For V-POWER! Profile/msg for info!