Author Topic: First OBD11 Scan Results  (Read 6441 times)

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
Re: First OBD11 Scan Results
« Reply #30 on: 02 February 2024, 08:08 »
Had my mk7.5 245 performance pack from new till 79k FVWSH not one dealer ever mentioned the Diff service!
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #31 on: 06 February 2024, 09:50 »
Thanks for that Golfdave.
Last year I asked my dealer about changing front diff oil and they insisted it was sealed for life. And a request about this seemed utterly novel to them.
Last week, armed with your evidence I spoke to them again about my forthcoming service.
They have come back to say that after referring to their senior tech who has done some investigation, they agree the oil should be changed and are going to do this. Should be done every 3 years!
The cost of £127 is not part of the “All In” deal though.
It’s all very strange.
I will just be glad to get it done.

Glad it all worked out ok...

Just shows even now there are dealers where the senior tech still doesn't know his job & obviously doesn't read all the documents that they should do from VAG...the MK7 has only been out for 10yrs!!...

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #32 on: 06 February 2024, 12:13 »
Car got 5 yr svce yesterday, incl diff oil change.
The whole thing is bizarre. Last year they wouldn’t even acknowledge it.
Anyway, your evidence was v helpful, thank you.

2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 06 February 2024, 14:01 »
Car got 5 yr svce yesterday, incl diff oil change.
The whole thing is bizarre. Last year they wouldn’t even acknowledge it.
Anyway, your evidence was v helpful, thank you.

One of the reasons I started using a local Independent on my GTI’s 3rd Birthday.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Online jh_97

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #34 on: 09 February 2024, 13:26 »
Service all booked for the 20th. Thankfully Horsham VW have agreed the diff should be serviced every 3 years, price quoted is ~£150. This hasn't been done on the car yet so might be the cause of the issue, will see if this resolves it. They offered alternatively to carry out an investigation and diagnostics before servicing to see if something else is faulty, at a cost of just over £100. Think I'll try the service first and see what happens with the fault code. My warranty doesn't cover servicible components, so anything diffy is off the table  :sad:

Brake fluid change is also due, but they wouldn't price match anywhere else. They're charging £79 for it... A quick check on Halfords and Kwikfit and they charge £45-£50.

They also mentioned spark plugs are due every 4 years/40k miles, which also wasn't done by previous owner after 4 years. Again, can't imagine VW will be cheaper than anywhere else for this.
« Last Edit: 09 February 2024, 20:09 by jh_97 »
2018 GTI PP DSG, Pure White, graphite Sevilles, Art Velours

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 09 February 2024, 19:29 »
I think you’re wasting your money. Swapping the oil is not going to solve the issue, changing the pump might. And 2 oil changes pays for 1 pump.

VW must be laughing, btw. We’re all insistent they do a job they were saying isn’t necessary.

They’ve worked it out- easier just to do the job than argue with the customer.

Take my money! 😂
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #36 on: 09 February 2024, 19:51 »
Hmmmmm….are we ever going to get a forum member’s concensus on this? Seems a very divisive issue indeed.
I suppose where I got to was to do one oil change half way through my ownership.
Hang on…..does that mean In am going to hang to the car for 10 years?
Well, all things considered I can’t see an alternative right now.
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 09 February 2024, 20:00 »
Haha,

I’m being a bit mischievous tbh.

I ought to declare that I got my diff service done at 4 years-  though I am sceptical about the need for it.

I run and use a 36 year old french car- there’s no end to the money I could throw at that car, but I’ve worked out what to do and what to leave!

Online jh_97

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #38 on: 09 February 2024, 20:23 »
I think you’re wasting your money. Swapping the oil is not going to solve the issue, changing the pump might. And 2 oil changes pays for 1 pump.

Yeah the oil is unlikely to fix it, but they change the filter too which could just be clogged? My thinking was to see how that goes as it's due anyway, then book the diagnostic after if still needed. Although it's a good point regarding the cost of the pump. Would they replace the oil if a new pump is fitted anyway? Not sure on the layout of all the parts.
They have said later this afternoon that they'll match the prices on the VW website (lol), and diagnostics there is £60.
« Last Edit: 09 February 2024, 20:27 by jh_97 »
2018 GTI PP DSG, Pure White, graphite Sevilles, Art Velours

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #39 on: 09 February 2024, 20:33 »
Changing the oil and filter is very unlikely to sort the fault imho.

It’s not what I would do.

If the pump is not covered under warranty then there’s no hurry to get it investigated.

If you feel there’s a problem with performance, get the pump replaced for around £350? Obviously it would have fresh oil and filter too.

Otherwise just monitor it.
« Last Edit: 09 February 2024, 20:35 by Yusee »