Author Topic: Rust trap?  (Read 1505 times)

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
Rust trap?
« on: 17 March 2022, 08:48 »
I noticed on my car this morning that on the rear edge of the front wings there is a sponge material filling a gap between the A pillar and the wing. (can be seen with the doors opening)

This is completely soaked with water due to the wet weather yesterday and is holding it against the paint.

I was wondering, is this likely to be a future rust trap? I know the wings are relatively easy to replace but part of the foam sits on top of the sill which could be an issue.

It is a bit worrying as Mk5 Golfs suffered rust on the front wings at the top due to a similar sponge material holding moisture against the wing.

I am planning on keeping the car long term, so if there is going to be an issue I would rather sort it now.

Many thanks.  :smiley:
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Rust trap?
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2022, 09:42 »
I’ve not owned a mk7 / mk7.5 Golf but I did have a mk6 GTD that also had these foam filler pieces in the area that you describe, and they also used to become water saturated. I owned my mk6 Golf for 4.5 years from new and never had any corrosion issues, but maybe 4.5 years isn’t long enough for corrosion to start?

I’m on a number of VW forums and I’ve not read of any corrosion issues in that area on the mk6 Golf (and some early mk6’s will now be 13-14 years old). I’ve not read of any cases on the mk7 / mk7.5 either, although I think VW may have replaced that foam filler piece with a plastic insert on the mk7.5, as I’ve read of cases where the plastic insert has been fitted incorrectly, resulting paint being rubbed off the leading edge of the door panel.

In my last and current VW’s (a Polo GTI and GTI+), VW has also used a hard plastic filler panel in that area.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2022, 10:00 »
Thanks, I will have a look to see if it can be replaced with a plastic filler from a 7.5

If not I will have to sell the car before it becomes an issue. :)
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 17 March 2022, 10:13 »
I have a mk6 gti 2010 from new and this week removed the front under wing liner for the first time to check for dirt etc. Has the same foam lining and there is no rust after 12 years and surprisingly clean. Think vw may have learned the lesson from the mk5!
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 17 March 2022, 12:11 »
Was the foam liner wet?
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #5 on: 17 March 2022, 12:59 »
Mk6 had those too.  :wink:
https://youtu.be/ERJ5IRypx48
I bought replacements after i discovered it sprayed them with fabsil and they have repelled water since.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 17 March 2022, 17:35 »
I retro fitted the plastic end pieces from the MK7.5 to my car....& modified the OEM MK7 foam pieces...

The MK7.5 is noted for more noise from the front...those foam pieces help deaden the noise in the wheel arch cavity.

I cut the bottom 2inches of the foam pieces, & had to cut recess ion the foam for the tabs from the MK7.5 plastic trim piece to sit into..

To fit the plastic pieces you have to remove the doors & you have to remove them in a particular way due to them being on the air bag & safety sytems....If I remember correctly it was doors open, ignition on (engine off) & disconnect the battery....

Then a simple small tx socket to unto the hinge lock grub screw..& one 12 point for the catch stay..also pull up the top of the door wire harness unlock tab ..remember to fully lower the glass before disconnecting the battery...makes it easier to lift the doors off...two people one to lift the other to guide...set door down some where protected i.e. thick carpet/old curtain..

When refitting get the door back on, harness connected etc...leave door open, & key must be as it was (ignition on engine off)...reconnect battery...

You will get loads of warning lights on he dash which will NOT remove with VCDS as the car needs to be driven for it to "check" that everything is ok...

:cool:

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 17 March 2022, 18:34 »
Just checked my MY19 GTI - plastic blanking plates. Checked wife’s 2011 Polo, foam inserts, seem dry (it peed it down yesterday). Touch wood, no corrosion 🤞.
« Last Edit: 17 March 2022, 18:38 by Adam T7 »
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 17 March 2022, 19:02 »
Was the foam liner wet?
No it was dry - been in the garage a couple of days after a wash. The foam seems to be water repellent and certainly does not drip water when squeezed. No sign of rust on the paint behind the foam.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 17 March 2022, 22:24 »
Thanks for the help guys, the car is a 2016 so almost 6 years old and no rust.

They have dried out pretty well today, only the very bottom is wet. I might dry soaking some water repellent spray (Like the Fabsil mention in a post above) to see what happens.

I was also considering a Focus ST before I bought the Golf, but was put off as Fords tend to rust much more than VW's in my experience. I don't want my GTI to go rusty before it's time either.
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i