Author Topic: 20vt mk2 sleeper project.written off :(  (Read 116351 times)

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
Re: 20vt mk2 sleeper project. updated page 59 MOT PASSED
« Reply #600 on: 14 May 2014, 14:35 »
been a while since I posted on here so bit of an update.

The car is running well at the moment, had yet another coil pack issue so I have replaced all four with Bosch items and touch wood, no further issues.

as you can see from this picture -

the install was done without too much thought given to aesthetics. This is a cause of embarrassment now as people are keen to see my engine bay.  As a result I am now making plans for the motor to come out again this winter so the bay can be cleaned and painted.  I am doing a few bits as I go along to limit the down time.

Firstly the battery and washer bottle are heading for the boot and I am replacing the radiator (and custom housing unfortunately) with a BMW E36 item, as this means the header tank is no longer needed.

I am also getting the charge pipe that runs from the turbo to the intercooler replaced.  It is currently made up of 4 seperate sections, as we simply made do with what we had but I am getting a stainless pipe mandrell bent by PP Tuning in Louth, Lincs. The pipe is going to run just above the gearbox too, and along with the battery relocation is going to allow me to get some kind of heat shield and cold air feed to the filter.  While the car is at PP Tuning the backbox is being replaced.  I am having one made up to replicate a standard box, or something along those lines.  I am sh!t at drawing so I am putting a lot of trust that Jase and I are singing off the same hymn sheet.

After months on borrowed pepperpots I have fitted a set of Leon Cupra 16's, although these are also temporary while i get my Tommy Kaira wheels sorted, just need centre caps machining, then painting and rebuilding.

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
Re: 20vt mk2 sleeper project. updated page 59 MOT PASSED
« Reply #601 on: 21 June 2014, 10:53 »
New exhaust on!

2.5" turbo back into a stock looking back box. just had the picture come through, collecting the car tomorrow

i wanted to show a before and after but it seems the old backbox is so offensive i dont have a single picture of the back end of the car!

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
Re: 20vt mk2 sleeper project. new exhaust on
« Reply #602 on: 03 September 2014, 16:34 »
got myself a new set of wheels.

7.5x16 et30 5x100 Japanese Euro'x 3 piece splits.  From what i can fathom they ceased trading years ago and were a manufacturer of custom wheels, similar to Image

They will be refurbed when i have the time

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
Re: 20vt mk2 sleeper project. new exhaust on
« Reply #603 on: 03 September 2014, 16:36 »
and a cheeky shot from vw festival. sadly i couldnt attend but my mate took my car.

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
Re: 20vt mk2 sleeper project.written off :(
« Reply #604 on: 17 November 2014, 12:20 »
back to square one :(

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #605 on: 17 November 2014, 12:28 »
its been a long and winding road getting this car built and running how I wanted.

it was due to come off the road this winter for a full tear down, repaint and rebuild to a far better standard than the original build. Some things are just not meant to be.

For those interested, I was coming up to a stop when I was hit pretty hard in the side. Sadly the driver of the car that hit me had passed away at the wheel. It could have been far far worse and I am very greatful that there were no other serious injuries sustained.  I am suprised at how well the shell took the impact, the b pillar did a perfect job.

Silver linings, the only glass that was broken was the driver door glass, and it was clear, not green, the green one is in my unit so I have a full set of 16v type 19 glass! And now I get to do it all over again, but at least I have everything needed to drop the front end into another CE1 car.

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #606 on: 17 November 2014, 12:32 »
Bloody hell mate! Didn't hear about this.  :sad:

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
« Reply #607 on: 17 November 2014, 12:33 »
Whoa! We're you all ok mate?
Sorry to hear it but luckily the mk2 can stand up to a bit of a beating!

R-tech custom remap - k04-001- 250bhp/311ftlb  :grin:

"Project track car" has begun :grin:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=247202.0

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #608 on: 17 November 2014, 12:42 »
sam it was on the telegraph website about 3 weeks ago, i was in the car with my mate, just heading home.

The other car ended up on its side. I am not religious but thank your god nobody else was in his car. was quite a terrifying moment when I saw the child seat.

Had a few sleepless nights over it.  The police were great. explained that because it was a fatal my car had to go for inspection etc.  when it was confirmed he died before the accident it made a massive difference to how i felt about everything. still dont like to think about it particularly, and a very scary experience but i dont feel like I had a part in his death, it was just a case of wrong place wrong time.  To be fair though had he not hit me he would have hit a house.

I feel really bad for his family, he was a local man as well. rip

Offline Waspy

• I live here
« Reply #609 on: 17 November 2014, 12:50 »
Wow, glad you are alright!

How did the insurance handle it? Presumably its back in your possession
It's a mk2. Fill it, drive it, enjoy it.  :smiley: