Author Topic: Best brake discs and pads for "spirited" road use?  (Read 4195 times)

Offline sjw

• I live here
Best brake discs and pads for "spirited" road use?
« on: 21 December 2021, 21:49 »
As the title suggests, I will at some point in the next year be requiring new discs and pads, front and back, and I'm wondering...

1) What's a typical cost for these, for OEM parts?

2) Are there any parts out there that aren't TOO much more expensive that are a worthy upgrade?

My car is extremely unlikely to see a track, so I'm looking at road use and daily duties. Obviously slotted rotors look amazing but I don't know if there are any that fit the brief.

So let's hear it - what would you go for? OEM may be the best option but that's a little boring  :laugh:

On the completely flip side, on autodoc there are pads that supposedly fit a GTI that cost 25 odd quid - are they useless? Seems mental that there are some that are that cheap and some that are in the hundreds!

Offline baka

• GTI forum regular
Re: Best brake discs and pads for "spirited" road use?
« Reply #1 on: 22 December 2021, 02:42 »
Ferodo DS2500's are a safe bet for fast road pads. Though personally I find the stock PP setup excellent for the road.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 22 December 2021, 07:52 »
I would say for occasional spirited driving OEM would be best.

Uprated pads are ok but designed to work at higher temps and therefore not as effective when pottering to see your granny.

Maybe a halfway house solution with some drilled/grooved discs and OEM pads??

2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2021, 09:20 »
If you've the Performance Pack I'd say OEM as well, big brakes are more of a liability to your teeth and windscreen in slow traffic, been there before...

There's also a quick hack to get 200% better braking power, if you try using your left foot randomly  :wink: :grin:
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2021, 13:04 »
OEM pads as the friction compound has been optimised for that particular model of car.

Not like some aftermarket pads which have the same physical shape and compound for all models that pad fits weather it be a GTI or base version.

EG, a GTI compound is different to a 1.6 TDi estate compound due to the weight, type of expected driving, etc, etc.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 23 December 2021, 16:57 »
ATE or Brembo are good so are Textar...

If you want better performance, Ferrodo as has been said above...

How about the 340mm "two piece" lighter weight discs from the CCS/R performance??

Offline madstaff

• I live here

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 24 December 2021, 13:18 »
I just noticed you wanted front and rear discs.

For the rears for all they really do I'd stick with standard, the fronts do the majority of the braking.

Fronts, as others have said stick with standard pads or Ferrodo is generally the go to, but disc wise what about 'J' Hooked or slotted discs, personally I wouldn't do drilled just more chance of them warping.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 27 December 2021, 18:26 »
Mtec brakes generally get a lot of good reviews. I'm currently debating if it's worth upgrading my standard GTI front brake setup to the PP setup, not sure if it's worth the cost or not.
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 03 January 2022, 19:14 »
Don't mean to high jacking this thread or anything as my message is related.

Just had my service and MOT done. All passed with flying colours but the local garage said I should have new discs and pads on the front. They said something about it being an MOT pass (as I had zero advisories) but it's below the recommended level set by VW for the GTi. Anyone ever heard this before?  :grin:

I just told them to leave it for now.... I only do a couple of thousand miles a year. The guy said I should definitely get them replaced soon though when I went to collect the car. Surely not if I do such low miles and it flew through the MOT with no advisories?. I questioned if I should just replace the pad but they said the discs are worn so will rip the pads up faster so it's not worth doing one and not the other currently