Author Topic: Horney's 'James Shead' 1988 BTCC Golf GTI replica build.  (Read 177270 times)

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: Horney's trackday MKII 8v - Project late 80's BTCC replica.
« Reply #790 on: 10 July 2010, 19:28 »
Yeah take the shear bolts out (I used an Irwin bolt extractor) and then replace with longer normal bolts and I used a couple of nuts as spacers.

If yours has already been done and you want to change it drop the lower dash sections out and remove the clocks and you'll see it all plain as day.

Been out for a test drive and the car feels so much more agile and before it was a bit of handful but now it's sublime. Really really chuffed. One of the nest things I've done to it and it cost less than £60 and I should get a chunk of that back from selling the old wheel.

nick

Offline cняis

• I live here
  • Know there's something burning over there...
« Reply #791 on: 10 July 2010, 21:37 »
good news, thanks for the reply too  :smiley:

I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #792 on: 16 July 2010, 20:47 »
No worries bud.

Just opened todays post and my trackpass, wristband and associated paperwork have arrived for the VAG Trackday next Saturday. Quite excited now!

Got a few jobs to do on friday including an oil change and some adjustments to the seats. I might also swap out the rear shocks for the newer ones if I have time but it's not a priority.

Nick

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #793 on: 17 July 2010, 00:11 »
Column now dropped by 2cm and the driving position with the new dished wheel feels superb. I'll take it out for a test in a bit and see if I can find any ST's to upset.

Nick

:laugh: Did you find any

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #794 on: 17 July 2010, 07:54 »
Sadly no.

Nick

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #795 on: 23 July 2010, 12:16 »
Houston we have a problem.

Just changed the oil and there was an alarming amount of swarf in it for a car that's only done 500 miles since the last oil change. Also I'm sure the bottom end is now knocking a bit but I could be paranoid.

Will have to see how it goes tomorrow but if it starts to sound rough then I'll be packing up and nursing it home.

Looks like the next job on the list is engine out and have a nosey at the bottom end with a view to a rebuild or heaven forbid an ABF conversion.

Nick

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #796 on: 23 July 2010, 12:21 »
Houston we have a problem.

Just changed the oil and there was an alarming amount of swarf in it for a car that's only done 500 miles since the last oil change. Also I'm sure the bottom end is now knocking a bit but I could be paranoid.

Will have to see how it goes tomorrow but if it starts to sound rough then I'll be packing up and nursing it home.

Looks like the next job on the list is engine out and have a nosey at the bottom end with a view to a rebuild or heaven forbid an ABF conversion.

Nick

Does not sound good.

Not sure what spec it is now but maybe a 2.0 conversion could be a step forward.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #797 on: 23 July 2010, 12:26 »
It's a 1.9 at the moment. Don't really want to go 2.0 bottom end as they're not as revvy.

Fingers crossed the knocking is nothing new and I'm just worrying over nothing and the swarf is from the new oil pump I fitted recently. It probably isn't but I can hope. :grin:

Nick

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #798 on: 23 July 2010, 12:38 »
It's a 1.9 at the moment. Don't really want to go 2.0 bottom end as they're not as revvy.

Fingers crossed the knocking is nothing new and I'm just worrying over nothing and the swarf is from the new oil pump I fitted recently. It probably isn't but I can hope. :grin:

Nick

Fingers crossed then.

If not and I hate to say it 16v could be a step foward.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #799 on: 23 July 2010, 12:43 »

Nick

Fingers crossed then.

If not and I hate to say it 16v could be a step foward.

I always said I'd ABF it if I nuked the engine but I do love the way it drives so I think if the worst happened I'd look at a crank regrind and fresh bearings before deciding to bin the lump and go 16v.

Nick