Author Topic: Golfyste's road legal mk4 "project track car"  (Read 115147 times)

Offline whileoceanasleeps

• I live here
  • patience comes to those who wait.
Re: Golfyste's road legal mk4 "project track car"
« Reply #70 on: 28 February 2013, 09:49 »
good work man keep the updates and photos coming!

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
« Reply #71 on: 01 March 2013, 21:37 »
Cheers man  :cool:

Not to much progress yesterday or today as yesterday I had to finish early to go fix my brothers heating and today I've been on the push iron all day!

But anyway I got a little bit of design done for the feet on the Main hoop!
Just used cardboard to make the required shapes which will be cut out of 3mm steel.

Think I'm going to use the plasma cutter at work to cut the steel to shape ready for welding  :smiley:

R-tech custom remap - k04-001- 250bhp/311ftlb  :grin:

"Project track car" has begun :grin:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=247202.0

Offline jonrandom

• I live here
« Reply #72 on: 02 March 2013, 17:47 »
Some good work mate looking forward to more updates  :smiley:

Offline whileoceanasleeps

• I live here
  • patience comes to those who wait.
« Reply #73 on: 02 March 2013, 20:21 »
are you going to weld the cage to the plates or bolt it down?

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
« Reply #74 on: 03 March 2013, 16:41 »
Cheers lads!
Was occupied with a stag do all yesterday so not really been in the mood today haha
....but! I have just fetched a aum engine to start rebuild and messing with!  :grin:

I think I'm just going to bolt it down....someone mentioned something against welding it but I can't remember what....

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
« Reply #75 on: 09 March 2013, 18:41 »
Ok time for a little update

Didn't do much last week dues to going on a stag do and also working (I work 12 hour shifts so don't get any spare time for the car when working but have lots of time off  :grin: )

I made a start on the custom seat rails!
the plan is to make some temporary mounts for these seats as they are base mounted and i will be looking at upgrading later in the year.

So the plan is have two brackets with flat plate going across that the seats can bolt to.

The brackets

as you can see the rails are very slanted and quite far back which makes the seat sit very close to the cage actually hitting it unles you raise the back end up and there isnt really any space to adjust forward...

The original seat rails also don't seem very strong so i think i will be fobbing that idea off and welding some box section across and bolting to that!

I also picked a aum engine up at the start of the week with harness, ecu, lambdas and pretty much everything left on like alternator, coilpacks etc etc for a nice price of £350  :smiley:
(forgot to get a photo before i tucked it away  :laugh:)

then we skip to today where these arrived!  :grin:

a nice set of AGU pistons.....but on a letter inside he has written AGU/BAM pistons.
Now i know they are both 20mm gudgen pins but if im correct the AGU are 9.5 CR and the BAM are 9 or 8.5 CR so how can i tell the difference??   :huh:

more pics....

Then this morning i had a job fixing a s***y corsa  :laugh: (crankshaft sensor and lambda)
Then had some dinner and got on with sorting the feet for the cage  :cool:

Now I need to say Both mine and my dads welding is half decent (dads is better) but our mig welder is a pile of crap (completely packed up later on) so it was a case of welding then grinding then welding etc to make sure we got it all nice and strong  :wink: (so dont worry if you see a crappy weld on one of the photos  :laugh:)

All the template had been cut out oversized by my dad at work on the plasma so was a case of trimming and then tacking.

first one tacked in place....

and then we skip a while due to me getting stuck in and forgetting about the camera   :rolleyes:

Inside welded up  :smiley:

Welded up and in place....

Passenger side all welded up  :cool:

And in place

and then when trying to mess with the welder to trying to get it to give a better weld it decided to blow a fuse and then completely pack up so its all on hold to we can sort somethin out  :sad:

Also have this small piece on angle to weld on the transmission tunnel to allow the shifter frame to bolt straight...

Just a look at how it will sit  :smiley:

So now I need to decided what i can do while i wait for a welding solution  :laugh:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #76 on: 20 March 2013, 19:25 »
Just looking through this at your feet for the cage.  If you might want to enter any sort of competition in the future I would recommend you get some reinforcement plates laid around the bottom of those foot boxes.

Have a look at page 177 in the Blue Book for correct footplate construction:

http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_forms/bluebooks/11/152-190%20Competitor%20Safety.pdf

Note no vertical bits of 3mm steel pointing down at the floor of the car.

I know it might seem like ballache, but if you're doing something like this you want to get it right - that's why I had an experienced guy come round last week and talk through what we're doing with Dave's install.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
« Reply #77 on: 20 March 2013, 22:15 »
Hmmm so I could just add some bits to the feet where they all point down to make it bend outward a and sit flat?
Tbh I don't have any plans of competing partly because of the cost of getting all in date seats, harnesses and what not buy it would be nice to know I could if I wanted
Still on hold as I need I sort my welder out  :undecided:

As a side not I purchased some tt225 hubs and quick rack  :grin:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #78 on: 20 March 2013, 22:23 »
You need to pretty much put some strips of metal under where the boxes will land and weld those strips to the floor of the car, to provide a reinforced landing location to spread any forces from the cage feet.  Once that's done, weld the boxes on top of those.

It depends on the discipline you're doing as to whether everything has to be in-date.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
« Reply #79 on: 20 March 2013, 22:36 »
Ahhh I see
Will look at doin that then doesn't sound like to much work  :smiley:
Hmm possible then but I don't think it's going to be in the near future  :laugh: