Author Topic: why are HIC website quotes so expensive ?  (Read 2761 times)

Offline twoblacklines

• Just got here
why are HIC website quotes so expensive ?
« on: 20 May 2007, 18:32 »
Did a quote, 1990 8v 5 door gti mk2

with backbox, and air filter, and lowering springs declared.

im 20 with three years ncb and a completely clean license.

i live in one of the lowest crime rate places in the country and car is secured in garage by locked electric door

and my quote................

Highway Classic Car £1913.57

Thats more than double what elephant want for a mk3 vr6.....
« Last Edit: 21 May 2007, 09:57 by topher »

sharpie

Re: why are HIC so expensive ?
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2007, 18:44 »
electric door

that sounds dangerous!  :wink:

dunno about your post mate - elephant was cheapest out the main insurance companies for me... but sure a few folk on here have had good deals wi HIC

Offline Stu.750

• I live here
  • MMMMMMM Rust my favourite
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2007, 18:45 »
Are you ure the quoted u right ?

tho elephant is a 10 month bonus thingy that from what i hear causes problems in itself

doesnt sound like a very HIC price

sharpie

« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2007, 18:48 »
tho elephant is a 10 month bonus thingy that from what i hear causes problems in itself

what's the problems with this? i'm on the bonus accelerator just now but don't have any NCB yet

Offline twoblacklines

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2007, 18:54 »
i did it direct on herts insurance web quote and that was the only price quoted TPFT with £500 excess (cheaper to scrap car than lose ncb)

Offline rowlers

• I live here
  • I'm back - MK7 GTI
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2007, 20:07 »
phone them for a more competitive quote!!

Mine is £250 fullt comp for me and my wife! (I'm 30, wife is 36 clean licences), this is with all mods declared as well!

Offline Stu.750

• I live here
  • MMMMMMM Rust my favourite
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2007, 09:25 »

what's the problems with this? i'm on the bonus accelerator just now but don't have any NCB yet

Just Read that when you move to a full 12 month policy some places wont accept the bonus accelerator as a full 12 months no claims , better askin martin as im just repeating whats been said already , and ive slept since then so its probably something ive drempt

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
Re: why are HIC website quotes so expensive ?
« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2007, 09:58 »
original title edited, the website in no way reflects the deals that martin searches for.

Offline gtibob

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2007, 14:27 »
Elephant are part of Admiral group, if my experience is anything to go by you might wish you were insured with someone else in the event of a claim

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2007, 23:54 »
As people have said its always worth ringing up as there are schemes available that are not available online and when the rates are not competitive more often than not if the risk is ok i can talk my boss into a deal. If you read the sticky at the top here: http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=51793.0 it explains that and i did post it up to try and avoid threads like this  :huh:.

online quotes are generated by the information you enter so you will not benefit from being able to discuss you options with someone experienced in trying to negotiate good deals and advise you of ways to lower the premium.

i live in one of the lowest crime rate places in the country

unfortunately your idea of the crime rate in your area does not really have much bearing on an insurers rates, it is based on claim stats so if an insurer has had a lot of claims in a particular area then they may class it as high risk. Also sooooooo many people come out with this line and are often surprised, after all surely the nicer cars in a nicer area provide better pickings to the scummy thieves than the sh!tters where they probably live.

I agree that the price you recieved sounds ridiculous and far too high, im sure i could probably improve on it however bear in mind that the cheapest is not always the best. Cars like a mk2 8v and my corrado etc are worth nothing to mainstream insurers, i could get insurance on my car for half of what i pay but i happily pay extra in the knowledge that the modifications are properly covered and that i will be paid out the true value of the vehicle not the "book" price if it is ever written off. Just ask your local vw dealership what they would value your mk2 at for a trade in to give you an idea, or i could show you a thread recently on E38 about a guy who didnt do an agreed valuation on his 20v turbo mk2 (£7000) and after his insurers deducted his excess he was offered about £50.

the 10month bonus accelerators are a waste of time in my opinion. The price looks cheaper but its a shorter policy so its gonna be, hey if we wanted to we could offer an 8month policy and that would look cheaper still! Yeah they say they will give you a years no claims bonus but this is only acceptable to them so they have you over a barrell if you want to go elsewhere or modify your car. The majority of other companies wont accept it as its essentially a marketing gimmick to get you to go with them in the 1st place, a years no claims bonus is for a year which is 12 whole months!

I hope that explains some of it a bit anyway and helps, feel free to get in touch if you want me to have a look at that quote for you.

Martin  :smiley: