Author Topic: Oil light and buzzer - help!  (Read 10729 times)

Offline monty001

• Just got here
Oil light and buzzer - help!
« on: 10 August 2009, 19:56 »
Hi, I've a Mk1 Gti, and the oil light and buzzer are on, non-stop. I need help here to sort out garage won't MOT till sorted. The light and buzzer are there with ignition on - and stay on no matter what I do. They came on all of a sudden. Oil is fine, pressure is good I think as oil is pumping up to the rocker. I've tried taking off the yellow wire on the low pressure sensor, (and earthered) nothing... stays on. Taken off the blue/black wire off the high pressure sensor, and earthered, nothing - light on and buzzer.

I think it must be electrical - but don't know what to do next. Perhaps I should change the both oil sensors (assuming I can get them from the VW main dealer)? Anyone able to help?

Cheers and many thanks

Monty

Offline kraM

• Here all the time
  • It's not the speed, it's the sudden stops...
Re: Oil light and buzzer - help!
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2009, 23:06 »
Have a look at this similar post...

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=125082.0

Sorry, not clever enough to make the link work, but there is a guy several post below this one with the same problem.

kraM
It's not the speed... it's the sudden stops...

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2009, 08:38 »
if the buzzer comes on with the ignition with engine off its your clocks that are buggered. mk2 clocks have the pressure warning system on a seperate circuit board clipped to the speedo, if mk1 is the same you could pull this out and bin it, that would disable the light & buzzer for the mot
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline monty001

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2009, 23:06 »
Many thanks... I'll pull off the dash/clocks and have a look tomorrow.... see what I can see.... Hopefully I can junk the thing and get it to stop buzzing! I'll post a reply when I find out... JIC someone else has similar issue.

Cheers

Monty

Offline raferackstraw

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 11 August 2009, 23:38 »
just a quick one to check is your dipstick

i did a service on a mates campaign whom had the low oil buzzer going at low revs

it turned out that he had about a litre of oil in the system when i drained it  :huh:

turns out that the plastic stop on the dipstick was loose and allowed the dipstick to give a false reading  :huh:

make sure you have at leat 3.5ltr of oil in engine

wayne gardner smokes one rothmans too many
500cc 2stroke bad for ya health

Offline monty001

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 12 August 2009, 09:28 »
Ta for that. I've checked and loads of oil. I changed the oil/filter when I got the car. The buzzer and light just happened, no explanation. I checked pressure, all OK. So I think it must be something broken on the board/clock. I'll pull the dash out and have a look. Might see something silly like a broken wire or bad earth... Cheers  Monty

Offline monty001

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 14 August 2009, 03:41 »
OK - I've now changed the two hi and low pressure sensors... no joy. It is electical problem with the clocks. I can't get at the clocks - I've removed the lower dash panels, and ash tray and radio - but not sure how to remove clocks. Do I need to remove the full dash? Is there a quick way to remove clocks? How do I remove the dash?

Spent 4 hours yesterday pulling and pishing wires... now the lcd is not working - so I am sure there's a problem with the clocks. If I need to replace, any advice on getting a clock? Scrap/breaking? Any advice? Cheers - from a very frustrated GTi owner!

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #7 on: 14 August 2009, 10:13 »
you need to remove all the switches and blanks then the clock surround/swit5ch holder comes out. the switches either side of the clocks have a trim plate over them, you need to pop these out before the switches can be removed
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline K3VWT

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 05 September 2009, 11:49 »
Hi, I've a Mk1 Gti, and the oil light and buzzer are on, non-stop. I need help here to sort out garage won't MOT till sorted. The light and buzzer are there with ignition on - and stay on no matter what I do. They came on all of a sudden. Oil is fine, pressure is good I think as oil is pumping up to the rocker. I've tried taking off the yellow wire on the low pressure sensor, (and earthered) nothing... stays on. Taken off the blue/black wire off the high pressure sensor, and earthered, nothing - light on and buzzer.

I think it must be electrical - but don't know what to do next. Perhaps I should change the both oil sensors (assuming I can get them from the VW main dealer)? Anyone able to help?

Cheers and many thanks

Monty

Have you managed to sort this out?
I had a similar problem with my mk1. Was advised to change oil pressure switches by one garage, told i needed a new oil pump by another and told i needed a new set of clocks by someone else! I wasn't convinced, so got myself a mechanical oil pressure gauge (didn't want to rely on accuracy of electrical sensors etc) and connected it directly to the oil filter housing. It showed i had plenty of pressure at tick over and oil pressure rise as revs were increased. The book says the buzzer will come on if the oil fails to reach 2 bar at 2000revs. It was fine. I removed the clocks and on the back is a circuit board, L-shaped, with a buzzer (looks like a relay) mounted on it. The sensor circuit reads the revs of the engine and the oil pressure and then switches the buzzer on when necessary. That L-shaped circuit board was about £70 from the main stealers about 8 years ago and i think it is still shown on their system as available. Pt no 321 919 064 K, fitted to about a dozen different models/spec vehicles in the VAG range. After checking the connections to the clocks and looking for any obvious faults, i then traced the wiring from the pressure switches, through the loom to the dash, with the help of a haynes manual wiring diagram. I bypassed the cable running from the pressure switch to the dash and it started working fine. It turns out that the insulation on the loom had rubbed through where it passes through the bulkhead behind the dash and had left me with an open circuit. A piece of wire and a couple of crimp connectors later and it was as good as new! I'd strongly suggest you check your wiring before spending a lot of money on parts you probably wont need. If it turns out to be the L-shaped circuit board there should be plenty of them out there, I might even have one in the garage! :grin:

Offline monty001

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 07 September 2009, 11:50 »
Hello - many thanks for your post. My golf clock didn't have an external L shaped buzzer. The blooming buzzer was inside the clock. The light stayed on and the buzzer on even with just the ignition turned on (with the engine running). My guess is that there is a fault with the clock/PCB - not the wiring. I had to cut a small hole in the clock and 'disable' the buzzer (by pushing a screw driver into it!). The red light is now permenatly on. I did end up changing the sensors (no difference) - so put it down to duff clock.

I've check pressure in engine and (like yours) no problem with pressure. Thanks again

Monty