Author Topic: Oil Temp Buzzer  (Read 2710 times)

Offline duncan.d

• Just got here
Oil Temp Buzzer
« on: 04 August 2009, 14:18 »
I have a Mk 1 Golf GLI 1800 convertible, the oil temp buzzer goes off at 2000rpm. i have fitted a oil pressure gauge which says that pressure and temp are fine. im led to believe this is a common electrical fault. i also believe there is a small circuitboard which can be fitted to the back of the speedo-head to resolve the problem. VW no longer stock the part, has anyone any idea where i can source the part or any other info about solving the fault?

thanks.
d.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Oil Temp Buzzer
« Reply #1 on: 04 August 2009, 15:35 »
it could be the white pressure sensor itself thats gone, its the large one on the filter housing
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline duncan.d

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 04 August 2009, 16:03 »
it could be the white pressure sensor itself thats gone, its the large one on the filter housing

thanks very much but i have already changed both oil pressure switches and both temp senders. I know this is a recognised fault and that after the original recall this circuit board was produced to fix the problem.

d.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #3 on: 04 August 2009, 16:31 »
ok if you replaced the sensors then its either a wiring fault or the clocks themselves as you say. there are many different types of MK1 clocks available based on the year, so you might struggle finding a set with exactly the same pcb as yours. the mk2 clocks had the oil warning buzzer on a seperate L shaped circuit board on the speedo itself, but i dont thing its the same on MK1 clocks. 
Might be worth a look under the dash on my cabby I had spade connectors under here for the oil warning wires where the car part joins the dash part, these may simply have become disconnected on yours.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline duncan.d

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 04 August 2009, 16:59 »
ok if you replaced the sensors then its either a wiring fault or the clocks themselves as you say. there are many different types of MK1 clocks available based on the year, so you might struggle finding a set with exactly the same pcb as yours. the mk2 clocks had the oil warning buzzer on a seperate L shaped circuit board on the speedo itself, but i dont thing its the same on MK1 clocks. 
Might be worth a look under the dash on my cabby I had spade connectors under here for the oil warning wires where the car part joins the dash part, these may simply have become disconnected on yours.

Thanks very much, I'll have a look at that.

d.

Offline kraM

• Here all the time
  • It's not the speed, it's the sudden stops...
« Reply #5 on: 04 August 2009, 22:12 »
... if the proper way of doing it (rubjonny) doesn't work, I am sure it will, then I used the following professional method *ahem* on a mates late 16v MK2.

Take out dash pod, still connected to wiring

Turn on engine,

Rev until buzzer sounds

Find where phuqing anoying buzzing coming from

Take 6mm drill bit in drill

Apply to buzzer (and nothing else)

No more buzzing, and a strange sense of peace...

kraM
Aim at
It's not the speed... it's the sudden stops...