Author Topic: Stupid service schedule  (Read 5818 times)

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
Re: Stupid service schedule
« Reply #40 on: 25 November 2022, 09:19 »
My Clubby had it's first oil service yesterday (17 months old and 17,000 miles).  I have a c.£400 plan to cover the first two services.   I pointed out to the dealer that the oil service was due at 16,800 miles and the "inspection" was scheduled as due 80 days later.   The service manager said the inspection was just a matter of checking a few extra items so he'd do that at the same time to save booking in again.  It was all be treated as being within the first oil service, so he didn't charge anything for it.

Interestingly, when I booked my service the dealership sent me a pre-booking form (!) showing a charge to me of £230 (despite me telling them I had a service plan) but after the service they gave me the job sheet showing that they only charged £130 to VW.   The inspection just seems like an opportunity for them to look at your car and try to sell you stuff you don't need. 
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #41 on: 25 November 2022, 09:36 »
My Clubby had it's first oil service yesterday (17 months old and 17,000 miles).  I have a c.£400 plan to cover the first two services.   I pointed out to the dealer that the oil service was due at 16,800 miles and the "inspection" was scheduled as due 80 days later.   The service manager said the inspection was just a matter of checking a few extra items so he'd do that at the same time to save booking in again.  It was all be treated as being within the first oil service, so he didn't charge anything for it.

Interestingly, when I booked my service the dealership sent me a pre-booking form (!) showing a charge to me of £230 (despite me telling them I had a service plan) but after the service they gave me the job sheet showing that they only charged £130 to VW.   The inspection just seems like an opportunity for them to look at your car and try to sell you stuff you don't need.

It always used to be a requirement of VW’s service plans that the car was on VW’s fixed / time and distance service regime. Under fixed / time and distance, the first (oil change) service would be at the sooner of 12 months / 9,300 miles and the second (oil change and inspection) service at the sooner of 24 months / 18,600 miles.

I wonder if that’s changed now?
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #42 on: 25 November 2022, 11:20 »
I thought all performance petrol cars were put on fixed time/distance servicing in the UK at the PDI?

I certainly confirmed mine was, also I had the same with dealer not knowing I had a SP in place and presented me with a itemised bill.  That's how I found out what had been done and the type of oil used. The next time I just got a page of paper swing 'service carried out as per recommend schedule', they weren't keen on breaking it down to keep in my records.
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #43 on: 25 November 2022, 11:22 »
I don't know if it's changed, but as it worked in my favour, I didn't want to ask.   

I'm hoping that they haven't changed my car to a fixed service schedule now - is there a way to check in the settings?

Car is in great condition apart from stupid software, front pads are only 30% worn and original front Bridgestone S005's will be OK until the summer, with rears OK for maybe another year.
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #44 on: 25 November 2022, 17:23 »
I'm hoping that they haven't changed my car to a fixed service schedule now - is there a way to check in the settings?

Look at the next service info in the vehicle menu.... if its 12 months after your service then yes its been changed.

Mine is on variable too btw. Suits me fine tbh as while my mileage is waaay lower than pre-covid, its still not a garage queen!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #45 on: 26 November 2022, 09:18 »
Next oil service is showing as due in 364 days/9,400 miles.

As the variable service is determined by use of the car (length of journeys/idling time/acceleration/braking etc) I suppose it might start at 365/10,000 and then stretch out or decrease depending on how it's driven after the service.

I'll keep an eye on it for the next few months and see if it changes.

Pure White Mk8 Clubsport

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #46 on: 26 November 2022, 22:12 »
Got to say that looks like your now on a time/distance schedule, pretty sure on my previous TDi which was on a variable I never saw the 'days to service' go up, only down.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #47 on: 26 November 2022, 22:23 »
Got to say that looks like your now on a time/distance schedule, pretty sure on my previous TDi which was on a variable I never saw the 'days to service' go up, only down.

Agreed. Mine started at 2 years & 18k then decreased depending on amount of usage of the car.
7.5 GTD

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #48 on: 26 November 2022, 23:22 »
In that case it's probably worth me speaking to to my dealer and checking whether they have changed it from variable to fixed.   Will let you know what they say.
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport