Author Topic: Still got no idea which tyres?!?  (Read 11408 times)

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
Re: Still got no idea which tyres?!?
« Reply #50 on: 16 November 2017, 17:51 »

Terrible decision, they are crap tyres.   :laugh:

Agree especially at this time of year.....Alpin 5's much better...  :tongue:
[/quote]

But it's 25c and sunny every day down here :wink:
[/quote]

haha.....

I come from London.....& lived at the bottom of a hill...one winter the snow was so bad even with chains (one summers/normal tyres) we couldn't get out....

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #51 on: 16 November 2017, 18:05 »
It's flat round my way and in over 30 years of driving I have never got stuck due to snow or ice. Have thought about winter tyres but doubt I'd ever get my money's worth.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #52 on: 16 November 2017, 18:06 »

[/quote]

haha.....

I come from London.....& lived at the bottom of a hill...one winter the snow was so bad even with chains (one summers/normal tyres) we couldn't get out....
[/quote]

Not being able to get out of your road when it snows is God's way of telling you that the afternoon is meant to be spent by the fire with a good whiskey:grin:
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #53 on: 16 November 2017, 18:10 »

haha.....

[/quote]

Not being able to get out of your road when it snows is God's way of telling you that the afternoon is meant to be spent by the fire with a good whiskey:grin:
[/quote]

Bugger, hadn't thought of that. I'm moving to the bottom of a hill....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #54 on: 16 November 2017, 18:18 »

when I lived in London at the bottom of a hill I had no fire & didn't drink whiskey...

Now I live in Scotland, on the flat, with a wood burning stove & drink whiskey...& have winters on the car....

I think I buggered up somewhere..... :undecided:

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #55 on: 27 November 2017, 17:00 »
Had my PS4S a week now and I'm impressed. They grip much better than the old Pirellis, even when they were nearly new. I've not had any wheelspin or tramping neither has the traction control light come on and it has been wet and cold. I'd have had all 3 regularly ibefore changing :rolleyes:

Only annoyance is some marks where the wheels were clamped for tyre removal/refitting. Checked with the garage, and they are very good been going there for years, and they said they were as careful as they could be, no marks on the faces, but couldn't entirely avoid some marking as the machine had to be able to grip. Anyone else noticed this? It is right at the rear of the barrels so very difficult to see so I'm not too annoyed but certainly disappointed after all the efforts I have put in to keep them tidy. :sad:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #56 on: 27 November 2017, 17:36 »
Had my PS4S a week now and I'm impressed. They grip much better than the old Pirellis, even when they were nearly new. I've not had any wheelspin or tramping neither has the traction control light come on and it has been wet and cold. I'd have had all 3 regularly ibefore changing :rolleyes:

Only annoyance is some marks where the wheels were clamped for tyre removal/refitting. Checked with the garage, and they are very good been going there for years, and they said they were as careful as they could be, no marks on the faces, but couldn't entirely avoid some marking as the machine had to be able to grip. Anyone else noticed this? It is right at the rear of the barrels so very difficult to see so I'm not too annoyed but certainly disappointed after all the efforts I have put in to keep them tidy. :sad:

I've experienced those sort of marks Watts, as you say I think they are unavoidable as the machine has to clamp the wheel

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #57 on: 27 November 2017, 17:45 »

I've experienced those sort of marks Watts, as you say I think they are unavoidable as the machine has to clamp the wheel

Thanks. Having googled, it shouldn't happen if the right kit is used. They have been really careful but as they aren't specifically a tyrefitters I don't think they are so experienced to be able to avoid the problem. Next time I'll choose my fitters more carefully and in the meantime I'll have to get some touch up paint.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #58 on: 27 November 2017, 19:05 »

If they do it the easy way then use they will mark the wheel but if the use it the harder way then there should be no marking. The machine should have two ways to grip the wheel, one where it holds the inside rim edge which will leave no marks that can be seen without taking the wheel off and looking at where the tyre and rim meet and even then should be very hard to notice.

The other way is where the jaws of the machine hold the wheel from the inside of the barrel and that will leave 4 marks with each one having 3 or 4 lines. That's what the dealer done to two of my new wheels wheels so I rejected them.

Today was the first time I've driven the car with the PS4's and the difference was quite startling. I have done a few brake tests before I had the PS4's fitted but still need to do it with the Michelin's but waiting until the temperature is the same.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #59 on: 27 November 2017, 19:35 »

If they do it the easy way then use they will mark the wheel but if the use it the harder way then there should be no marking. The machine should have two ways to grip the wheel, one where it holds the inside rim edge which will leave no marks that can be seen without taking the wheel off and looking at where the tyre and rim meet and even then should be very hard to notice.

The other way is where the jaws of the machine hold the wheel from the inside of the barrel and that will leave 4 marks with each one having 3 or 4 lines. That's what the dealer done to two of my new wheels wheels so I rejected them.

Today was the first time I've driven the car with the PS4's and the difference was quite startling. I have done a few brake tests before I had the PS4's fitted but still need to do it with the Michelin's but waiting until the temperature is the same.

I am a bit fed up over it but I'll get over it, not like they're mint anyway, just a bit less mint and no-one else will ever notice.

Not sure the Michelins are much if at all quieter but superior in all other departments. I'm impressed with your scientific integrity :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.