Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785020 times)

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #13190 on: 11 November 2023, 23:07 »
Many thanks for your reply.

From what you say Mk7 owners are safe to assume that these vents are an essential component in the Golf design and as such all Golf models should be fitted with something similar.
If that is correct perhaps then all Golf owners should consider those vents on their vehicles a potential or present water ingress problem?
Windows misting inside or droplets on inside glass if left in full sun anyone??

The wax between the panels could only have been inserted with VWs full knowledge and agreement. An action, that can only have been designed to delay water ingress between the welded seams of the steel body panels. This is a subject I will follow up directly with VW HQ.
My dealership I have lost faith in.
VW as a brand is on a cliff edge as far as I am concerned,

Thank you once again.

Offline EB2019

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13191 on: 12 November 2023, 05:38 »
From what you say Mk7 owners are safe to assume that these vents are an essential component in the Golf design and as such all Golf models should be fitted with something similar.
If that is correct perhaps then all Golf owners should consider those vents on their vehicles a potential or present water ingress problem?

VW as a brand is on a cliff edge as far as I am concerned

These vents are on all cars behind the bumpers, its a very common way to expel air in the said situations. Google 'A class water in boot', or 'Ford Focus water in boot'.  You will see many owners having issues and solving them by either buying new vents with a new seal as they aren't often available separately or tiger seal-ing them into position.  Most common reason is the foam seal on the edge of the vent either deteriorates over time, or a VW worker 5 years ago on a production line creased the seal a small amount when fitting. Otherwise they would all likely fail at the same time in millions of Golfs, Fords, Vauxhalls, Mercs, BMW etc, which they haven't, at least in the case of the VW and Golf model.

The other potential reason could be a small but significant crash that results in the repair panel and vent not fitting perfectly, possibly due to an aftermarket panel, but you have had your car from new so I assume that's unlikely.

Either way if this repair was carried out by a main dealer at your request then that is a reason for concern, but I wouldn't be too worried about VW as a brand, everyone is cutting corners these days, just look at the Mk8 threads!  I can't think of a car I have own in the last 10 years that hasn't had cost cutting issues, actually I think Toyota seem pretty good but most of the German brands are average at best.

hope you get it sorted with VW. :wink:
« Last Edit: 12 November 2023, 05:46 by EB2019 »

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #13192 on: 12 November 2023, 06:16 »

VW as a brand is on a cliff edge as far as I am concerned

These vents are on all cars behind the bumpers, its a very common way to expel air in the said situations. Google 'A class water in boot', or 'Ford Focus water in boot'.  You will see many owners having issues and solving them by either buying new vents with a new seal as they aren't often available separately or tiger seal-ing them into position.  Most common reason is the foam seal on the edge of the vent either deteriorates over time, or a VW worker 5 years ago on a production line creased the seal a small amount when fitting. Otherwise they would all likely fail at the same time in millions of Golfs, Fords, Vauxhalls, Mercs, BMW etc, which they haven't, at least in the case of the VW and Golf model.

The other potential reason could be a small but significant crash that results in the repair panel and vent not fitting perfectly, possibly due to an aftermarket panel, but you have had your car from new so I assume that's unlikely.

Either way if this repair was carried out by a main dealer at your request then that is a reason for concern, but I wouldn't be too worried about VW as a brand, everyone is cutting corners these days, just look at the Mk8 threads!  I can't think of a car I have own in the last 10 years that hasn't had cost cutting issues, actually I think Toyota seem pretty good but most of the German brands are average at best.

hope you get it sorted with VW. :wink:

@EB2019 - agree regarding cost cutting over the years by the majority of car manufacturer, and yes, those vents are widely used throughout the motor manufacturing industry.

@Mike J; check out the YouTube video at the link below of a young guy who had the same water ingress problem with his mk7 Golf as you, and how he went about re-sealing the vents. Whether the vents are re-sealed or replaced, it’s a bumper-off job. His issue was bad enough for significant mould growth on the rear seat and mushrooms growing in the spare wheel well of his car! :shocked: The video also covers other potential water ingress sources at the rear of the mk7 Golf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R22acNVuCm4

Also check out my post (reply #16 on page 2) in the discussion thread at the link below, which lists other potential water ingress sources that I’ve read of on other mk7 / mk7.5 Golf forums over the years;

https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=286818.msg2638980#msg2638980
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #13193 on: 12 November 2023, 21:37 »
Today I discovered why my spare wheel was swimming in 30mm of water!

If anyone can explain why I should not permanently seal these vents would they please reply.

Thank you all.

As others have said its the rear vents...

However VW made newer versions with a rubber seal, instead of a foam seal (which degrades with age & lets water in)....You could buy the newer revised vents & it is possible to install from the inside without having to remove the outer bumper skin....

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #13194 on: 13 November 2023, 16:39 »
Full Service today and MoT.
Pass with advisory for drivers side upper drop link bush having slight play (£208 for VW to replace!)

Also had the slight occassional hissing from the aircon through the vents which they said was low coolant, so Aircon service was also done, ouch (£138) We shall see if that fixes it.
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #13195 on: 18 November 2023, 23:48 »
Well I've finally gone and done it.

After recommendations on here, this morning I went to my dealers and ordered the rear TCR lip spoiler - £367 with a 5-6 day delivery from VW Germany.

At the same time I bit the bullet and ordered a wheel set of the 18" Pretoria's in matte dark graphite (5G00731282ZT) which come with tyres (not sure what type yet) - the accessory catalogue it seems was old even though they are shown for both Mk 7 and 8 so the price was more than shown - now £477 each - these are on back order from VW Germany so I've been told delivery could be several months.

Paid for the lot using their Bumper offer which means I can pay the total in instalments at 0%.

I thought if I don't do it now I'm never going to do it - my MK alloys are still ok (only one small knick).

When they do come I'll protect them with some Gtechniq C5.

Might needs some tips on placement/fixing of the spoiler as this is the first time I've done anything like this.

Parts department were really helpful although I got the feeling they don't get many customers coming in asking for the sort of items I did.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline gfmr89

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13196 on: 19 November 2023, 10:38 »
I ordered a set of 18” Prets from my VW dealer (I’ve been meaning to post a photo of them on the car) and was told they were on back order and could take a while to arrive. They arrived in about 4-5 weeks I think.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #13197 on: 19 November 2023, 10:51 »
Fitting the spoiler is very easy, polish the area first and wipe it down with alcohol wipe (like what you'll use for prior to the Gtech C5), then use masking tape to line it all up.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #13198 on: 19 November 2023, 15:21 »
I was driving up the coast on Monday for work, with there being a storm the waves were crashing over the top of the car.

So I finally decided to get the salt off the car and sprayed Bilt Hamber Atom-mac underneath the car to hopefully eat any remaining salt from underneath.

« Last Edit: 19 November 2023, 15:24 by willni »
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline jharar

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13199 on: 19 November 2023, 20:33 »
Decided to give her proper wash, First wash since I bought her.
Weather been typical, as it was bit sunny today so gave her proper wash..