Author Topic: Timing marks. abf  (Read 13085 times)

Offline sleeper16

• Not said much yet
Re: Timing marks. abf
« Reply #10 on: 29 April 2009, 17:40 »
ahh i see.

well it still wouldn't start at just a fraction out.

so i decided to check if the flywheel marks are right and the flywheel tdc mark isn't tdc at all.

I used a bit of rod down the spark plug hole of number one put a little mark on the rod n held a ruler next to it n found the highest point and put the belt on at that and the belt fitted perfectly ....but still wont start it sounds like its almost starting and at some points does but doesn't last long enough to turn the ignition off cranking

EDIT should really say how far out the crank is...

from the TDC diamond if you turn the crank clockwise  from the pulley the there is a second mark on the flywheel about 10-15  then about another 10-15 is a flywheelbolt this seems to mark tdc
« Last Edit: 29 April 2009, 17:48 by sleeper16 »

Offline sleeper16

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 29 April 2009, 17:43 »
i am right in saying spark should occur at very tdc of the stroke arnt i?

all im thinking is maybe the cam mark is out slightly i might set the crank to tdc using the rod down the hole method and like the cam pulley up so the rotor arm is cock on instead of off the pulley mark...

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #12 on: 29 April 2009, 18:01 »
sounds like the crank is wrong, the diamond isnt tdc, its 6 degrees for the ignition timing

you see the mark to the right, thats tdc. line that up, then line the top pulley up with the cam cover mark, and make sure the dizzy is pointing to top left. that should be timed up right!

Offline sleeper16

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 29 April 2009, 18:55 »
hmm that could be the issue  :grin: i will give it a go and inform how it goes

Offline sleeper16

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 29 April 2009, 19:30 »
yeah that isnt the issue it still wont start  :undecided: i have spark n i have fuel the timing is lined up small notch with the tdc on cam pulley and cover  rotor arm with notch in dizzy for no1.

yet when turning over it just wont quite fire...

maybe ill take all the spark plugs out and check all of them are sparking and check fuel in all pots.... i think my exhaust mani fold might have two loose bolts but surely it would still start wouldnt it? n just blow maybe miss fire. they are like to tight to move by fingers

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #15 on: 29 April 2009, 19:58 »
the ignition timing might be off? what job were you doing on the car?

Offline sleeper16

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 29 April 2009, 20:14 »
i was doing the head gasket. but then thought i should do the cam belt as its the only thing short of its full service and  the cam belt age was unknown so the head has been off cams were left in  head wasn't skimmed as it wasn't warped. manifold was cracked so brazed that up, did a bit of match porting inlet manifolds  nothing to the head though. and a little bit on the throttle body but not alot.

engine was running fine before head removed(other than a missfire at 2.5-3k)
started first time every time
« Last Edit: 29 April 2009, 20:33 by sleeper16 »

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 30 April 2009, 01:02 »
are you running df3 or a k jet conversion ?
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline sleeper16

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 30 April 2009, 16:34 »
digi. mk2 gti box acd code

Offline sleeper16

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 30 April 2009, 18:32 »
right checked my spark again and its a bit intermittent. all earths are good coils getting a good voltage. timings good fuel pump primes isv buzzes away and the tensioner is set by rotating the tensioner center ANTI-clockwise? not clock wise as it says in the book?