Author Topic: First OBD11 Scan Results  (Read 5230 times)

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
Re: First OBD11 Scan Results
« Reply #20 on: 18 January 2024, 13:35 »
Yep VAQ is effectively half a Haldex system and works in the same way - had mine done at year three service for around £120 at my dealer.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline gixerste

• Not said much yet
« Reply #21 on: 18 January 2024, 17:50 »
Hi, I wasnt aware that the GTI had the Haldex system, I thought this was only for the 4wd system.

I had an S3 previously which had the Haldex oil changed regularly.

I have a 2018 7.5 PP, so assume by the above messages that this will need doing too, looking at the history of the car, it doesnt look like it has ever been done and its on approx 36k now.
[/quote

It certainly does, some ppl here call it the VAQ/e-diff etc. If it was my car id do it myself or at a good indy to make sure the filter housing/gauze was properly cleaned.

The Gti PP doesn't have the Haldex system fitted, that is the four wheel drive system fitted to Quattro driven cars i.e. R's S3's and S4's etc. It does have a LSD system fitted that requires oil services at specified mileage intervals.
they have a haldex pump and clutch pack. It has Haldex so you are incorrect
Hmm, every days a school day then, when I've been talking to my local VW dealer and local independents to get a price to change the oil, none of them called it a Haldex system just a LSD  :smiley:
Indium grey D.S.G. Mk7.5GTI pp

Offline watchdog

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 18 January 2024, 18:09 »
My car was serviced at Lookers VW in Blackburn at 3 years (17961 Miles)
The invoice and service certificate says LSD Oil and Filter Change

Offline jh_97

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 18 January 2024, 20:29 »
Cleared the codes last night, will try and scan regularly to monitor it, and see if the way I drive has any impact

Driven my 40 mile round commute today and scanned again when I got home. Low key battery fault has gone, but the diff fault has returned
2018 GTI PP DSG, Pure White, graphite Sevilles, Art Velours

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 18 January 2024, 21:41 »
Re the Haldex/VAQ/LSD & the GTI-PP:-

Borg Warner who are the manufacturers of the unit, call it “Front Cross Differential Technology”, or “FXD”.

ERWIN, which is the official VAG workshop manuals, call it a “Front Differential Lock”, & in the “Self-study guides” they also refer to it as an “Electrohydraulic Front Differential Lock”.

Volkswagen Audi Group HQ in Germany, call it “Vorderachsquersperre” (VAQ), which translated from German to English means “Transversal Front Axle Locking”, or “Front Differential Lock” depending on the translation website used.

VW marketing who are not engineers & don’t talk to the engineering/mechanical depts. refer to it in the sales brochures as a “mechanical limited slip differential”.

Unfortunately, it is NOT a “mechanical limited slip differential”, & this has been the sole cause of huge amounts of misinformation & misunderstanding, all because they decided to “simplify & up-sell” the unit, thank you VW’s marketing dept.!

The VAQ unit is a highly modified Haldex unit which is fitted outside of the gearbox case & sits between the gearbox case & the driveshaft on the UK drivers side. It is an electro-hydraulic activated multi-plate clutch pack which locks up the existing "open" (basic) type differential in the gearbox case. It relies heavily on the data from the existing ABS/ASR/ESC sensors.

It can never be an "L.S.D.", as a Limited Slip Differential sits inside the gearbox case in place of your existing open/basic type differential. The term LSD has been around for decades since LSD's were invented.

Since 2013, in both the VW self-study guides & official workshop repair manuals, it has clearly stated that:- “The oil should be changed every 3 years regardless of the mileage”. The total quantity of oil in the FDL unit is 570ml +/– 30ml, the “change” quantity is approximately 0.4lt.

The electric pump which pumps the oil has had numerous failures, across all VAG brands & both applications, (FDL & AWD) as it’s the same pump part. This pump made for the Gen.V Borg Warner units might have just had a bad manufacturing batch, or a more serious design issue. It appears to be costing about £350 to fix if out of warranty

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #25 on: 19 January 2024, 08:08 »
Re the Haldex/VAQ/LSD & the GTI-PP:-

Borg Warner who are the manufacturers of the unit, call it “Front Cross Differential Technology”, or “FXD”.

ERWIN, which is the official VAG workshop manuals, call it a “Front Differential Lock”, & in the “Self-study guides” they also refer to it as an “Electrohydraulic Front Differential Lock”.

Volkswagen Audi Group HQ in Germany, call it “Vorderachsquersperre” (VAQ), which translated from German to English means “Transversal Front Axle Locking”, or “Front Differential Lock” depending on the translation website used.

VW marketing who are not engineers & don’t talk to the engineering/mechanical depts. refer to it in the sales brochures as a “mechanical limited slip differential”.

Unfortunately, it is NOT a “mechanical limited slip differential”, & this has been the sole cause of huge amounts of misinformation & misunderstanding, all because they decided to “simplify & up-sell” the unit, thank you VW’s marketing dept.!

The VAQ unit is a highly modified Haldex unit which is fitted outside of the gearbox case & sits between the gearbox case & the driveshaft on the UK drivers side. It is an electro-hydraulic activated multi-plate clutch pack which locks up the existing "open" (basic) type differential in the gearbox case. It relies heavily on the data from the existing ABS/ASR/ESC sensors.

It can never be an "L.S.D.", as a Limited Slip Differential sits inside the gearbox case in place of your existing open/basic type differential. The term LSD has been around for decades since LSD's were invented.

Since 2013, in both the VW self-study guides & official workshop repair manuals, it has clearly stated that:- “The oil should be changed every 3 years regardless of the mileage”. The total quantity of oil in the FDL unit is 570ml +/– 30ml, the “change” quantity is approximately 0.4lt.

The electric pump which pumps the oil has had numerous failures, across all VAG brands & both applications, (FDL & AWD) as it’s the same pump part. This pump made for the Gen.V Borg Warner units might have just had a bad manufacturing batch, or a more serious design issue. It appears to be costing about £350 to fix if out of warranty

This man speaks the truth. It can never be a LSD.  :laugh:
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 19 January 2024, 10:15 »
That’s an interesting and informative post, @golfdave.

I can understand the reasoning for some people suggesting it is “ sealed for life “

Doesn’t really make sense to spend around £100 every 3 years to service a part that costs £350 to fix - and your post suggests that failures may have been down to a faulty batch rather than poor maintenance.

I can understand the logic of regular engine oil changes- all that metal on metal movement, the oil going through heat/cold cycles and to protect the most expensive part of the car- the engine.

Washing salt off the bodywork during winter- there’s another massively important part of vehicle maintenance.

The rest, you can pretty much adopt an “ if it ain’t broke “ type approach - in my humble opinion.

2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 19 January 2024, 10:56 »
My servicing dealer steadfastly maintains that servicing and oils change for this component does not appear on any VW U.K. servicing job list.
I have to confess, the way I drive nowadays it’s less frequently  that the feature will kick in and if that is the case maybe my oil and filter will be relatively “clean” anyway even after 5 years??
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #28 on: 19 January 2024, 14:39 »
My servicing dealer steadfastly maintains that servicing and oils change for this component does not appear on any VW U.K. servicing job list.
I have to confess, the way I drive nowadays it’s less frequently  that the feature will kick in and if that is the case maybe my oil and filter will be relatively “clean” anyway even after 5 years??

Find a different servicing dealer, as its well known by now where in the VW service logs/tables the schedule is "hidden"...

Screengrab from the ERWIN service books....

« Last Edit: 19 January 2024, 14:41 by golfdave »

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #29 on: 31 January 2024, 17:10 »
Thanks for that Golfdave.
Last year I asked my dealer about changing front diff oil and they insisted it was sealed for life. And a request about this seemed utterly novel to them.
Last week, armed with your evidence I spoke to them again about my forthcoming service.
They have come back to say that after referring to their senior tech who has done some investigation, they agree the oil should be changed and are going to do this. Should be done every 3 years!
The cost of £127 is not part of the “All In” deal though.
It’s all very strange.
I will just be glad to get it done.
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)