Author Topic: Headlight Washers stopped working  (Read 22882 times)

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
Re: Headlight Washers stopped working
« Reply #10 on: 09 January 2009, 12:24 »
Not running xenons :(

I have the winter pack which adds the washers. Good idea with regards to looking at VAGCOM.

Offline synnea

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 09 January 2009, 12:37 »
OK then you in the clear legally then. I have just ordered a VAGCOM kit but with me in N Ireland I wont be much use to you.

I would hope if you spoke to your dealer nicely they would do it for free. Or else if you know anyone else with VagCom. The other annoying thing about those washers is they completly drain the washer fluid. I seem never done filling it up!
R32 : DBP : Lux Pack : Winter Pack : Cruise : Leather : Parking Sensors : Rear Tints : Armrest : RNS 510 : Ipod MediaIn : FreeView Tuner : VagCom

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #12 on: 09 January 2009, 12:39 »
Normally I'm OK. What I do is for the first wash I tap it so that none comes out and that tricks that car into thinking that its don the washer, then when I press it again it doesn't do the lights and just the windscreen. Sometime I forget and ruin my bonnet :(

Offline synnea

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 09 January 2009, 12:43 »
ohh, ok nice one ill try that then. Nice trick that!
R32 : DBP : Lux Pack : Winter Pack : Cruise : Leather : Parking Sensors : Rear Tints : Armrest : RNS 510 : Ipod MediaIn : FreeView Tuner : VagCom

Offline Kermit

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 09 January 2009, 17:39 »
use the correct vw screenwash and look at the dilution rate on the side of the bottle.

Hi,
Washers are still not working and it's no longer freezing....ie it's bust. What do I need to look at? Do the headlight washers have their own fuse etc.

Ta.

Same happened to me just before Christmas - in the end found out the fuse had gone - no idea why (manual doesn't help) but on this forum (somewhere) is relay/fuses layout - headlight washer is fuse 36 in the fusebox on the drivers side in the dash - 3rd row up from bottom, 5th one in (from the right) - should be a yellow 20amp - hopefully broken  :wink:
« Last Edit: 09 January 2009, 17:45 by Kermit »
2007 GTI, Steel Grey, DSG with Paddle, Leather, 18" Monza, Xenons, Lux and Winter Pack, iPod, Tints

Offline Merlin

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 10 January 2009, 14:35 »
use the correct vw screenwash and look at the dilution rate on the side of the bottle.

Hi,
Washers are still not working and it's no longer freezing....ie it's bust. What do I need to look at? Do the headlight washers have their own fuse etc.

Ta.

Same happened to me just before Christmas - in the end found out the fuse had gone - no idea why (manual doesn't help) but on this forum (somewhere) is relay/fuses layout - headlight washer is fuse 36 in the fusebox on the drivers side in the dash - 3rd row up from bottom, 5th one in (from the right) - should be a yellow 20amp - hopefully broken  :wink:

Cheers Kermit,

I'll have a look later.
Reflex: DSG: (GIAC'ed)

Offline Merlin

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 11 January 2009, 10:52 »
Fixed - Thanks Kermit.

Fuse 35 drivers side fuse compartment- 20A. As you say it's not in the manual!

Thanks for your help.

Merlin.
Reflex: DSG: (GIAC'ed)

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #17 on: 11 January 2009, 10:53 »
Might just go a and pull this fuse out :D

Offline Kermit

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 11 January 2009, 12:44 »
Fixed - Thanks Kermit.

Fuse 35 drivers side fuse compartment- 20A. As you say it's not in the manual!

Thanks for your help.

Merlin.

Cool - no probs.  strange about fuse 35, pretty certain mine was 36 (not that it matters as yours is working now).  In case you are interested this is the VagCom code that came up - initally thought the relay needed replacing:

00924 - Relay for Headlamp Cleaning System (J39)

What annoyed me most is the mileage on VagCom for when the fault happened was the same as what is in my service book - so it happened when my car was getting serviced by VW somehow - grrrrrr

Anyway - this is the info I was referring to - really useful (thanks go to Teutonic).
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=54324.0
2007 GTI, Steel Grey, DSG with Paddle, Leather, 18" Monza, Xenons, Lux and Winter Pack, iPod, Tints

Offline Golfgirl

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 17 January 2009, 17:33 »
My headlight washers stopped working too.  When I washed the screen you could hear the pump activating behind the washers but they weren't popping up.  I changed fuse no. 35 today and hey presto, they work again (thanks to this thread, no thanks to the manual :angry:).  I think it must have been when we had the really cold snap last week and the washers were frozen (I drove 95 miles without being able to clean my screen until I was 4 miles from home :rolleyes:)...probably blew the fuse then.