Author Topic: External temperature gauge - where's the probe  (Read 1416 times)

Offline Bullfinch

• Not said much yet
External temperature gauge - where's the probe
« on: 29 July 2020, 15:21 »
On my 18 month old Mk7.5 GTi PP the external temperature always now shows at 14.5C.  It's not that cold in this UK summer.  So my question is where is the probe located (in the engine bay?) and would such an issue be covered under VAG warranty?
Daily: Mk7.5 GTi PP DSG, Weekend: 911 997 Gen 2 Carrera 4S

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: External temperature gauge - where's the probe
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2020, 15:43 »
Certainly doesn't sound right! 95% sure you'll see the sensor if you look through the front grill just below the bottom right of the numberplate. I think the sensor should be quite cheap but getting to it might be fiddly so if it's under warranty I'd be having a word with your dealer. This might be useful - https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?12542-WARNING-about-G17-Ambient-Temperature-Sensor-VW-Golf-MK7
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Bullfinch

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2020, 18:24 »
Fortunately seems to have fixed itself as just gone out at 6pm and now showing 23C.  I think what happened is I took the car to be cleaned today and their use of power hoses must have soaked the sensor such that it took along time to dry off.  Still I will keep an eye on it and will definitely be in touch with the dealer if the issue re-appears during normal use.
Daily: Mk7.5 GTi PP DSG, Weekend: 911 997 Gen 2 Carrera 4S

Offline DanDuda48

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 29 July 2020, 22:59 »
Glad to hear that it seems to be sorted...
2018 Golf GTI PP White Silver; DCC, Discover Pro; Lane Assist & DLA; Parking pack; Climate windscreen; rear tints.
2016 Golf GTD Oryx white; DCC; Tech pack [=Discover Pro + Dynaudio]; Sport & Sound; Lane Assist & DLA; Parking pack; Climate windscreen; rear tints

Offline skippy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 29 July 2020, 23:10 »
That sounds quite feasible with the power hoses/jet washers. I remember some years ago, my Scirocco went in for service, and upon collection the air temperature gauge seemed to be a long way out. It was only after driving some distance (30 mins or so), that it started to settle and give a normal reading again.
MK7.5 2020, Isaac Blue, standard spec

Gone but certainly not forgotten Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TSI

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 30 July 2020, 08:27 »
On my 18 month old Mk7.5 GTi PP the external temperature always now shows at 14.5C.  It's not that cold in this UK summer.  So my question is where is the probe located (in the engine bay?) and would such an issue be covered under VAG warranty?

Glad you got it sorted but 14.5 degrees C feels to have been about the right temperature up here in Manchester on some days recently☹️
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 30 July 2020, 09:18 »
For reference it is behind the bumper in front of the radiators. It may have had some much on it that was wet and causing wind chill to make the temperature seem lower.

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 01 August 2020, 19:38 »
Certainly doesn't sound right! 95% sure you'll see the sensor if you look through the front grill just below the bottom right of the numberplate. I think the sensor should be quite cheap but getting to it might be fiddly so if it's under warranty I'd be having a word with your dealer. This might be useful - https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?12542-WARNING-about-G17-Ambient-Temperature-Sensor-VW-Golf-MK7

Thanks for quoting my thread!

Its a bugger of a part as if it goes it really FUBARS the car!!

Basically replace ASAP if you suspect it is failing...it sits behind the lower grill to the right side as you look at it...easiest way to replace is to remove the upper grill (two torx screws) & reach down..it just push fits into a hole on the metal bracket...that & one electrical connector, make it an easy job!