Author Topic: Mk7.5 gti - how to make it quieter  (Read 18632 times)

Offline RichardP

• Not said much yet
Re: Mk7.5 gti - how to make it quieter
« Reply #20 on: 30 July 2020, 20:07 »
Fit the harmonic damper to the rear subframe....

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-retro-fit-the-rear-subframe-harmonic-damper-from-the-audi-a3-saloon-2013.369369/
Hi and a big thanks to golf Dave!
As detailed on another post I got a clubsport ED40 a couple of months ago.I didn't like the ride on 19s so changed to 18s and ended up putting Ohlins springs and dampers on as well.Brilliant changed the car massively.
After the change THAT noisy rear quieted down a lot......for all of 200 miles then back with a vengeance!
So at least in my case it was not the dampers.
Saw this thread and ordered the parts from my local Audi stealer.
Great result! Noise 75% gone.Still get the thump on bad roads of course but no secondary vibrations at all.Everything sounds tighter and quieter.
That rear noise was a big negative to me...just sounded wrong and really spoilt my enjoyment.
Thanks again golf Dave improved my car massively!

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #21 on: 31 July 2020, 17:04 »
My damper has just arrived :grin:
Will try to get it fitted over the weekend and let you know :drool:
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 31 July 2020, 17:29 »
Mine will arrive by Monday according to DPD
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 01 August 2020, 06:49 »
Mine will arrive by Monday according to DPD

Where is yours coming from Sooty?
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 01 August 2020, 07:20 »
E-Acca.com
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 01 August 2020, 07:23 »
Thanks 😬
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline RM

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 01 August 2020, 13:34 »
Are the dampers a simple DIY job, without needing to raise the car? Is there a specific torque requirement for the bolts?

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 01 August 2020, 13:56 »
Think you might need to raise it to gain access to the rear subframe (unless you are super slim - I’m not)

Pretty sure it’s between 18 &23 nm torque.

Offline RM

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 01 August 2020, 19:11 »
You lost me at ‘super slim’  :grin:

Thanks, though, appreciate it.

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #29 on: 01 August 2020, 19:34 »
Are the dampers a simple DIY job, without needing to raise the car? Is there a specific torque requirement for the bolts?

Quote from the How to Guide I wrote:-

""I do not know what Audi state for the specified torque settings, & VW state 20Nm (14.7lbft) plus 180deg turn when they use the same nut on the rear anti-roll bar drop link. The M8 screw studs are marked “8.8”, so M8 size, grade 8.8 steel on my torque tables state 18.2Nm (13.4lbft) for thorough lubrication, 23Nm (17lbft) for minimal lubrication, & 27Nm (20lbft) for no lubrication (dry). I decided to spray the threads thoroughly with WD-40 & torqued up to 18Nm (13.3lbft)""