Author Topic: How heavy is the rear Haldex unit in an R?  (Read 5687 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: How heavy is the rear Haldex unit in an R?
« Reply #10 on: 16 November 2017, 13:37 »
When and how often do you notice this lightness of the rear in your GTD? On the track? Round town?

Can't for a minute understand why putting a bag of sand in a car would be deemed as beneficial or necessary?

Surely VW's engineers set the spring/dampers for the weight of the car...  I am missing a point here?
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 16 November 2017, 13:58 »
What I was talking about is why is the R so much more planted over bumpy roads than a GTD/GTI.

If you have never been in one or driven one you might not understand what I mean, but its absolutely a different ride and its almost certainly not anything to do with 4 driving wheels and has to be the weight.

Its obvious a GTI/GTD is superlight at the rear - how do you get 55k+ out of a set of rear tyres if the back end isn't light as a feather.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 16 November 2017, 15:01 »
When and how often do you notice this lightness of the rear in your GTD? On the track? Round town?

Can't for a minute understand why putting a bag of sand in a car would be deemed as beneficial or necessary?

Surely VW's engineers set the spring/dampers for the weight of the car...  I am missing a point here?

I have the estate & notice the difference when given the same spec in the hatch as a courtesy car...

my estate is way better/planted...& I have a way lighter engine..

What you are forgetting is nothing to do with springs/dampers...but everything to do with weight balance/distribution...

GTD hatch heavy nose, feck all out back....

the best MK7 golf for weight balance is the "R" estate....I know a few years ago I did some calcs over on MK7 forums about this...

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #13 on: 16 November 2017, 16:02 »
What I was talking about is why is the R so much more planted over bumpy roads than a GTD/GTI.

If you have never been in one or driven one you might not understand what I mean, but its absolutely a different ride and its almost certainly not anything to do with 4 driving wheels and has to be the weight.

Its obvious a GTI/GTD is superlight at the rear - how do you get 55k+ out of a set of rear tyres if the back end isn't light as a feather.
Probably something to do with the Bridgestones :grin:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 16 November 2017, 16:03 »
Well, having tyres made from the same things they stick on the outside of the space shuttle probably is one factor yes :D
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #15 on: 16 November 2017, 16:26 »

You are missing the point for sure! How differently does the hatch handle when you have a couple of hefty chaps on the back seat? All about ground pressure and that will alter the handling for sure.

You used to see Mini Coopers being driven at speed on a winding road, lift the inside rear tire completely off the road surface..2x25kg bags of sand would stop that happening.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 16 November 2017, 16:38 »
Golf's used to cock a leg too... probably not any more, the ESP I suspect prevents it!

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 16 November 2017, 17:55 »
Heaps of footage on the tube showing comparisons...some pretty scary stuff involving Mk7s...hard cornering showing only the inside 5mm of the inside rear tire touching the road...one or two showing it cocked completely! Surely they can't perform properly on 3 wheels.

No doubt that ESP helps the situation, but does everyone have that option?
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 16 November 2017, 18:10 »
Heaps of footage on the tube showing comparisons...some pretty scary stuff involving Mk7s...hard cornering showing only the inside 5mm of the inside rear tire touching the road...one or two showing it cocked completely! Surely they can't perform properly on 3 wheels.

Look at any kind of hatch racing like the Clio cup and you will see them doing it all the time, if it made that much of a difference to the wheel doing feck all the cars wouldn't be set-up that way.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 16 November 2017, 18:52 »

Look at any kind of hatch racing like the Clio cup and you will see them doing it all the time, if it made that much of a difference to the wheel doing feck all the cars wouldn't be set-up that way.

I take it that you are happy to go around corners on 3 wheels in a car not prepared, or set up for scorching around a race track. May as well drive a Reliant if that's the case!