Author Topic: Wheel Bearing Noise but new bearing fitted :/  (Read 695 times)

Offline --jp

• Not said much yet
Wheel Bearing Noise but new bearing fitted :/
« on: 10 July 2012, 21:06 »
Evening Guys,

I got an advisory for a wheel bearing on my 2001 GTTDI PD115, so as the noise which had been getting worse, got too more for me to put up with i've changed out the bearing to a new genuine VW one, slapped it back on the car and took it for a spin....

Bloody noise is still there. I've stripped and inpsected and made sure everything is as it should be and fitted correctly with the right torques etc.

But I've just had another check over the wheels and 12-6ing  them there is no play in any of them and the noise goes when the right front wheel is loaded up, just like a wheel bearing.

I've come to check the drive shaft and the right hand (drivers and same side as bearing swapped and the side that needs to be loaded to stop noise) has movement of about 2-3 mm in and out from the gearbox, the passengers side has <1mm from what I can tell its moving in and out at the outer joint (by pushing my fingers on the rubber boot in the joint/drive shaft junction)

What do i need to check or change? the whole outer CV joint or what?

HELP.

Ta

Offline golfyste

• I live here
  • Project track car
Re: Wheel Bearing Noise but new bearing fitted :/
« Reply #1 on: 11 July 2012, 08:04 »
You sure you changed the right bearing? When does the noise occur? And how did you identify the first?

R-tech custom remap - k04-001- 250bhp/311ftlb  :grin:

"Project track car" has begun :grin:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=247202.0

Offline EsSeX dAn

• I live here
Re: Wheel Bearing Noise but new bearing fitted :/
« Reply #2 on: 11 July 2012, 08:59 »
are all the wheels straight? sounds strange but i had a car with a bent alloy once, chNged every rotating part do with the drivetrain and it didnt sort it. only when i changed the wheels it went! also some tyres can make a bearingy sound. usually budget tyres can di this
i think i love you.....

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.

MKIV Mod Squadâ„¢ a part of the headlight police.