Author Topic: Fuse box/ Relay info.  (Read 128456 times)

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
Re: Fuse box/ Relay info.
« Reply #20 on: 28 February 2020, 15:37 »
Hi

Can anyone point me in the direction of a diagram and description of the relays for my 2000 TDI?

Sadly, all the great photos which helpful people posted in the past, can't be viewed now.

I specifically need the location and number of the relay which deals with the turn signal function ( also known as indicators).

TIA
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Online jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 28 February 2020, 16:41 »
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #22 on: 28 February 2020, 19:16 »
Thanks, but of no use. I have tried to decipher the info on that thread many times today already. The fuse box list is straight forward and is listed clearly in my user handbook, but there is nothing in there which shows the relay bay.

The link which you kindly provided does provide a few blurred photos of the relays but these are impossible to interpret.

I have asked for this info on numerous fora and sites but the answers have been mind boggling...

...I think it might be relay number 13, but it could be numbers 8 or 11,

...I don't think there is a relay, but I could be wrong,

...my mate had this problem and he says it is relay number 3,

...why would anyone ever own a car THAT old?

Thanks again for your reply, I might just go out and buy one of those mechanical arms to hang off my door. :cry:

Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline Pete le Deet

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 29 February 2020, 10:04 »
Hello, bazz,

Did anyone say "I'm not exactly an expert, but.."?

Your difficulty with finding the indicator/turn signal timing relay tallies with my understanding that it's built into the hazard/emergency/4-way flasher switch. (Confirmed by examining one)
« Last Edit: 10 March 2020, 15:21 by Pete le Deet »

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 01 March 2020, 14:58 »
Hello Pete le Deet

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did cop a fair few answers which started with "I'm no expert, but....."  I had no real choice but to check and test what those people suggested, all to no avail.

Funnily enough, the rain stopped long enough today for me to have a play around under the dash and I reckon that you are spot on with your understanding of the situation. The clicking sound comes from that area and a light touch of my finger, when the clicking can be heard, reveals some activity under the switch...sounds and feels exactly the same, regardless of which function is selected.

I'll replace that switch unit and see what happens.

Thanks again...I'll let you know how I get on.

:smiley:

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #25 on: 06 March 2020, 21:15 »
Still messing around, trying to solve the problem...every thing works fine 9 out of 10 times and all of a sudden I have no indicators again. I've ordered a new switch unit, but it is still a few weeks away..in the meantime, I need to use the car and try every trick I know to get it working properly again.

As before, I'll let you know how I get on.

Offline Pete le Deet

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 07 March 2020, 10:05 »
I suppose it'd be possible to by-pass the hazard switch, and wire in an ordinary No.21 flasher relay. The three terminals for that are a power supply ('49'? - ignition On/'15' for normal, direct/'30' for hazard), feed to the indicator switch ('49a'?) and ground ('31'). In hazard mode, the Left and Right sides are connected together by the switch, and directly to 49a, bypassing the indicator switch.

Will it really take weeks to get another proper switch? I think I have a used one somewhere. I 'found' it while investigating how the '98 - '02 Golf cabriolet dash-mounted hazard switch was achieved.

Ps - see your pm.
« Last Edit: 07 March 2020, 14:25 by Pete le Deet »