Author Topic: OK, so went and looked at this today, what do you think?  (Read 4847 times)

Offline Lee_dub

• Here all the time
Re: OK, so went and looked at this today, what do you think?
« Reply #10 on: 25 November 2008, 18:30 »
Thanks for all your input! In the end I couldn't be bothered with it so ive upped my budget to 1500 quid and ive found two that I like the look of

1) first one is a white clipper cab 1.8 carb with a excellent hood, 6 months MOT, the tinyest bit of rust on the edge of the bonnet, 77,000 on the clock. No service history. Its a power hood but it doesnt work.  Checked all the usual places for rust and its all ok. this is up for 1500

2) this is a dark grey metalic one with a good power hood that works.  has 108,000 on the clock.  The bodywork is excellent being resprayed not long ago has loads of service history. this is a 1.8 GTI but needs new valve hydrolic lifters.  this is up for 1350.

What do guys think is the best? I have no idea how much the new lifters would be.  Is the injection engine better that the carb? Cheers for your help again
Black mk1 2.0 16V - woop

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #11 on: 26 November 2008, 08:23 »
Both sound quite good ,but I'd be suspicious of a 77k car without any service history to be honest. Also, the Clippers had loads of carb trouble with the old Pierburg and people put a Weber on them. Personally it would be a no brainer, I'd go for a GTI over a Clipper any day of the week (plus I don't really like white cabs), there's not that much performance difference though driving day to day but I think the clippers were 90bhp and the GTI should be about 112. 108k aint that bad, I sold my cab with 132k on it a couple of years ago. Don't know how much the lifters are though I'm afraid. Get a price for the lifters and see how negoatiable the 1350 is. I think there's still room to go down there, especially in the current economic climate and 1100 for their Christmas is better than nothing. :wink: Try your luck, the worst they can say is no.
......now officially dubless.

Offline Lee_dub

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 26 November 2008, 13:03 »
Cheers for all your help gibby, well another little update, ive seen a mars red tintop non sunroof model with a 2.0 KR in it, little bit of rust on the edges of the drivers door and wing and thats going for 550 so I may even go down that route....

anyways just poped down to the bank and drew some wonga out, wait and see if people get back to me
Black mk1 2.0 16V - woop

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #13 on: 26 November 2008, 15:28 »
No problem, you're welcome. Maybe it's because I had a cab for four years, but I'd have a tintop over a cab any day these days. :cool:
......now officially dubless.

Offline Lee_dub

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 26 November 2008, 17:34 »
a Cab would be nice for a bit of summer cruising if we ever get any....
Black mk1 2.0 16V - woop

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 26 November 2008, 21:42 »
Cheers for all your help gibby, well another little update, ive seen a mars red tintop non sunroof model with a 2.0 KR in it, little bit of rust on the edges of the drivers door and wing and thats going for 550 so I may even go down that route....

anyways just poped down to the bank and drew some wonga out, wait and see if people get back to me

Alright mate, take it you've left Oxford now then?

As for the hydraulic lifters, you're looking at 50-60 quid for the set from gsf and vwspares iirc. But, a 16v tintop for £550................... DO IT!

Dinky

« Reply #16 on: 26 November 2008, 23:14 »
Its in South Shields mate. Can you re attach the headlining or do you have to buy a new hood?
Aye...guess where I'm from..tbh if it is the one I have seen, it did actually look ok...
but good luck with your new search :smiley:

Dinx :kiss:

Offline Lee_dub

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 27 November 2008, 19:45 »
Alright mate, take it you've left Oxford now then?

As for the hydraulic lifters, you're looking at 50-60 quid for the set from gsf and vwspares iirc. But, a 16v tintop for £550................... DO IT!

Alright Ben! yea ive left oxford, I better change my profile.  I never thought about it but we should of gone for a beer before I left... ah well im posted to the north east now but ill probibly see you at one of the shows.

Aye...guess where I'm from..tbh if it is the one I have seen, it did actually look ok...
but good luck with your new search :smiley:

Dinx :kiss:

Yea it looked ok but it was getting dark when I seen it, anyways completely binned that idea off, going to look at this tin top on sat. we will see eh??

Oh by the way what does this iirc business mean?
Black mk1 2.0 16V - woop

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 27 November 2008, 19:54 »

Alright Ben! yea ive left oxford, I better change my profile.  I never thought about it but we should of gone for a beer before I left... ah well im posted to the north east now but ill probibly see you at one of the shows.

Hopefully gonna make it up to a couple of the more northern shows this coming year, try and combine them with seeing the family i'm thinking. Still gonna be a trek for you up there though i would of thought!

Iirc - if i remember correctly :smiley:

Offline Lee_dub

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 27 November 2008, 20:29 »
Ah cheers mate, kept an eye on your project, looked a bit of a mish doing the conversion.  Looks sweet tho.

Yea im looking forward to looking at this car on sat, might finnaly end up with a mk 1. 

Hey the scene up here is pretty good, just joined durham dubs, they are sponsored by a main dealer!
Black mk1 2.0 16V - woop