Author Topic: 2.0 16v ABF vs 2.0 9a with KR cams etc  (Read 31767 times)

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
Re: 2.0 16v ABF vs 2.0 9a with KR cams etc
« Reply #40 on: 04 December 2008, 01:04 »
do you want to stick with k jet or not is the real question

large port  ( 027 ) heads, 50mm manifold  with cams  will not like been driven gentely
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #41 on: 07 December 2008, 19:00 »
Hmmn, I'm not sure Kjet is obviously standard on the 1.8 kr, not sure as i'd like it to look as standard as possible. So starting to think ABF would bit out of place.

As I think i said car is straight with full service history, low mileage, oak green etc. Almost too nice to mod...I did say almost... but previous owner has started it so think I should do car justice.

What's the verdict on TSR Performance displacement increase? from 1.8 to 2.0? Boring out the block would obviously leave it looking standard on the outside

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #42 on: 08 December 2008, 10:05 »
Seems this option would be more "period sympathetic" Anyone got one on here? If so what like to drive?

Aiming for a practical daily that'll entertain when giving it a bit of stick every now and then. Don't really drive flat out everywhere these days since, the crash...

F*ck off with 'period sympathetic' then - 'period sympathetic' modded Golf2 16V is peaky as hell power delivery, with poor fuel economy and it'll be grumpy and limp on the daily grind.

Just drop the ABF out of your G3 in there on OEM management and be done with it.  It's even got the VW logo on the inlet manifold, so it looks like it should be there.

I've driven a 'short block' tuned 2.0 16V motor in a G1 shell, which was supposed to be 200bhp and it felt no more than a stock ABF.  The big win on the ABF on Digi/OEM management is that it's extremely torquey and driveable (and fuel efficient), yet turns into a raving lunatic when you hold the pedal down.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #43 on: 08 December 2008, 10:20 »
totally agree, if done right the ABF looks like it was fitted from the factory, if you have the chance to use the ABF managmnet you should fit it!  If you do still go k-jet I'll be interested in the ECU & loom :P

bit dirty but I guess it adds to the 'period sympatheticness'
« Last Edit: 08 December 2008, 10:21 by rubjonny »
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #44 on: 10 December 2008, 19:14 »
When I said period sympathetic I mean that it's a nice Oak green 16v with full service history and in a few years don't want to be lamenting the fact that I ripped out the original engine.

I reckon that a decent set of cams (pos ABF) and perhaps a rebore will be visually unchanged but obviously a bit more poke.

Unless someone can convince me otherwise that I wouldn't destroy the potential value of my car by doing the engine swap.

Think I'll keep the ABF/ECU and loom tucked up and stashed away for a rainy day.

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #45 on: 10 December 2008, 20:57 »
if your not going to use the abf ecu there is no point fitting the abf  may as well use a 9a or overhaull the KR  forom the sound of it concourse is what your after  so overhaull the KR

imo  an oak green 16v isn't THAT rare  and i can't see a better engine harming it's value i would pay more for a 16v with abf and efi.   if it was an edition 1 g60  or a rallye  there is something to be said for originality 
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #46 on: 10 December 2008, 23:28 »
It's either a mode of transport, or an investment.

If you're looking at some investment rather than transport then you want 'matching numbers' - it's gotta have the same VIN and engine numbers that it rolled out of the factory with.  If it hasn't then you want to be putting the in best you possibly can, while retaining the 'charm' of the original.  An ABF with proper electronic management puts the 16V characteristic on steroids, while protecting your wallet with better fuel consumption and more protection for the engine's internals.

It is the best solution if you're looking for an effective daily driver performance 16V motor.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #47 on: 13 December 2008, 13:48 »
All sage advice, I'm getting the car up on the ramps next week. Oak greens are def getting rarer, only one other one up my waym, not in the same league as G60 etc.
Never been one for concours, I appreciate it, but it's not really for me. Just want a tidy subtle motor, more sleeper than concours.
As suggested the ED1 G60 and rallye would obviously be worth more as matching numbers cars.
Where would I check to see if the engine numbers match the chassis as came out of volksburg?
There is a possibility that the car has had an engine at some point. I don't think it has but, would like to be sure before I go much further.

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #48 on: 13 December 2008, 15:15 »
you could use a 9a or 6a with kjet then it would be identical looks wise. noone would know until you put yer foot down

Offline ToddyGTi

• GTI forum regular
  • I Love GTi's
« Reply #49 on: 14 December 2008, 11:25 »
Oak greens are def getting rarer, only one other one up my way

Yeah, so are Tornado Red ones   :laugh:

Part of the Booty Club