Author Topic: 2.0 16v ABF vs 2.0 9a with KR cams etc  (Read 31763 times)

Offline Jimmy16v

• Not said much yet
Re: 2.0 16v ABF vs 2.0 9a with KR cams etc
« Reply #30 on: 05 November 2008, 11:04 »
Yeah my instincts are saying to just hold out for now!  I don't have loads of bits to trade in for an engine unfortunately!!!  :tongue:

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #31 on: 05 November 2008, 11:17 »
the 16vs are best between 80-120k imo, id hold out for one in this mileage range

Offline Jimmy16v

• Not said much yet
« Reply #32 on: 05 November 2008, 11:29 »
Cheers matey

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #33 on: 01 December 2008, 16:52 »
Having read previous post I have a teaser...
I'm in a similar situation, I have just bought a mk2 16v to replace my mk3 16v as failed MOT on rusty sills...
How 'involved' is swaping a mk2 to digi'?
Have both sitting outside my house and seems like the sensible thing to do would be swap the 1.8 KR for the 2.0 ABF. Have both complete cars with a non-immobilsed ecu, loom etc from mk3.

However, spoken to a guy regarding the swap and he reckons the 9a/kr head would be a better engine as he reckons it'd beat a ABF engined mk2 in the real world and that you need to do a bonnet mod to make the tall block fit. Is it that it's simpler to do the 9a swap over ABF and he wants less headaches?
I read that you can use 1.3 engine mounts to clear the bonnet, is this true?

I want the Mk2 16v as my daily driver and it's an Oak Green 3dr w/fsh so don't want too go mental, at least till funds allow fo TB's etc :grin:.

IMO i reckon digi management would be better as it's "chippable" and don't need to faff about setting idle etc. However this is from the point of view of someone who has never done either. Conversely would I be a maniac in trying and doing it myself as an enthusiastic amateur?
Looking for nice linear torque for "real world" driving not chasing pub racing bhp figures, and if it happens to rapid too, so much the better.

Any suggestions??
9a kr k-jet vs ABF digi?
Anyone?!?

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 01 December 2008, 17:06 »
ABF on digi is the better option.  even tho it will take a bit more effort to fit the electonics it's more than worth doing.   
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #35 on: 01 December 2008, 17:20 »
Sweet!, finally someone coming down on one side of the fence or the other! :laugh:
This means I can rebuild the ABF with new gaskets etc as it's got 148k on it. Had the mk3 a few years tho and still goes really well just while I've got it out might as well do it.

Is there any 'must do' mods recommended while I've got the ABF out?

Port the head would be up there but 700.00 quoted for port and polish seems wee bit out of my price range at the mo'.

Also would it be better keeping the original 1.8 gearbox or transfer the lot from the ABF?

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 01 December 2008, 17:41 »
Having read previous post I have a teaser...
I'm in a similar situation, I have just bought a mk2 16v to replace my mk3 16v as failed MOT on rusty sills...
How 'involved' is swaping a mk2 to digi'?
Have both sitting outside my house and seems like the sensible thing to do would be swap the 1.8 KR for the 2.0 ABF. Have both complete cars with a non-immobilsed ecu, loom etc from mk3.

However, spoken to a guy regarding the swap and he reckons the 9a/kr head would be a better engine as he reckons it'd beat a ABF engined mk2 in the real world and that you need to do a bonnet mod to make the tall block fit. Is it that it's simpler to do the 9a swap over ABF and he wants less headaches?
I read that you can use 1.3 engine mounts to clear the bonnet, is this true?

I want the Mk2 16v as my daily driver and it's an Oak Green 3dr w/fsh so don't want too go mental, at least till funds allow fo TB's etc :grin:.

IMO i reckon digi management would be better as it's "chippable" and don't need to faff about setting idle etc. However this is from the point of view of someone who has never done either. Conversely would I be a maniac in trying and doing it myself as an enthusiastic amateur?
Looking for nice linear torque for "real world" driving not chasing pub racing bhp figures, and if it happens to rapid too, so much the better.

Any suggestions??
9a kr k-jet vs ABF digi?
Anyone?!?

If you have everything there then like you say, the sensible move would be to use the digi management.

Have a look through Danny_p's posts for the RR print out of his ABF on standard management with decat and tubular manifold, tis pretty impressive :wink:

Offline Nik_16v

• Not said much yet
« Reply #37 on: 01 December 2008, 18:22 »
Ok ive just had a quick read through this post but cant find anything solid on what i want to know.

Will KR cams in a standard ABF make a difference??Would i need both cams and are they just a straight swap nothing else needed??

Cheers,Nik

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #38 on: 01 December 2008, 18:36 »
leave the ABF cams in.   they may have less duration but have more lift.  they give the same power as KR cams in the high rpm  but more than kr cams in the lower revs   :smiley:
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #39 on: 03 December 2008, 23:37 »
Excellent stuff here, will have a look for Danny P's RR stuff soon as I post this.
 Was speaking to John @ Bedrock Vdubs who reckons a 9A would be my best bet with a KR head ported to match.
I dunno, has anyone got figures to compare?

Basically don't want to go too far away from stock appearance for the fact that it's a pretty mint 110k oak green 'valver with FSH and I prefer to keep it low key and don't want to wreck a classic, only enhance it.

Saw TSR can do a rebore to either 1900 or 2000 with, i think 272 cams for the 1900, with a reliable 185bhp. Seems this option would be more "period sympathetic" Anyone got one on here? If so what like to drive?
 Aiming for a practical daily that'll entertain when giving it a bit of stick every now and then. Don't really drive flat out everywhere these days since, the crash.... :embarassed: