Author Topic: Temp light comes on and flashes?  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Shady Pioneer

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 8,669
  • graphic designer.
Temp light comes on and flashes?
« on: 11 October 2008, 09:52 »
Yeah, so over the last couple of months it's been doing this. If I turn the engine off though it goes away and its fine for like 2 weeks and then it'll occasionally happen again.

My temp gauge is showing 90. It never goes over or under so maybe a dodgy sensor?

Offline Rmachines

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,901
  • Passat 20vT Estate and Candy White MK3 1.8 GL
Re: Temp light comes on and flashes?
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2008, 13:54 »
My car had overheated and the light doesnt even come on lol.   What sensor is that connected too?
10 golfs and counting! 

Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!


kells

  • Guest
Re: Temp light comes on and flashes?
« Reply #2 on: 11 October 2008, 14:29 »
shady, have you checked the coolant level at all?

Offline spunkymonkey

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 706
  • Tepidly moist! That's what that is!
Re: Temp light comes on and flashes?
« Reply #3 on: 11 October 2008, 14:55 »
If the bottle has a sensor in it replace the bottle, only about a tenner from the dealer. I work at skoda and we change loads of these.
 

Offline boneybradley

  • Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 9,482
  • Back in a Mk3...
Re: Temp light comes on and flashes?
« Reply #4 on: 11 October 2008, 14:57 »
shady, have you checked the coolant level at all?

 :grin: :grin: :grin: :huh:

I would say the sensor if facked... the oil one's do similar too!!(and have made me some good money over the years :lipsrsealed:)
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)



Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

kells

  • Guest
Re: Temp light comes on and flashes?
« Reply #5 on: 11 October 2008, 16:20 »
bottle is alot more than a tenner too, try 30 quid ish for the mk 3 (Gti anyway), mk 4 ones are around 11 quid but thats a different story :kiss:

Offline Shady Pioneer

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 8,669
  • graphic designer.
Re: Temp light comes on and flashes?
« Reply #6 on: 11 October 2008, 17:38 »
No I haven't checked the coolant level, I'll do that first. That's the round bottle right?

My oil light flashes when I go round roundabouts too, and has a loud beeping noise when it does so, it's only when I'm doing it at speed.

It's not my oil being low though because I had a recent new rocker cover seal and for the past 2 months my oil has been the same level (on the dipstick where it's meant to be lol).

Offline ace

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 604
Re: Temp light comes on and flashes?
« Reply #7 on: 11 October 2008, 17:50 »
with regards the oil light, probably need a new oil pressure switch. think this a farily common problem. mine went on my old gti, kept beeping over 2k rpm.

you can get the switch from ecp for about £10-£15

kells

  • Guest
Re: Temp light comes on and flashes?
« Reply #8 on: 11 October 2008, 17:54 »
round bottle yes. deffo check the levels first, should be between the min and max line when its cold

Offline Shady Pioneer

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 8,669
  • graphic designer.
Re: Temp light comes on and flashes?
« Reply #9 on: 14 October 2008, 13:38 »
Musta been my coolant level, considering there wasn't very much in there!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: