Author Topic: help me reach 100! - update! GTI HEAD BOUGHT!  (Read 21204 times)

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
Re: help me reach 100!
« Reply #10 on: 06 October 2008, 16:31 »
I have a K-jet dizzi here, if you're interested.  This came out of a K-jet fueled Scirocco, so it should be the one with the more aggressive advance.
Im very interested mate. does it also come with the small plug that goes on the side? RJ said i should get the plug to have it working at 100%.
As for the head porting, sounds like its fairly easy, and i might give it a go. Theres an 8v gti head on ebay going pretty cheap at the moment, and ive got my eye on it. So if i do win it, i'l try some porting.
Also been thinking about re-jetting my carb to 1.8, and i think now is about the time.
cheers for the info diamond, and im very interested in the dizzie. PM me how much you looking for it? (bear in mine ive got about £100 for everything so dont be mean!) :smiley:

i have an 8v cam somewhere you can have if your ever near guildford

and thanks buddy, but as i stated in the first post, ive already got an 8v gti camshaft in the 1.6 head, so i wont be needing it. But thanks for the offer anyway :wink:

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #11 on: 06 October 2008, 16:32 »
i should read the post properly next time   :laugh:

Offline Cosworth Lee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 06 October 2008, 16:37 »
Ignore the nay-sayers.  If you want to chase BHP on a 1.6 - go for it.  A bit of cheap junkyard tuning is good for a bit of low-price fun.

I have a K-jet dizzi here, if you're interested.  This came out of a K-jet fueled Scirocco, so it should be the one with the more aggressive advance.

If it were me I'd hold on and get a PB head on at the same time you do the manifold and downpipe.  This'll get the motor breathing much better.  Porting work can get quite expensive as you're generally paying for time from an experienced engineer. 

You *can* always buy a Dremel-type tool and smooth out some of the bigger lumps on the casting (not too smooth though - you need the inlet charge to tumble).  If you test fit the exhaust and inlet manifold gaskets you will see if there's any material sticking out past the gaskets.  If there is, cut this back with the dremel, to open the ports out.  You can do this both on the head and on the manifolds,  so you have matched the ports to the manifolds - this will improve flow as there aren't any 'steps' in the system.  It's not rocket science, but it might just help you achieve your 100bhp.

Make sure you've got healthy compression, specifically that your bottom end is sound before going down this route.  Also bear in mind that if you dramatically improve flow you might lean the fueling out, so after a batch of mods you may need to re-jet the carb - this is really a job best done on a rolling road - more expense, but that's quite a lot of what turning up the wick on car is all about....

but even the things you have just spoken about all add up to way more than the price of a 2nd hand gti lump.
Theres loads of gti engines around, easily picked up for £150-200.

Dont get me wrong, im not against the chap tuning up the 1.6, after all it can be enjoyable and rewarding.

But from a money point of view, its TOTAL FALSE ECONOMY.

£300,400-500? to tune up the 1.6 with all the parts, rolling road, and not to mention the time to do it all. and all for 90-100bhp

£200 (£300 for a good lump with proven history/milage, or even a whole donor car i.e mot rust failure then sell the scrap shell to get some dosh back) and you have a guranteed 130bhp at least. and could all be done in a weekend!

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #13 on: 06 October 2008, 16:38 »
i should read the post properly next time   :laugh:
dont worry mate i do it all the time :grin:

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 06 October 2008, 16:43 »
but even the things you have just spoken about all add up to way more than the price of a 2nd hand gti lump.

Dont get me wrong, im not against the chap tuning up the 1.6, after all it can be enjoyable and rewarding.

£300,400-500? to tune up the 1.6 with all the parts, rolling road, and not to mention the time to do it all. and all for 90-100bhp

£200 (£300 for a good lump with proven history/milage, or even a whole donor car i.e mot rust failure then sell the scrap shell to get some dosh back) and you have a guranteed 130bhp at least. and could all be done in a weekend!

I think everyone knows what you're saying there mate and agree with it, but as mentioned the guy is aiming to do it all for a ton and you'd be very hard pushed to do a gti conversion for that. Also take into account that if he has an accident then the gti lump would be quite obvious to an insurance assessor, whereas a gti head and manifold not so obvious, should he not bother declaring it. :wink: The other bonus to his plans is that it can all be done in a day, whereas the gti engine is a little more involved what with the loom and fuel pumps etc.

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #15 on: 06 October 2008, 16:43 »

i know what you mean mate, but if i said gti engine to insurance companies, my insurance would start going up like mad. i know engines can be picked up for £200, but im not gonna spend that on modding this one, if im lucky, and search carefully, i can buy all the bits for under £100 as mew said. ok, some bits like rejetting are better bought new, and it costs £25 to rejet to 1.8, but then i make up for it buy lucky ebay auctions etc.

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 06 October 2008, 18:21 »
on a 1.6 with

webber 32/34
PB head and cam (gti)  with minor bit of porting
shaved hedghog ( manifold heater)
full gti exhaust
k jet 8v dizzy

ive topped 100 quite easaly

surley the money spent on that lot, you could just buy an old gti engine and install that?

would probably work out cheaper and ur gna have at least 130ish! in there.

Get this a lot in the ford scene, with people trying to make a 1.4 or 1.6 quicker, its so more ecomimical just to change the engine!

I suppose the only argument u may have is "insurance", but from the way i see it i cant think there will be much difference in price between a modified 1.6 on the limit at 100bhp, or a gti engine swap to 130!

Oh and just to add, you will probably spend all that money and a month later u will probably want more power again!!
Ive had 480 bhp before, and even tho i sold it cos it was too quick, i still wanted more power!!

no brainer really. stop buggering around, get on ebay and buy an old gti engine, prob get one for £100!

did that for a lot less than £100

headset  £0.99 + 2.99 postage ( ebay)
dead gti engine £20 (local scrappy)
exhaust  £15
carb £15  from renult 5 ( local scrappy )
shaved hedghog £ free
porting  £2.99  ( cheep carbide bit for drill )
jets £20

grand total £76.97

it can be done

anyway spending £300 on a counterflow 8 valve woudl be a waste of money id be looking to go 16v
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #17 on: 06 October 2008, 18:29 »
carb, camshaft ive already got, so that saves me bout £200.
And as danny said. Porting, shaving hedgehog, is cheap/free, and getting hold of bits, f you know were to look it can be very cheap.

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 06 October 2008, 18:32 »
just don't get over excited with the porting,   just match the inlet ports on the head to the gasket and the same on the inlet manifold  that way it's inpossible to bugger things up,  cutting the hedghog down is where the power gain comes from big differance from 4000 rpm 
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #19 on: 06 October 2008, 18:51 »
just don't get over excited with the porting,   just match the inlet ports on the head to the gasket and the same on the inlet manifold  that way it's inpossible to bugger things up,  cutting the hedghog down is where the power gain comes from big differance from 4000 rpm 
:wink: cheers for the tips mate. I'l see if i win the head, if i do, i'l pick it up this weekend, and get the work started. I'l buy the bits i need, get it nice and clean and shiny, then give it a lick of paint.
where would you say i buy the HG, head bolts, and other gaskets from? also, if i have a 1.8 gti head, would i need 1.8 gti headgasket, 1.8 exhaust gasket, and 1.8 inlet manifold gasket?
Im thinking somewere like GSF or ECP, but what would you say?