Author Topic: rhyso - dirty diesel power!  (Read 48917 times)

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: rhyso - dirty diesel power!
« Reply #80 on: 22 December 2009, 21:34 »
Big thanks to Mr Dave for his efforts on Saturday

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #81 on: 30 December 2009, 11:34 »
Got another 12 months MOT  :cool:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #82 on: 11 January 2010, 08:47 »
Had an incident with the kerb last Tuesday  :cry: :cry:

Booked it in for 4 wheel alignment just to make sure everything was ok

Thankfully only the toe was out and although the figure shown isn't much apparently it was a lot worse but the guy working on it didn't save the original measurements

With everything in good order me and Dan headed on up for the rolling road weekend

R-Tech Charity meet

Looks like my actuator isn't performing as it should but it still performs OK in the real world  :undecided: although it doesn't feel as quick at the top end as it used due to the boost dropping off.  Topher (Chris) did a quick log of it on Saturday and its making all the right boost numbers so hopefully it means no leaks! Just a little frustrating as i seem so close yet so far to having the car running absolutely 100% spot on  :sad:

« Last Edit: 12 January 2010, 11:41 by Rhyso »

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #83 on: 18 January 2010, 08:26 »
Got up this morning with the intent of doing some jobs on the Golf

First was to wash approx 10 weeks of salt and grime off it!

Second was to replace the gaskets on my rear lights

Thirdly was to actually attempt to install my autodimming mirror.......so off I went to pick up a few bits and pieces for the install.

Came back and went to remove the old mirror......

Result is I will be having a new tinted, rain sensing windscreen  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #84 on: 23 January 2010, 15:07 »
After a less than successful Sunday, it was time to tackle a few more jobs

LED Rear number plate lights

Fit the push fittings to my rear mats (been bugging me for nearly 4 years  :laugh:)

And the wiring for my auto dimming mirror

I even hoovered the interior for the first time in about 3 months  :lipsrsealed:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #85 on: 24 January 2010, 17:34 »
Today I tackled installing some LED puddle lights in the door mirrors

only took a couple of pics

Will try and get some pics later of the lights in action.  Got a feeling I might not be happy with the blue.....  :undecided:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #86 on: 06 February 2010, 18:04 »
Well the puddle light lasted long....looks like water sat in the mirror caused the connections to rust and the led's snap off....joy.

So i stripped the wiring out and not going to bother. I may in the future put some at the bottom of the door card  :undecided:

Anyhoo onto the saga that ensued this week.....

Last Friday en route to my parents my wheel bearing started whining like a good one so upon my return I booked in for a free check up at VW.  They confirmed it was the bearing along with the ball joint!! This was slightly worrying as the car passed its MOT literally 5 weeks previous with no mention of play in anything......

So with VW quoting roughly the same price as other local garages (go figure!), it was booked in for Thursday to replace both.  Waited most of the day Thursday until finally getting a call about 2pm that it was ready.  So picked it up, test drove it, noticed the tracking was out.  Phoned VW and confirmed if the tracking was done.  Apparently so to which I explained 'well, its out!'  OK drop it back and we'll take a look.

So dropped it back, they looked at it and confirmed that the NEW wheel bearing was knackered!!  :shocked: :shocked: :angry:  So i had to leave the car there and hope they would sort it ASAP for Friday as it was Linzi's birthday and we planned to go out for the day

Thankfully I got a phonecall before 10am saying it was ready.  Picked it up and its now driving spot on  :cool:

Until the next episode.....

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #87 on: 06 March 2010, 18:07 »
And here's an idea of what needs to be removed if you have a standard radio cage like me lol

Before

During

Reason why:

Afters:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #88 on: 06 March 2010, 18:08 »
As some of you know I headed off to R-Tech yesterday to find out why I was bleeding boost at the top end of the rev range - more specifically - the boost was dropping from 24PSI down to around 21-22PSI

Bare with me as its a bit of an essay but I'll hopefully add some pics when Photobucket behaves itself. 

When I was at the RR day in January we had a look at the actuator and found it was sticking slightly so for yesterday Nick ordered in a Forge uprated actuator (yes I know how much I love Forge but)

So as well as having a turbo clean Nick fitted the new actuator along with the spring that was provided although Forge cocked up and supplied the wrong springs but luckily the springs from the 007P are the same and Nick had a few colours spare

Pic of the item in question - the spring nearest the actuator is what should be fitted - the ones next to it are what were supplied  :rolleyes:

So we started with what Forge provided - a yellow spring and here is what happened next......all the initial runs were done with my current Spec 2 map in place

Yellow spring - took it out and initially the car felt sluggish and unresponsive but the more I drove the more it seemed to free up.  With Topher in the passenger seat doing the logging we headed for a blast up and down the M69.  It become more apparent though that the more you drove it the freer it seemed to get, the car getting ever quicker although what was noticeable is that the car wasn't overboosting to 27PSI and then back to 24PSI.  Instead it was either
A) surging as in starting from 21PSI and increasing to 25psi
b) would boost straight up to 24psi and just sit there!

After a approximately a 40 mile round trip we headed back and went to try the next spring, the initial thoughts being that an even stiffer spring was needed........

Red Spring - this was fitted and the test drive last until the 2nd roundabout - conclusion; its TOO stiff - there was no power from 2000rpm and then at 2700rpm it unleashed holy hell but even then it only spiked to 20psi.  Needless to say it wasn't in for very long!

So the train of thought moved to a softer spring.....

Green spring - quite simply, if it wasn't for the fear of blowing my turbo across Hinckley I'd have this currently fitted.  Saw regular spikes of 35PSI   :shocked: in the short tun we did and I'm fairly sure if my boost gauge could read higher it would have gone higher.  Quite simply it was the quickest the car has ever felt!  It would just boost and go.  Sadly though I quite like my current turbo and so does Nick and Topher so we headed back and put the Yellow spring back in and started playing with the mapping

First map was without being kind, not great.  Lots of smoke on part throttle, felt like the turbo was being strangled, and then clearing its throat.  So Nick started again from my original Spec 2 map

Nick took it for a drive first and came back not overly happy but thought I should decide for myself

This 2nd map was much improved, minimal pre-boost smoke and then gathering pace very quickly with minimal turbo lag, even on full throttle.

We did a couple of rolling road runs but all the runs were down on power and torque (averaged 170bhp and approx 290lbs ft torque in 4th gear) BUT I was now holding power where previously it was tailing off.

I set off home and for 90 miles it was superb right up until the point it threw me into limp mode  :sad:  The reason behind this after chatting with Nick yesterday and this afternoon is simply this - the spring rate isn't suitable and therefore you get instances where the boost will surge as the actuator struggles to control what's being asked of it.  No amount of mapping will ever cure this simply because the fault is mechanical

So to conclude - a new standard actuator will be fitted in a couple of weeks and further testing in both mine and Nick's opinion needs to be done to try and find the correct spring rate to suit a mapped car.  It now seems obvious why the hybrid turbo builders currently do NOT recommend you fit this Forge actuator.

It's a bit of a shame if I'm totally honest - the potential is there, it just needs some more fine tuning and development work.  An ideal solution would be a spring rate between the green and yellow.  Nick said there are also some subtle differences on the rod of the standard and Forge actuator which could explain why it sticks initially  :undecided:

Hope that makes some sort of sense  :smiley:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #89 on: 27 March 2010, 12:01 »
Right - some updates

New standard actuator was fitted by Nick and Ben about 2 weeks ago - much better.  Needs some data logging and fine tuning but its 99% there :afro:

Need to sort out some weird steering issue so going to start by changing the track rod ends

Car is still in he bodyshop - hoping to pick it up tomorrow

In the meantime here's my 15 minutes of fame albeit they got my name wrong  :laugh: :laugh: