Author Topic: .:R32. Hated or Loved? Im curious  (Read 3142 times)

Offline djhorace

• GTI forum regular
  • Yee ha!
Re: .:R32. Hated or Loved? Im curious
« Reply #10 on: 30 July 2008, 18:25 »
I don't hate the R32 - it just does not push my buttons. Its weird how the top spec Golf with the "R" badge is not head and shoulders above its "lesser" siblings.

As said above, it really needs 300bhp + to be taken seriously.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 30 July 2008, 19:02 »
I obviously love it as I did the mk4 .:R too! For me its the fact that its subtle doesnt really stand out (unless you want to). Wouldn't agree with anything those yanky tw4ts living in the great depression say :angry:

Although on paper you might say that it needs an extra 50 bhp... I would say you need to live with one before you just look at the 250bhp figure. It handles this figure with no drama what so ever, never struggles to put its power down and doesnt suffer from understeer if you know how to drive it. Full with passengers or empty, down or uphill makes very little difference to the performance. Its very easy to live with and your passenger dont need a neck brace to sit with you when you pushing on. Obviously with the AWD it takes a little from the fun factor but definately adds to its ability... a compromise well worth it i would say.

I know many of you question why only 250bhp from the 3.2 v6 like myself. Well I hate to say it but its down to audi!! VW will never be allowed to be better that its older brother... simple as that for me.

The down side?? simple... those nobb jockeys we apparently vote for every now and then. Fuel prices are simply crippling and killing the R32 and other big engined cars unless your well off enough to not flinch at the costs. On the positive side I recently managed a reasonable 28mpg average over a full tank, which is very good from a 3.2 by any standard... before you all ask, no i didnt drive like a granny!! Even managed to see off a few motors too :wink:

I think I might even do a full (and honest) write up of 1 years ownership next month...   :grin:

Phil mcavity

« Reply #12 on: 30 July 2008, 19:34 »

I think I might even do a full (and honest) write up of 1 years ownership next month...   :grin:

and when you do, please place it in this section plz r32uk :wink:, i think this will have most relevance no doubt!!   :laugh:
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=64070.0

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 30 July 2008, 19:45 »

and when you do, please place it in this section plz r32uk :wink:, i think this will have most relevance no doubt!!   :laugh:
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=64070.0

Might have to do a whole different write up for that section!! Have had to seriously ease up recently.. cant belive I got 8 points :cry:

Had the eagle F1 asymmetrics fitted yesterday too!!  :grin: :grin:

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
« Reply #14 on: 30 July 2008, 20:15 »
....I've driven modded Mk4 R32's, a standard Mk5 .:R and a friend's APS Stage3 Mk5 R32 DSG with Haldex. They all feel a bit heavier than the GTI but are a great car and a gloriously addictive V6 soundtrack, especially with Milltek.

I love them!
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Phil mcavity

« Reply #15 on: 30 July 2008, 20:24 »
i also drove a manual Mk5 R, and it felt it had no urgentcy about it, great sound track, loved it also having a sunroof which ive never had, which made the soundtrack sound even nicer in the sunshine. But it wasnt enough to make me go "must have it" if you know what i mean. i hope something special in the Mk6 R if there will ever be such a thing, and that VW follow Ford and Renault raising the performance benchmark lately.

Offline MAT ed30

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 30 July 2008, 22:13 »
i loved my r32 and it sounded the dogs nuts when i put an exhaust on it, i would have had another if they had done it in white  :drool: its a great car and is such a well planted car but maybe could have done with a few extra ponies but that can always be sorted  :wink:

« Last Edit: 30 July 2008, 23:18 by MAT ed30 »

EDITION 30 NUMBER:- 1038 ,Forge dv,ecs dog bone insert,Tints,inpro smoked indicators,panel filter,Black badge,Black roof,Black wing mirrors,REVO stage 2,Blueflame TBE,neuspeed arb,Neuspeed drop links,KW V3,S3 Intercooler,VWR clutch and LSD,VWR 6 pot brakes,1956 vw beetle (2332cc)

Offline Top Cat

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 30 July 2008, 23:01 »
i loved my r32 and it sounded the dogs nuts when i put an exhaust on it, i would have had another if they had done it in white  :drool: its a great car and is such a well planted car but maybe could have done with a few extra ponies but that car always be sorted  :wink:

now that you havedriven a ED30 would you still swap for another R32 if available in white nice car by the way.  :smiley:

Offline MAT ed30

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 30 July 2008, 23:23 »
if i had the cash to add a turbo hell yes  :evil: but then again i love my ed30  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 30 July 2008, 23:26 by MAT ed30 »

EDITION 30 NUMBER:- 1038 ,Forge dv,ecs dog bone insert,Tints,inpro smoked indicators,panel filter,Black badge,Black roof,Black wing mirrors,REVO stage 2,Blueflame TBE,neuspeed arb,Neuspeed drop links,KW V3,S3 Intercooler,VWR clutch and LSD,VWR 6 pot brakes,1956 vw beetle (2332cc)

Offline SO8

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 30 July 2008, 23:23 »
I looked at an R32 but didn't like the image they have or the fuel / tax issues .... + I liked the looks of the Edition 30, so bought one  :smiley:

I know what the 4wd system is like though and miss that and the soundtrack !  Still, I look forward in due course to making the Edition 30 have urge an  R32 owner would have to spend thousands to replicate  :grin: