Author Topic: slight idle issue  (Read 1953 times)

Offline richard s

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 725
slight idle issue
« on: 06 December 2007, 21:24 »
i have a 89 8v gti pb with 2.0 bottom end and have noticed recently that when i start driving  and stop car idles just below 1000rpm but when car has been driving/traffic for a bit idle is around 1000 1100rpm i know its not much but it gets on my nerves so does anyone know how to cure this
cheers

Offline Conker

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,999
Re: slight idle issue
« Reply #1 on: 07 December 2007, 13:25 »
Theres stacks of stuff on this.  This thread is recent, and has got loads of ideas:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=71501.0

Offline Organisys

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,330
  • Old and Slow...
Re: slight idle issue
« Reply #2 on: 07 December 2007, 13:34 »
Since it's a Digifant I will chip in.

Check these
1) Blue Temp Sender
2) Vacuum leaks  - including the breather on the cam cover
3) Throttle off switch and it's wiring
4) Clean the ISV

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline richard s

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 725
Re: slight idle issue
« Reply #3 on: 07 December 2007, 20:36 »
changed blue temp sender(vw part) throttle off switch never used to have a lever on it but ran ok since put one on with lever not made any difference so next one has to be vacuum leak is there just the 2 on the throrrle body (1 blocked off) and the seal on rocker lid also is it wirth changing the flying saucer

Offline takethefifth

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,034
Re: slight idle issue
« Reply #4 on: 07 December 2007, 20:41 »
It's worth checking the rubber bung that holds the flying saucer certainly. And any other rubber bits for cracks for that matter.

Offline richard s

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 725
Re: slight idle issue
« Reply #5 on: 07 December 2007, 20:47 »
i will have to put with it for a week as one of my drive gates was hanging on with one hinge so will be repairing that in the wind and rain this weekend
just another one of those things sent to try my patience

Offline Jay

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,415
  • balding fat cvnt
Re: slight idle issue
« Reply #6 on: 07 December 2007, 20:53 »
Life is here to try our patience, most people wait at least 75 years before running out of it  :tongue:
Chin up, it will get sorted sooner or later.
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline nealey

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,062
Re: slight idle issue
« Reply #7 on: 07 December 2007, 22:31 »
Since it's a Digifant I will chip in.

Check these
1) Blue Temp Sender
2) Vacuum leaks  - including the breather on the cam cover
3) Throttle off switch and it's wiring
4) Clean the ISV

Where is the throttle off switch located?? I think i could have a problem with mine

Offline Organisys

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,330
  • Old and Slow...
Re: slight idle issue
« Reply #8 on: 08 December 2007, 09:42 »
on the underside of the throttle body. the one on top is for wide open throttle.

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline richard s

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 725
Re: slight idle issue
« Reply #9 on: 09 December 2007, 20:13 »
gates are now fixed for now so i will be getting a flying saucer (anyone know the technical name for it)and bung ready for next weekend will also check out the other bits mentioned