Author Topic: Standard Golf GTI Vs R32  (Read 16454 times)

Offline deanpoli

• Not said much yet
Re: Standard Golf GTI Vs R32
« Reply #10 on: 28 October 2007, 13:42 »
interesting points. I only do 3000 miles a year in my GTI so based on that mileage, how much more would it cost to run an R32?

considering I do about 30 - 45 miles a week costing £20 spreading over nearly 2 weeks. how much more do you think id have to spend on petrol?

Think this would be a good guide for others who are thinking of buying an R32 to know the petrol consumption differences.

Phil mcavity

« Reply #11 on: 28 October 2007, 13:58 »
i would say in the region of 5mpg difference round town.Expect GTi to do 26mpg and R32 20-22.Do bear in mind we all dont live in town centres were as if you live in a place like cornwall where traffic lights are unheard of, then u would get as much as 8-10 mpg more imo
« Last Edit: 28 October 2007, 15:46 by Phil mcavity »

Offline deanpoli

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 28 October 2007, 14:22 »
that doesn't seem to bad, I usually get about 24 mpg on average commuting to work , depending on the traffic,  can fall to about 18 mpg.

so the R32 is about the same really. 

Peskarik

« Reply #13 on: 28 October 2007, 16:04 »
R32 = Jetta  :lipsrsealed:

MKIV R32 looks much better  :cool:

+1

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
« Reply #14 on: 28 October 2007, 16:18 »
I probably would have bought the R32 if it had been launched yet when I ordered my GTI. I borrowed a Mk5 R32 for the day and drove it back to back on the same road route to compare. Loved each for different reasons - Very much as Illyun has posted. However, I prefer the looks of the GTI and it would have cost me about £4grand to swop. I'm afraid I drove that R32 very hard and it drank the fuel tank and would have lost me my licence! Superb V6 music, even without a Milltek.
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline illyun

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 28 October 2007, 18:06 »
I'm afraid I drove that R32 very hard and it drank the fuel tank and would have lost me my licence! Superb V6 music, even without a Milltek.

That was my problem.. I demanded the V6 Orchestra play encore after encore when behind the wheel  :evil: :evil: :evil:  Probably why I was at the petrol station almost every day and still wake up in a cold sweat at the thought of how much money I spent on fuel when owning the R32  :shocked:  I could have got better fuel economy out of it by driving it like I do my GTI, but I challenge anyone to get behind the wheel of the beast that is the R32 and then drive like a granny - impossible  :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:  Best car I have ever owned.
Mk1 GTI Campaign, Mk5 GTI Edition 30, Mk6 GTI (Coming Soon...)

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 28 October 2007, 21:08 »
I agree totally.. if the R32 isnt going to cost you that much more in petrol then I would run with it!! Is a great car and I have even changed my opinion of the looks. I see Gti's all day long but the R32 is a much rarer sight on the roads, and this is probably why they take a little longer getting used to. But no doubt those who see them in the flesh often change their minds.

Biggest worry after buying one is how long you can hold onto your licence for.. effortless power simply beautiful music!

And.. to be honest I would expect the R to hold its value better than the Gti just simply because its usually released later on and the simple fact that its the daddy!! :grin:

Think I will just quickly pop out for a drive to return something to somewhere far away for no apparent reason  :smug:

Offline deanpoli

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 28 October 2007, 23:02 »
whats the ride like? does it body roll less than th GTI when going fast into corners?

but as you do this do you notice more or less understeer than a GTI? now seeing that it has 4 wheel drive i'm hoping to hear a response by that u can drive faster into the corners than you can with a GTI? is this right?

Offline maxamus

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 28 October 2007, 23:14 »
if i had the money now i would trade in my GTI and get a new R32!

Two reasons:

1. Looks Gorgoues
2. V6

Offline illyun

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 28 October 2007, 23:51 »
whats the ride like? does it body roll less than th GTI when going fast into corners?

but as you do this do you notice more or less understeer than a GTI? now seeing that it has 4 wheel drive i'm hoping to hear a response by that u can drive faster into the corners than you can with a GTI? is this right?

I didn't feel more body roll in the corners - it was justheavier thats all.  At the limit, the R32 will drift into a gentle slide but as far as how fast you drive into corners is concerned, i think it depends on the weather with the GTI  :rolleyes:  The suspension is stiffer than the GTI and I am sure the R32 sits lower too.
Mk1 GTI Campaign, Mk5 GTI Edition 30, Mk6 GTI (Coming Soon...)