Author Topic: Standard Golf GTI Vs R32  (Read 16465 times)

Offline deanpoli

• Not said much yet
Standard Golf GTI Vs R32
« on: 27 October 2007, 15:03 »
Hi All,

looking trade to trade in my standard GTi for an R32,  question is...is it worth paying couple of grand to trade up to the R32?

like to hear the thoughts of you all who have driven R32, what they feel like to drive, and is the handling better than standard GTI? can you go faster in the bends?  Does it body roll less?

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
Re: Standard Golf GTI Vs R32
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2007, 15:34 »
personally, I have a regular GTI and drive a lot in the city and don't drive like a nutter, but don't get that great MPG.  so I don't see the point of paying extra to run a 3.2 litre, also with the increased premiums and nickability.  just my 2 pence worth.  :nerd:
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2007, 15:39 »
Funny you should mention this as I was only just reading in an old car mag about these 2 against each other earlier today.

They basicly said that the R32 was thirstier, handled less well due to the extra weight up front and didn't feel "special" over the standard GTi even with the optional leather and sat nav. Their conclusion was buy a well spec'd Gti as it was the better car.

It was CAR magazine and they were testing them with the Astra VXR, Focus ST, Megane Cup or whatever its called, Mini Cooper S Works and BMW 130. The focus came 1st mostly due to price and the GTi 2nd. The R32 came about 5th.

Nick

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2007, 15:40 »
if it were me i'd remap the GTI; it will be faster than an R32 point to point and return reasonable MPG

also R32 is £400 plus in road tax now coupled with stupid petrol prices and it will hurt you very hard in the pocket

R98 HUF

« Reply #4 on: 27 October 2007, 16:15 »
taken from Golf+ Feb 06 test Gti v R32

"so which one? If i wanted an everyday, junior supercar with rock solid dynamic and kudos by the bucketload the R32 is hard to argue with.  But if i was going to tune it, then the GTi would certainly get the thumbs up.  Cost effective 270+ bhp conversions already exist with 300bhp possible for less than £3K, but that four-cylinder lump will never rival the presence and character of the R32's six-ot war cry.  Only trouble is V^ tuning doesn't come cheap and neither does the base spec R32 at £23745.  It's horses for courses really, but either way you'll end up with a satisfied grin on your face.....

Just happened to be reading the article earlier today....Prsonally i prefer the look of the GTi ovr the 32 but can afford neither!!! Great article tho get a back copy and read it!!!!

Phil mcavity

« Reply #5 on: 27 October 2007, 20:47 »
3 things to like only on the R32,
1. the sound
2.tinted rear light clusters.
3.The Alloys.

2 of those are changable, i totally agree, i high spec GTi is the Best allrounder if you dont have a growing family that is  :sick:  :cry:

Offline maxamus

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 28 October 2007, 09:04 »
i seen an R32 behind me the other day and i have to say it looked fantic!!!!
It certainly had presence.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #7 on: 28 October 2007, 09:08 »
R32 = Jetta  :lipsrsealed:

MKIV R32 looks much better  :cool:

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 28 October 2007, 10:47 »
If your even thinking of changing.. then lets face it.. its time to do it!! Buy the R32 its simply a more serious tool. If you know how to drive you can have as much fun with this car as you can with almost anything. Its simply brilliant!! Drive it fast, drive it slow, it sounds wonderful (not cheap).. Even the most basic of spec makes it feel special. Your probably on the wrong board to be asking this question as the number of gti drivers easily outweighs the number of R32 drivers. However read the "R32 review" thread at the top of this page and once you have read what each offers I am sure it will help you make up your mind.. as I did!!

Im sure you will enjoy them both :grin:

Offline illyun

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 28 October 2007, 12:40 »
My humble opinion - stated on various other posts at length - is that:

1.  The GTI handles better and is more nimble than the R32, but only by a small amount.
2.  The GTI has a better history and iconic status than the R32 so long term the Ed30 may well hold its value better than an R32.
3.  You can easily and cheaply tune the GTI - not so the R32

Which car do I prefer?

Hands down the R32  :evil: :evil: :evil:

1.  The sound alone makes it worth buying.
2.  It may not be photogenic, but in the flesh it is awesome and has presence - esp the Deep Blue Pearlescent one  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
3. The V6 engine does not at all feel strained at any point unlike the 2.0 TFSI
4.  It feels special when you drive it compared to the GTI
5.  Its 4WD so who cares about ice or rain  :evil: :evil: :evil:

So why didn't I keep my R32? Simply for reasons 2 and 3 above (from the first set of points) - oh and the fuel economy  :sick: :sick: :sick: which isn't too bad for a 3.2 engine but with petrol prices at an all time high and tax rising to £400 it just did not make sense for me  :cry:

However, I intend on buying a second hand one in the next 12 months - while keeping the Ed30 in the garage - and driving it for 6-12 months just to hear that V6 growl for one last time  :evil: :evil:
Mk1 GTI Campaign, Mk5 GTI Edition 30, Mk6 GTI (Coming Soon...)