I don't have to take the center console out though eh...?
No need to touch the centre console.
Pull all the blank switches off the facia
Pull out and unplug all switches from facia
Pull off the plastic ends off the vent slides & vent dial (cant remember how I got the vent facia off but it was easy and I didn't break it)
Undo the screws that hold the facia on (I reckomend a magnetised philips as they may drop somewhere when loose)
Remove facia
Unclip the electrical plug/s, from the clocks (one or two dependant the model)
Undo the two screws that hold the clocks, then tilt the top toward you. If you lean to one side and look in you'll just about see the speedo cable going in the back of the speedo.
Squeeze your hand through and squeeze the clips in and push the cable back toward the engine.
Now just pull the clocks out.
As for putting the cable back on, well I haven't done it yet as I'm looking for some nice dials to get.
As Gozza's pointed out that it's a cow to put the cable back on it might be better to put the front of the car on stands and start it up and chuck it in 2nd gear and let it tick over until the square end of the cable lines up with the back of the speedo. You'll understand it when you see it all anyways