Author Topic: "And here's what it needs" said the mechanic handing me a list....  (Read 2722 times)

Offline robster23

• Not said much yet
  • Now a VW Fox Owner.
Yikes - discs and bearings together? That sounds painful. I hope that isn't the case.

Thanks for the Brembo heads up - will look at gsf tonight.
It's urban right? That means it must be tougher, obviously.... ;-)

Offline ace

• I live here
yeah when i got my rear discs fitted, had to get bearings done as well otherwise i would have done them myself. front discs are much more simpler, just the one nut if i remember correctly.

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
take a real good look at the rear discs and if there is only some small score marks they no reall need to change them. just change the pads if they are well worn. But if you got big visible ridges they you will have to change the discs!
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Rear brakes arn't hard, you just need to tap in the bearing race & fit to the car, no special tools needed, apart from a suitably sized drift.  Easiest way is to tap the bearing race out of your old disc, and use that to tap in the new one :)
Buy yourself a haynes, all those jobs are easy DIY, apart from the tracking of course.  Zaust system can be a bit of a nightmare, but with someone to help you should be ok.  Get a jack & axle stands or some ramps :)

Best place for service items I've found is AVS:
http://www.vwspares.co.uk
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline robster23

• Not said much yet
  • Now a VW Fox Owner.
Thanks Jonny, i'm trying to get a haynes manual on ebay at the mo - not too uncomfortable with a spanner so I hope to give it a go but the timing belt i've left to a pro lol. :cool:

opel

with the rear disc u have to take the rear wheel bearing out f the rear and fit them into you new ones it not to bad but sums there really hard to get out. u just need a hammer and a punch. then u need to wind the rear caliper back so u can fit new pads in. front disc and pads piece of piss. remove the caliper using a 6mm our 7mm allen key on the sliders and remove the brake hub were the pads sit and remove ya disc make sure to clean the surface were the disc sits or u will get brake judder.

Offline robster23

• Not said much yet
  • Now a VW Fox Owner.
Thanks Opel, Haynes manual should be arriving today or tomorrow so I shall look it up!

Rob

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
Rear discs do indeed house the rear wheel bearings, not a big job, just a bit tricky if you haven't done it before.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS