Author Topic: Turbo loss  (Read 10966 times)

Offline Mantamad

• GTI forum regular
Re: Turbo loss
« Reply #20 on: 13 January 2007, 16:38 »
Mine has done it 4 times in the past 2 weeks, I will check for faulty hoses/connections first.
Black 2002 GT TDi 130

Offline spydoor

• Not said much yet
  • -[ MkIV GTTDI PD150 - Revo Remap ]-
« Reply #21 on: 16 January 2007, 09:39 »
My PD150 (revo remapped) has got a similar problem, only I can't seem to reset it by turning the ignition off and on.  When I cruise in any gear the engine stutters slightly and if I give some beans I leave a thick black smoke cloud behind me.
Power is massively reduced, and it seems to take ages to get up to 30mph!

I've replaced the MAF monitor, but this seems to have made little, if any difference.  Had a bit of a shifty last night for holes, leaks and loose pipes, but had no joy (but it was dark).

Gonna get VAG-COM on it tonight, hopefully that will shed some light.

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 16 January 2007, 11:17 »
That sounds like a bad leak, where the hose has completely detatched. I've worked a 150 that popped an inlet hose to the precooler and as soon as you touched the throttle thick black smoke came out the back.
Have a look under the bumper forward of the front wheel, drivers side, at the precooler.

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #23 on: 16 January 2007, 13:36 »
That sounds like a bad leak, where the hose has completely detatched. I've worked a 150 that popped an inlet hose to the precooler and as soon as you touched the throttle thick black smoke came out the back.
Have a look under the bumper forward of the front wheel, drivers side, at the precooler.

i had a similar problem on my 150 except it was the hose connection to the intercooler, when mine went i had no power over 2000 RPM

if i was you get the car jacked or raised up and check all the connections. i replaced the hose clips on mine too, these are 30p each from the stealer.

Offline spydoor

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 16 January 2007, 22:27 »
Cheers for the info guys I'll take a proper look in the light when I get a chance (damn winter days).

Here's what VAG-COM is telling me:
17964 - Charge Pressure Control : Negative Deviation P1556 - 35 - 00

Seems to tally with what you're saying.  Although, went out for a run tonight (mainly just to see if I could re-create the fault after clearing it...I could) and it stopped smoking, still no power tho.

Hope it is a bad leak, should be easier to spot *crosses fingers*

Offline spydoor

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 17 January 2007, 20:42 »
Sorted it!

Thanks for all your advise guys.  Turned out to be the pipe on the passenger side of the intercooler, it had come almost half the way off.  Reseated it and put the clip back (which seemed a bit feeble) took it for a run and normal performance has been restored...yay!

Give yourselves a pat on the back!

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #26 on: 17 January 2007, 22:16 »
Sorted it!

Thanks for all your advise guys.  Turned out to be the pipe on the passenger side of the intercooler, it had come almost half the way off.  Reseated it and put the clip back (which seemed a bit feeble) took it for a run and normal performance has been restored...yay!

Give yourselves a pat on the back!

thats the same as what happened to mine, on mine the bit which sticks out and holds it in place against the clip had worn away so it literally popped out if the pressure was too high.  I'd recommend you give the hose a quick inspection just to make sure its not worn down.

Good to hear that its working again though!

Offline spydoor

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 18 January 2007, 20:29 »
When I re-seated it I had a good shifty at the pipe to see why it had come off, but couldn't see anything up with it.  The only thing that concerned me was the flimsy clip, it was possibly to far along towards the end of the pipe.

Plus I've only just managed to get my hands clean  :wink:

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 19 January 2007, 00:36 »
I don't believe it. First time in ages, my turbo stopped working this evening :angry:

Steady 70/80mph all the way home, came off the motorway and on to the B roads and it was gone........zero acceleration. Stopped, switched off/on and it was fine.

Funny thing though. Earlier this evening I was checking the car over as Hazel driving 340 miles in it tomorrow. I moved/looked at a vacuum hose that looked like it had chafed slightly. I didn't think it looked too bad but it now seems like too much of a coincidence.

I bought 2m of vacuum pipe today to replace all the Polo pipes. Think I'll have a go at the TDI whilst I'm at it.

Offline bobdferret

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 05 February 2007, 08:23 »
Hi

Did you resolve this?