Author Topic: The need for speed!  (Read 9439 times)

Offline sKrEwBaLL

• Here all the time
Re:The need for speed!
« Reply #50 on: 18 November 2003, 16:53 »
I'll buy it off you.  Sounds like a minter

Offline Slim Shady

• Here all the time
  • Thrash her like a ginger step child
« Reply #51 on: 20 November 2003, 00:25 »

this is for VR6 so he can learn to read again

think before you rip before you make a chump of yourself

Offline modulater

• I live here
« Reply #52 on: 20 November 2003, 00:55 »

this is for VR6 so he can learn to read again

think before you rip before you make a chump of yourself

Sorry slim your the chump.

Back to basics.

The metering unit on a car does it exactly what it says on the tin. It meters the fuel. Right heres the good bit.

Your saying that by adding high lift longer duration cams and a sports flow air filter you will only gain say 2% extra.

BOLLOX

Learn the basics of engine tuning.

The given rule to increase engine performance is to firstly increase the swept volume of the engine by  way of a capacity increase. If this is not possible then the next step as you know slim is to improve the breathing capabilites of said engine.

The best way to do this is to increase the duration and lift of the camshaft, do this and you will increase the amount of air flow you are able to suck in during the induction cycle.

Obviously you wouldnt go to all this trouble and then utilise the standard paper filter. You would use a sports air filter which will mean that there is less restriction on the air flow.  I am not saying you will get massive power hikes as you wont on an atmospheric engine. You would have to employ forced induction for that.

You will in general terms and benchmark cases gain roughly 10 percent extra with a sports air filter, Its not hype its basic laws of physics.

What I am saying is that you have been negative on all points you have made and have not backed it up with any hard evidence so I think it is you that is the chump.

And if you wanna call me a chump I'll more than welcome it, I know the fundamentals of engines and how they work backwards, which is more than I can say for you.
« Last Edit: 20 November 2003, 01:05 by modulater »

Offline workhorse '90 8v

• Here all the time
« Reply #53 on: 20 November 2003, 09:59 »
I have to say, that with the luxury of two near identical 8v's for comparison, I can relay this to you -
Car A has a K&N replacement panel filter and the standard exhaust manifold.
Car B has a K&N induction kit and a sports exhaust manifold.

Car B is remarkably quicker, it suprises me every time i drive it, much smother throughout the rev range (less flat spots).

Conclusion - Car A will get an induction kit when finances permit.  But if you guys have the cash, i recomend getting the exhaust manifold upgraded too..    

Happy Flooring..............!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Slim Shady

• Here all the time
« Reply #54 on: 26 November 2003, 18:58 »

Your saying that by adding high lift longer duration cams and a sports flow air filter you will only gain say 2% extra.

I never said that

Please read again

golfvr6

« Reply #55 on: 26 November 2003, 19:18 »
You said adding a longer duration cam will do nothing unless you port the head. Well thats not really correct is it?

Offline Slim Shady

• Here all the time
« Reply #56 on: 26 November 2003, 19:26 »
OK - on re reading what I wrote - I could have put

"it would be of benefit to g/f head before adding cams"

you would recomend just plumping str8 for the cams without modding the head would you?

golfvr6

« Reply #57 on: 26 November 2003, 19:34 »
Depends how deep your pockets are !  ::)

Offline modulater

• I live here
« Reply #58 on: 29 November 2003, 22:13 »
I would say a sports air filter is a good investment purely because it will cost you less in the long run rather than having to keep putting in sh!tty paper ones.

Also it is a good base for engine mods that most owners start to indulge in as ownership and no claims bonus progress.

Offline Gozza

• I live here
« Reply #59 on: 30 November 2003, 21:13 »

No need in all arguing about the air filters just drill it if you want and dont if you dont want to simple.

Anyways I have had 3 mark 2's and did not bother drilling the air box because if you look on the side of the 16v filter box there is a flap thing that can simply be removed and thus gives the improved airflow. At least that way if you dont like it then just stick it back on simple  ;).

I have found that the cars felt better personally but that is just my opinion. How do you like them apples............... ;D