Author Topic: MK 5 R32 Review  (Read 34791 times)

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
Re: MK 5 R32 Review
« Reply #40 on: 10 June 2006, 12:37 »
IÂ’ve now had both the Mk5 GTi and R32 as you all know and after living with the two of them IÂ’m going to present my findings.

The difference is (to me):

GTI =

The best looking Mk5 Golf in Black with 18" Monza.
More Fun Orientated.
The lightest golf bar the 1.4 - how many of you didnÂ’t know that!
Great road holding - a joy to drive.
Great noises from engine and sounds even better with DSG as it burbles between high speed gear changes.
Fast a-b.
All the thrills and spills of FWD and 200 BHP.
Not all that in the wet ok once going though!
Great residual value.
I miss her - I had her 6 months and drove 3000 miles.

R32 =

Second best looking Mk5 BUT that DBP is the best colour - it should be called FECK OFF BLUE coz when people see it gleaming in the sunshine they say "Feck off look at that R32, Golf etc” 
Its a more serious tool.
Fantastic road holding (ESP OFF)  - it never feels like you’ve got a v6 lump in the front!
The best sounding golf ever - donÂ’t even think about challenging it in this area - have you ever heard one of these babies go? - They sound like a V8 rubble at low revs and a metallic thrashing sound at high revs - nice  :wink:
Very, very fast a-b especially in the wet - far more nimble in traffic than you'd think btw
Non of the 2WD thrills BUT you do get a very nice predicable and easy to manage 4 wheel drift at the edge of its road holding ability (ESP OFF)
What rain?
Even better residual value!
I love this car - I've had her 6 weeks and have covered 1700 miles!

Choice between the two if they were on my path...
« Last Edit: 10 June 2006, 13:58 by The Doc »

Offline paulm007

• Here all the time
  • On my orders, release Hell
« Reply #41 on: 12 June 2006, 11:50 »
Doc

As always a pleasure to read your posts.  So the question is which one to buy (as not all of us have your life :cry:!!)

Is the R32 really worth the extra £Â£Ã‚£Ã‚£, worth saving up for/paying through the nose for or does the GTI tick enough boxes for the average mortal  :smiley:

53 GT TDI 130 - Sold
07 GTI Ed30, 3dr, Black pearl now sold! :(

Offline Rog

• Not said much yet
  • Mk5 R32,5dr,Deep Blue,DSG,Sat Nav,Leather etc
« Reply #42 on: 12 June 2006, 15:19 »
Paulm007: I ordered a R32 back in Dec & I get it in 10 days time :smiley: from VW Sidlow Gatwick.  I've had my GTI for 13 months now & apart from the decidedly average HiFi I've enjoyed it immensely and I think it looks really mean with the 18'' alloys and Blue Graphite paint.  In my opinon the R32 is better to drive than the GTI I  like the 4wd & LOVE the V6 engine! Looks wise I prefered the GTI initially but now the R32 with it's colour coded bodywork, chrome grill, twin central exhausts & even the Zolder alloys looks better than it's little sister!
So it's only my opinion but the R32 is the one to go for & if by the time you spec up the GTI with Xenons etc the R32 is not that much more expensive!! :smiley:

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
« Reply #43 on: 12 June 2006, 21:49 »
 :grin:
« Last Edit: 10 January 2007, 20:12 by The Doc »

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
« Reply #44 on: 12 June 2006, 21:50 »
PS after writing that I'm going to take her out and smack her A+S+S !

Offline Matt555

• Here all the time
« Reply #45 on: 13 June 2006, 07:35 »
Hey I'm a loony driving a GTI  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But if the misses doesn't like the FWD come the deepest darkest depths of winter then maybe things will change........  My own personal thoughts are already known, both great cars but one has got right under my skin, damn thing is like a mossie bite  :evil:

Enjoy  :cool: :cool: :cool:

Offline paulm007

• Here all the time
  • On my orders, release Hell
« Reply #46 on: 13 June 2006, 14:05 »
Guys

Thanks for all the posts.  I am going to get one (or the other not both :cry: early next year).  Like Rog said, by the time all the options are on a standard GTI your not far from an R32 anyway.  So if I can, which I probably cant :embarassed: i will go for the 32, if not I am sure I wont cry too much driving the GTI

Roll on next year!! :evil:

53 GT TDI 130 - Sold
07 GTI Ed30, 3dr, Black pearl now sold! :(

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
« Reply #47 on: 13 June 2006, 19:02 »
You will love it mate!

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
« Reply #48 on: 28 June 2006, 23:48 »
Ps the answer is I'd rather spend the extra 3k coz I finalised my order for Sept and it's a 3 door R32 in (SUBTLE) Silver!
« Last Edit: 28 June 2006, 23:50 by The Doc »

Pike Man

« Reply #49 on: 05 July 2006, 13:09 »
I cancelled my R32 in favour of a GTI, which I now own... why?

The cost for starters... an R32 with the same list of options as the GTI I have was £28k, athat's £3k more than my GTI. Insurance - the R32 was £300pa more and a higher excess. Running costs...  servicing, petrol, etc. All more than the GTI.

Looks - my main reason for cancelling the R32.  It looks very plain, boring in fact. The front grille is frankly awful and the wheels look terrible on the car. The rear exhausts I like, as well as the rear diffuser. Love the rear lights though - so I stuck these on my GTI! All I can say is, park an R32 next to a GTI and make your own mind up... the GTI is way cooler and so much classier. An R32 looks like a Passat that's been eating too much. Every time I see an R32 I'm so glad I bought a GTI!

Performance - I drove both cars and frankly the R32 is ahead here. But... 4WD is not everything and I know, having owned a couple of TT's and a V6 4Motion Golf.  The V6 sound is great, but the GTI is quite vocal too. In the real world, both cars are not too far appart in terms of raw pace and I actually found the GTI to be much sharper, more focussed if you like.  I had an R32 try it with a few days ago and all he could do was keep up - he could not get past me.  That I think sums it up... well, I could mention that a small fee I have the option of making my GTI quicker than an R32.

No, as far as I'm concerned the R32 is a missed opportunity by VW.  The looks are ill judged and in some colours (like Black and Red) it just looks daft.  That's grille! What a mistaker to maker... bling is not in!  I just don't get why VW made a mess of the new R32.  It goes and handles so well, yet they style it so badly. Some may actually like it - but I like my cars to look good, as well as go well... if I was looking to spend near on £30k for a hatch, then I'd place an order for the new S3. Many an R32 buyer will wince when they see what they could have bought!

And then we have the GTI... the GTI is of course an icon. It's as fast as an R32 if you judge it from an every day driving perspective - not from how fast it'll get round a track... it looks fantastic and costs less to buy, run and own.  I could on... it's just so 'right' and sorry R32 owners, but you've got the second best car VW are calling a Golf!

IMHO of course  :cool: