Author Topic: GTI or R?  (Read 2380 times)

Offline japes1275

• Just got here
Re: GTI or R?
« Reply #20 on: 24 May 2024, 23:07 »
Test driven a few cars in the last week or so. First was an R estate which I liked and can appreciate what people have said about it liking to be revved, it’s a beast but also happy to be docile. Then I drove a couple of GTis, both manual, one a PP Mk7 and the other a 7.5 non PP. (I’m half thinking now about having a cheaper GTI as a 3rd car)
The earlier PP car was great, more than enough power to have some fun and as mentioned a lot nimbler feeling than the R and definitely my Alltrack. The second one was an altogether different experience. I now think I know what a TCR might feel like to drive! The dealer didn’t say anything about it but it had a Miltek exhaust and once I’d got out of the traffic and gave it its first boot full I realised it must have been mapped. It made the R feel slow! Gave me a huge grin but probably not what I’m after, especially as the lack of suspension mods and non PP brakes made it a bit of a point and squirt machine.

So one thing is now clear to me, even the 227 GTI will be fast enough to entertain and be special enough to replace or run alongside the Alltrack. So just got to find the right car. I’ve been offered a good deal on the R estate and the early PP car is tempting as a 3rd car as it is V cheap. Decisions, decisions!!