Author Topic: Meet Daisy…  (Read 12546 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Meet Daisy…
« Reply #30 on: 31 December 2023, 14:34 »
Not sure if there are any plug and play options for sound system upgrades like there was for the 7/7.5 if you ever fancied an upgrade? I know helix and audison were a previous ootion.

I did briefly research plug and play options when I first got the Clubsport, there’s a thread buried in here somewhere. Results were inconclusive and I lost momentum pretty quickly. In fact mostly the latter!

Hi Exonian and congratulations on your new toy  :smiley:

I'm with you on Pure White being the best colour for a Mk8 (in the absence of White Silver which I loved on my Mk7.5) but with a few others on having a hatred of diamond polished alloys solely because of deterioration issues.

Like you've said though you can always get them painted if that happens.

You said the end of your 3 year warranty was a factor in the change, but couldn't you have just bought a new 1 year “All Component Cover“ warranty from VW to put your mind at rest?  I'm guessing £400-£500 could be the going rate for a 3 year old Clubby and it would have given you more time to see what the Mk8.5 might offer.

My Clubby lease is up in 6 months and I'm thinking of extending the lease and buying the comprehensive warranty to keep my options open for another year and to see how car prices change in that period.

Anyway Daisy looks ace and I may still get an R some day if my luck is in.

Thanks BillSan  :smiley:

Warranty was a factor, as was trust that the warranty would actually cover all issues with the media system following updates. I factored in the savings on VED alone would cover a fair chunk of any warranty costs too.

I’d not recommend anyone follow in my footsteps, I don’t think a lot of sense factors in some of my car purchasing decisions, sometimes it’s also the ‘trying something new’ factor playing in the background (or few of us would ever actually change car at all).

The jury is out on a few things the R brings to the table. Early days yet though.

Waiting for the 8.5 wasn’t a concern for me, I’m sure there will be some detail improvements to styling, maybe the 333PS engine will be adopted for the R and the Clubby get 306PS or something, and I’m sure there will be changes to the interior with maybe fake stitching on the dash and more knobs and buttons returning. Certainly waiting for market prices and interest rates to settle would be a far more sensible, it was just unfortunate timing for me. I’ll have to see how finances are when the Ed50 breaks cover in a couple years.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Kgti8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #31 on: 31 December 2023, 14:53 »
I changed from a GTI to an R also in recent months but don’t think I mentioned it here.

The R looks cracking in pure white and I would have got it in pure white only I already had white and fancied a crack at Lapiz.

It’s a bit harder on the pocket compared to the GTI but a great drive that brings many smiles.

2021 MK8 Manual | Oryx White, Estorils, DCC, Winter Pack, HK, Pan Roof, Rear Camera, Vienna Leather

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #32 on: 31 December 2023, 15:08 »
Lapiz blue really does stand out and with the R badge having been bastardised by so many “R-Line“ versions of fairly mundane models it leaves no one in any doubt.

It looks great when polished like yours Kgti8 and it's good to hear you're happy with the change.

Did you get the performance pack?
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #33 on: 31 December 2023, 15:23 »
Exonian,

I'd dearly love to not be dreading March when my three years is up...

It's a terrible time to think about a swap though... Both the 8.5 imminent and the interest rates... Plus it's my Mrs turn for the next new car and we'll be venturing into the milk float unknown with it.

Maybe I can think about an ed50.

On the other hand I'm really despising the luxury car tax crap. I feel like the bastids steal enough from me already.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 31 December 2023, 15:46 »
Lovely Lapiz R20Y there Kgti8  :cool: really liking that and I’m glad you’re enjoying it. Beautiful shine on it.

@BillSan, by default it does have the PP and a few bonus ponies!

@fredgroves what’s at the top of Mrs fredgroves car list? Time to go EV before they hit them for VED! It’s a shame the grants went.
Not a great time to be making any large purchase, especially cars with trade prices heading rapidly south and new prices heading forever north. Maybe some nuggets will be sent as a bribe in the March budget, they’ll let the next gov’t worry how it’s all going to be paid for!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #35 on: 31 December 2023, 16:41 »
Hi Exonian and congratulations on your new toy  :smiley:

I'm with you on Pure White being the best colour for a Mk8 (in the absence of White Silver which I loved on my Mk7.5) but with a few others on having a hatred of diamond polished alloys solely because of deterioration issues.

Like you've said though you can always get them painted if that happens.

You said the end of your 3 year warranty was a factor in the change, but couldn't you have just bought a new 1 year “All Component Cover“ warranty from VW to put your mind at rest?  I'm guessing £400-£500 could be the going rate for a 3 year old Clubby and it would have given you more time to see what the Mk8.5 might offer.

My Clubby lease is up in 6 months and I'm thinking of extending the lease and buying the comprehensive warranty to keep my options open for another year and to see how car prices change in that period.

Anyway Daisy looks ace and I may still get an R some day if my luck is in.

Can you buy an all component warranty from VW these days? You used to be able to buy an extension to the factory warranty prior to registration of the car for either 4 years or 5 years, but VW stopped doing these around 2019 if I remember rightly.

Oddly though, you can still get these for Seat and Audi - bought a 5 year extension for my S3, it cost £530. The hope is that if I don't keep it 5 years, having that factory warranty extension will be a good selling point privately or to a non-Audi dealership.

Yes done it on my last 2 GTI's easy to do and much cheaper and more comprehensive than aftermarket or dealer warranty only thing to remember is you must have it serviced as required and do it BEFORE the original 3 years or VW approved used car warranty expires.
« Last Edit: 31 December 2023, 16:58 by davo245 »
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #36 on: 31 December 2023, 21:27 »

@fredgroves what’s at the top of Mrs fredgroves car list? Time to go EV before they hit them for VED! It’s a shame the grants went.
Not a great time to be making any large purchase, especially cars with trade prices heading rapidly south and new prices heading forever north. Maybe some nuggets will be sent as a bribe in the March budget, they’ll let the next gov’t worry how it’s all going to be paid for!

Mini for her. She likes her minis.

Me not so much! Her choice tho.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #37 on: 01 January 2024, 08:34 »

I guessed as much.
The new ones look pretty funky, probably not as solid as the F56 but they look great

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 01 January 2024, 08:58 »

I guessed as much.
The new ones look pretty funky, probably not as solid as the F56 but they look great

I like the F56, but I’m not sure about the new one. Not keen on the interior of the new model and they seem very expensive :shocked:.

On the subject of EV’s - with all EV’s currently, I dare say the new Mini Electric will be expensive to insure as it seems the repairers don’t have the knowledge / expertise to repair many EV’s. Some parts are difficult to get, repair times are longer (taking up workshop space), and there’s a high write-off rate if the part of the car where the battery is located is damaged. I read recently that some insurance companies aren’t currently quoting for EV’s - either for new or existing customers………
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #39 on: 01 January 2024, 13:10 »
Lapiz blue really does stand out and with the R badge having been bastardised by so many “R-Line“ versions of fairly mundane models it leaves no one in any doubt.

It looks great when polished like yours Kgti8 and it's good to hear you're happy with the change.

Did you get the performance pack?

I know what you mean with the bastardisation. My sister asked me to turn off her lane assist on her "Golf R" with my OBD11. It was a TSIe R line, the badging just says "R" now on the R-lines

For me Lapiz is the best colour for an R.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.