Author Topic: Golf 8.5 - you saw it here first!  (Read 28619 times)

Offline jon87

• Not said much yet
Re: Golf 8.5 - you saw it here first!
« Reply #140 on: 09 January 2024, 15:09 »
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C12UJFepsPR/?igsh=MWV4cnoxajlmN2MwaA==

what's happening with the rear turn signal?  :grin:

I think they look funky! Would look better at night.

Looks like it's confirmed there won't be a manual gearbox for the facelift, so guaranteed to have a much higher starting price for a basic GTI.
https://www.motor1.com/news/703820/volkswagen-golf-manual-gearbox-dead/

Offline Dogman12

• Not said much yet
« Reply #141 on: 09 January 2024, 15:18 »

Looks a bit "too much" ?  :undecided:

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #142 on: 09 January 2024, 15:26 »

Have they seriously butchered the lower grill to get the radar down there again as they want the badge to light up at night?

Offline WelshGolf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #143 on: 09 January 2024, 15:37 »
meh. Looks alright, just don't know why it needs the massive openings at the bottom... Oh I know why, so you can get your hand in there to pull the leaves out! Mine currectly has a trees worth inside that I can't get to  :grin: :grin: :grin:
Golf 7R - Gone
Golf 7.5 GTi - Gone
Golf 8 Clubsport - On order

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #144 on: 09 January 2024, 15:39 »
Plenty of revenue headed their way for replacement Radar sensor and AC radiators from stones due to being that low  and the size of the gaps in the lower grill!
I remember back in the Mk6 days where they had an inner grill to stop stones in poorer countries, think we need to bring that back with the state of our roads!
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #145 on: 09 January 2024, 15:56 »
Still a year away before start looking at next car in earnest (After 15 years of company leases, this be my last) but now have seen a few MK 8 R and Clubsport in the wild now, definitely like what seeing, my ongoing dilemma would be ending up with a software lemon, so have been waiting on the MK 8.5 and really like the camouflaged to what presume is the Clubsport.

Personally not opposed to the new central screen, more real estate is never a bad thing, and there is some design in curvature and the bezel, and think would get used to it pretty quick, with it seems from Thomas initial review, improved and stable O/S (Of course, to be proven) as the main winner for me. As well as back lit controls.

Think its a shame gone backwards from haptic steering functions aesthetically and can only imagine there must be a technical reason?

Think be pitching at a Clubsport given we have AWD in the family with a 2019 R

Think the only way can personally access a MK 8.5 Clubsport would be via lease, which is major departure for me as always bought personal cars and would be stepping into that arena taking as much advice as is available, but my company cars are pay as go, so quite happy with the concept.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #146 on: 09 January 2024, 16:16 »

Definitely a bit too much and adds a touch too much aggressiveness IMHO, along with a touch of ugliness.

Have they seriously butchered the lower grill to get the radar down there again as they want the badge to light up at night?

Butchered indeed! :shocked: Just looks a bit odd and unfinished IMHO.

meh. Looks alright, just don't know why it needs the massive openings at the bottom... Oh I know why, so you can get your hand in there to pull the leaves out! Mine currectly has a trees worth inside that I can't get to  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Those large gaps will certainly be a magnet for leaves and other road debris. As you’ve said, at least it should be relatively easy to get a hand in to remove unwanted items.

Plenty of revenue headed their way for replacement Radar sensor and AC radiators from stones due to being that low and the size of the gaps in the lower grill!

Agree. Even the gaps in the honeycomb section of the lower grille are large enough to let through some pretty large projectile stones. Those gaps along the bottom are almost boulder sized!
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Dogman12

• Not said much yet
« Reply #147 on: 09 January 2024, 17:39 »
Definitely a bit too much and adds a touch too much aggressiveness IMHO, along with a touch of ugliness.

I've never liked too aggressive mods of Golfs. When they look like the previous generation Civic Type-R, where you feel like a 15-year-old guy who just finished playing Need For Speed Underground.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #148 on: 09 January 2024, 18:17 »
Plenty of revenue headed their way for replacement Radar sensor and AC radiators from stones due to being that low  and the size of the gaps in the lower grill!
I remember back in the Mk6 days where they had an inner grill to stop stones in poorer countries, think we need to bring that back with the state of our roads!

That sparse and open front grille at the bottom looks like it is missing a piece of trim. My S3 also has the radar sensor at the bottom like the MK7 Golf (although it is shaped like the hexagonal grille cut outs so blends in better), as does our Cupra Born. Completely agree that the radiator and AC compressor will take a pounding from high speed stones.
« Last Edit: 09 January 2024, 18:21 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #149 on: 09 January 2024, 19:07 »
I actually really like the more aggressive styling of the 'proposed' clubsport. You have to bear in mind the clubsport isn't meant to be the little black dress that fits into all occasions like the GTI. I'd definitely consider moving up from my 7.5 if it weren't for the drab interior, but who know's maybe I'll change my mind.

I still don't understand the stuck on iPad look, especially with all the space underneath. Integrate it into the dash and stop being lazy, the 2020 3 series made a great job of it along with have air con controls, radio buttons, wireless charger and 2 cupholders.

If they even followed the previous A3 design architecture (fully retractable screen into the dash) and made the screen 50% shrinkable into the dash with only the essentials on it, it would appeal to a lot more people.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/