Author Topic: 19" Brescia wheels question?  (Read 1967 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: 19" Brescia wheels question?
« Reply #10 on: 14 July 2023, 11:28 »
Looking at the 2018 and 2019 MY brochure and price lists they were a £600 option, Diamond cut finish - look cool.

The diamond cut finish might look cool, but I’d never have diamond alloys by choice;
  • poor durability; the diamond cut face doesn’t provide a good surface for the clear lacquer to bond to. Any small amount of damage to the clear coat (it only takes a small stone chip) and if not touched in / repaired, white worm corrosion will set in, especially if diamond cut alloys are on a car that’s used as a daily driver during the winter months
  • getting diamond cut alloys refurbished is more expensive than getting painted / powder coated alloys refurbished, and because the diamond cut refurb process involves cutting away a layer from the face of the wheel, they can only be refurbished twice; more than twice and the structural integrity of the wheel can be compromised
  • diamond cut alloys seem to be quite susceptible to damage by careless or over-zealous tyre fitters; if they do damage them, they’ll probably deny it, leaving the car owner with the hassle and expense of getting the damage fixed.
Given a choice of diamond cut or painted / powder coated alloys, I’d always go for the latter.

If they are all black  and genuine they have been refurbished  :smiley:

Yes.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 14 July 2023, 13:06 »
Looking at the 2018 and 2019 MY brochure and price lists they were a £600 option, Diamond cut finish - look cool.

The diamond cut finish might look cool, but I’d never have diamond alloys by choice;
  • poor durability; the diamond cut face doesn’t provide a good surface for the clear lacquer to bond to. Any small amount of damage to the clear coat (it only takes a small stone chip) and if not touched in / repaired, white worm corrosion will set in, especially if diamond cut alloys are on a car that’s used as a daily driver during the winter months
  • getting diamond cut alloys refurbished is more expensive than getting painted / powder coated alloys refurbished, and because the diamond cut refurb process involves cutting away a layer from the face of the wheel, they can only be refurbished twice; more than twice and the structural integrity of the wheel can be compromised
  • diamond cut alloys seem to be quite susceptible to damage by careless or over-zealous tyre fitters; if they do damage them, they’ll probably deny it, leaving the car owner with the hassle and expense of getting the damage fixed.
Given a choice of diamond cut or painted / powder coated alloys, I’d always go for the latter.

Yes.

Probably tempting fate now but 4.5 years in only one nick on the rim edge that I fixed myself and x2 tyre changes on the front and x1 on the rear with no tyre fitter damage.
Still look cool.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 14 July 2023, 13:37 »

Yes.

Probably tempting fate now but 4.5 years in only one nick on the rim edge that I fixed myself and x2 tyre changes on the front and x1 on the rear with no tyre fitter damage.
Still look cool.

Lucky you - mine are asbolutely ruined, and I mean RUINED. They are actually a bit embarrassing...

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 14 July 2023, 14:36 »
Mine are also ruined, one nick from myself, then the rest 6+ all from tyre fitters and stone chips...Mine are actually very thickly lacquered 320 microns from memory, but not benefit when the stone chips take it away.

Shame all one colour looks awful in them imo.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 17 July 2023, 19:26 »

Yes.

Still look cool.

Knew I should have kept my mouth shut. Gave it a proper clean on Saturday and found a tiny chip on the offside rear wheel with a tiny bit of white worm, sanded and lacquered it 🤞 it doesn’t get worse.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.