Author Topic: WANTED: 4 x 18" Pretoria wheels in silver  (Read 6429 times)

Offline Isaac-GTi

• Not said much yet
Re: WANTED: 4 x 18" Pretoria wheels in silver
« Reply #10 on: 16 February 2023, 23:09 »
 Hi Pixelmix. I bought a brand new set of geniune VW 18'' Pretoria alloys in Silver - Boxed unused, in 2021 to put on an Isaac blue Mk7.5pp that I had planned to buy as I'd had my beloved graphite blue Mk5 Gti for 10 years!!.. Then the prices for good Mk7.5pp's went into outer orbit and out of principle I'm keeping the Mk5... So in the garage there is a brand new set of Silver boxed Prets.

They did cost an arm and a leg but any idea if you are interested what ball park figure you think they are worth to you.

North West Surrey area. May be able to deliver on Sundays only.

Offline Pixelmix

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 22 February 2023, 13:14 »
Hi Isaac - I can't send you a PM about these. Can you see if you can turn that option on or drop me a message with your contact details please?

Offline Pixelmix

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 21 March 2023, 22:03 »
I’m still on the look out as I only have 4mm of tread left and I would prefer to put new tyres on new wheels. I can’t get to Surrey to collect the above Pretorias, so if anyone else knows of any good conditions, genuine Pretoria 18” wheels, do let me know.

CM reps are still a fallback option but I’m willing to wait a few more months to find some genuine 18” Pretorias in the North of England or above.

Offline Peter_booker2003

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 25 March 2023, 08:59 »
Hi Pixelmix. I bought a brand new set of geniune VW 18'' Pretoria alloys in Silver - Boxed unused, in 2021 to put on an Isaac blue Mk7.5pp that I had planned to buy as I'd had my beloved graphite blue Mk5 Gti for 10 years!!.. Then the prices for good Mk7.5pp's went into outer orbit and out of principle I'm keeping the Mk5... So in the garage there is a brand new set of Silver boxed Prets.

They did cost an arm and a leg but any idea if you are interested what ball park figure you think they are worth to you.

North West Surrey area. May be able to deliver on Sundays only.

You've got PM from me. Very keen on these.

Thanks
Pete

Offline Isaac-GTi

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 25 March 2023, 10:34 »
 Hi Pete, yes still in the garage - untouched.

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 22 April 2023, 11:34 »

I'm tempted to go with a brand new set of CM replicas

I wouldn`t put CM reps on my wheel barrow.

Agree crack real easy go OEM stay away from reps unless it's a old daily car
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline Pixelmix

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 23 April 2023, 19:32 »
I’ve been dragging my feet, hoping that a genuine set turn up.

There is one set within sensible collection distance (albeit not in my preferred colour and currently for more than I’m willing to pay, but it is a start).

Any tips for making sure I get genuine VW wheels? Presumably the CM copies etc are quite different and not trying to look like OEM wheels, but are there any reps around that do look like originals, or is it safe enough just to check that wheels have the VW part number stamp?

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 23 April 2023, 19:40 »
I’ve been dragging my feet, hoping that a genuine set turn up.

There is one set within sensible collection distance (albeit not in my preferred colour and currently for more than I’m willing to pay, but it is a start).

Any tips for making sure I get genuine VW wheels? Presumably the CM copies etc are quite different and not trying to look like OEM wheels, but are there any reps around that do look like originals, or is it safe enough just to check that wheels have the VW part number stamp?

See the stamps on the backs in photos on here in my ad this is what genuine wheels have on the backs prets are pretty weak wheels when genuine VW so reps will be even worse!

https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=289399.0
« Last Edit: 23 April 2023, 19:45 by davo245 »
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline Pixelmix

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 23 April 2023, 21:05 »
Thanks. I'm hoping that the 18" ones are a bit stronger since they are heavier

Offline Isaac-GTi

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 28 April 2023, 01:29 »
 The Pretoria 19's genuine, are forged (Hence lighter and Softer) and one of my favourite wheels ever. The trouble is the roads in the south east of England are a pot holed joke and no time in the foreseeable will that change, which at £1200 a pop makes them a daunting choice... (Imagine every time you hit a pot hole, thinking Oh No £1200!  Then hitting another one cause you'd lost concentration and driving home sheepishly, hoping the tyre sidewalls are Ok otherwise it's £2750 down the dunny.)
 The genuine 18's on the other hand are cast; are a bit heavier but quite a bit stronger, nearly as good looking and only £470 each at VW--TPS.... You can tell the genuine VW 18's as they have the letters KBA cast on the outside rim by the valve.

As said a while back I still have a new boxed set of silver genuine 18's for £960. If there are any interested parties let me know..

Busy till end of May unfortunately so may not be able to reply until then........... Thanks.