Author Topic: Avon calling!  (Read 34671 times)

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
Re: Avon calling!
« Reply #240 on: 10 June 2023, 21:23 »
It’s a 21 plate piece of annoyance.

That would make it a 2021MY I believe, up to this point many had issues with bongs etc. As mine is a September 2021 built, 2022MY car, my build date was just after it changed to 2022MY, at this point various factory fit hardware was updated to the newest revision available, this appears to fix a lot of the apparent software/hardware incompatibility, for example, 2022MY onward, had the newer steering wheel fitted at factory, this is most easily identified by the newer font red GTI badge at the bottom of the wheel, although, as many have now had a replacement wheel, this can no longer solely be used to identify 2022MY or newer cars,

Mine is also a later 2021 build (So also a MY22 car) and I've had very few "bong" issues, so you might be onto something alright.

I notice the latest build cars have a different VW badge on the centre too... are people who get replacement wheels getting that new-style VW badge also?

As I understand it, (new wheel recipients please correct me if I’m wrong) the airbag is simply swapped over from the old wheel to the new, so the VW emblem would remain to be the smaller gloss badge, as apposed to the new style that is set in relief.
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #241 on: 11 June 2023, 14:39 »
My steering wheel was replaced under a week ago, the car is one of the first batch of Clubsports off the boat in December 2020.
Unfortunately I have no idea what the latest steering wheel looks like but my new ‘wheel has a silver GTI badge. I also don’t know what the new airbag badge looks like so I’m not much help really!
The airbag on the replaced steering wheel looks new but there’s the possibility the techie just gave it a thorough clean. It’s hard to tell as I keep my car as clean as practical, bearing in mind it’s a daily driver unlike many of my previous Golfs, but the airbag does actually look new.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #242 on: 11 June 2023, 15:34 »
My car is an early car. Miraculously, no bongs. For comparison, here’s the steering wheel complete with GTI in silver in the 7.5 font, which I hadn’t noticed until it was pointed out in a recent post. Here’s the airbag logo too.

Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #243 on: 11 June 2023, 15:59 »
My replacement ‘wheel

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #244 on: 11 June 2023, 17:17 »
That's the old-style badging Exonian, both the VW centre badge and the "GTI" badge. Which would suggest that when they replace these wheels they transfer over the airbag and the silver/red plastic trim from the old wheel (which includes the haptic buttons)
« Last Edit: 11 June 2023, 17:19 by JoeGTI »
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #245 on: 11 June 2023, 17:50 »
Thanks Joe, I thought it looked pretty much the same as before hence not mentioning it the other day when I was going on about the rim itself feeling new and more grippy. What you say about changing the main ‘wheel only and carrying over the old ancillaries makes perfect sense and economical sense for VW.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline GtIOlly

• Not said much yet
« Reply #246 on: 11 June 2023, 18:57 »
Got told only last week that they changed back to replace the whole steering wheel instead of just parts ?

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #247 on: 14 June 2023, 07:08 »
My replacement ‘wheel

So the the GTI tettering on the photo in this is red?
Loos pretty much the same to me them again may just be my eyes :whistle: :grin:
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #248 on: 14 June 2023, 12:07 »

So the the GTI tettering on the photo in this is red?
Loos pretty much the same to me them again may just be my eyes :whistle: :grin:

No it’s silver, any redness on the GTI badge is a reflection (possibly of my red face as it was about a zillion °C in the car when I nipped out to take the photo)

my new ‘wheel has a silver GTI badge.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline RoryB

• Not said much yet
« Reply #249 on: 14 June 2023, 21:04 »
Had mine replaced today... All trim, buttons, paddles (the R ones I fitted myself) and airbag was transfered on to new rim. Bong free so far.
Gone: Mk 5 GT Sport 140
Sticking around: Mk 7 GTD
Current: Mk 8 GTI Clubsport