Author Topic: Avon calling!  (Read 33613 times)

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
Re: Avon calling!
« Reply #140 on: 06 March 2023, 22:02 »
I’m still bong free since the dealership updated me to 1899 just over 3 weeks ago, once I picked the car up i noticed that some of the coding I’d done had been reset, namely maps in cluster and infotainment simultaneously, i re-coded this when back home, and as I normally would I cleared any fault codes that were present, perhaps I too have been bong free purely due to fault code clearing?!? This also makes me wonder if this is the reason I’ve been virtually bong free regardless of SW version, as I have coded things right from the off, and as such have been periodically fault clearing!
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #141 on: 07 March 2023, 13:23 »
Personally I like the minimalist interior and always have done. Granted it looks a bit naff in photos but actually sat inside it’s fine. It’s not luxurious but it’s not overly cheap feeling either.

As an OAP-in-waiting myself I’d have thought the mk8 design was very old person friendly.
Old people like ugly cars - tick, most mk8 variants are pretty fugly
Old people like nice simple easy to read instruments - tick, huge digital speedo and big icons on the central screen.
Ease of saving Radio Three and Four or fascist phone in indie station in favourites - tick
Pull down menu to save frequently used things on main screen that involves one not having to take eyes off the road for more than a second or two - tick
Basic controls easy to find on (sh!te) haptic buttons - tick
Lots of tech many oldies will will never use tucked away out of sight in a menu somewhere - tick

Couple of demerits: the Golf is lower than most current Mini-SUV’s so ingress and egress not so easy and the climate screen menu can look like a dogs dinner to the uninitiated, but once set most people don’t fiddle with it much.

Yeah, it’s pretty OAP friendly Snoopy  :wink:

Just lacking two options as far as I'm concerned - an incontinence warning light and a bifocal windscreen.   :smiley:
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #142 on: 07 March 2023, 15:28 »
I’m still bong free since the dealership updated me to 1899 just over 3 weeks ago, once I picked the car up i noticed that some of the coding I’d done had been reset, namely maps in cluster and infotainment simultaneously, i re-coded this when back home, and as I normally would I cleared any fault codes that were present, perhaps I too have been bong free purely due to fault code clearing?!? This also makes me wonder if this is the reason I’ve been virtually bong free regardless of SW version, as I have coded things right from the off, and as such have been periodically fault clearing!

Its got to be one of the type of faults that causes it - although I couldn't see anything obvious.

Super annoying though.

I'm still bong free btw
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #143 on: 10 March 2023, 09:08 »

Its got to be one of the type of faults that causes it - although I couldn't see anything obvious.

Super annoying though.

I'm still bong free btw

Not sure how the updates are delivered, but now bong free, would avoid being a first adopter and look to delay any future upgrade till you see how stable it is with others.

You would like to think the next iteration has all the stability of the previous, but its always surprising how much gets broken and then missed on testing, while trying to fix and enhance other aspects of the build.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #144 on: 15 March 2023, 16:06 »
… Aaaaaand todays bong is … airbag
That one’s a first.
I’ll take the car out again a bit later to see if it persists. If so it’s a safety issue and will be booked in ASAP. Points more and more to steering wheel electronics(?)

Aside from that it’s been bong free since going into VW recently to have the Haldex oil changed, they must’ve cleared the fault codes. Probably at the request of the guy who collected it from my house as he was probably crying by the time he got to the dealership 12 miles away in heavy traffic.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #145 on: 16 March 2023, 08:14 »
They're back...

Might have to have another clear out with OBD11 later.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #146 on: 16 March 2023, 18:28 »
A quick fault code clear might buy you a few more weeks peace Fred.

The airbag warning hasn’t resurfaced on mine (touch wood) despite doing a lot of driving today. 🤞🏻
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #147 on: 17 March 2023, 07:48 »
No help but thank you for this thread. Everytime I think of buying a newer VW it reminds me for my sanity why not too.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #148 on: 17 March 2023, 18:36 »
Have you no sense of adventure Snoopy? 😁
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.