Author Topic: Avon calling!  (Read 33622 times)

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
Re: Avon calling!
« Reply #60 on: 14 February 2023, 14:59 »
The Tiguan I had the brief use of had the newer climate controls which were touch sensitive rather than the earlier rotary ones which I much prefer. The touch sensitive ones require one’s eyes to leave the road for too long in my opinion as they’re mounted low down. Probably ok for small temperature adjustments but not so good for bigger.
I’ve always got on pretty well with the mk8 clima, mind you I don’t fiddle with it much. It’s set for 17°c and left there summer and winter. When I’m doing a 5am start-up sometimes I need to put the front screen blower on for a bit but that’s conveniently located with the only moan being it’s not a proper button. Does the job though.
I don’t have seat heaters and with the fluffy seats I don’t find any call for them. The heated steering wheel is heaven though.

The facelifted T-Rocs have better plastics don’t they? I very briefly sat in a work colleague’s SEAT Arona a couple of years ago which is basically the same thing and quite liked the interior of that. He’s now got an MG4 on order. I’m looking forward to seeing that.

I have a big soft spot for T-Roc R’s. I might consider one of those in the right spec but would need the black exterior styling pack and heated steering wheel  :grin:
It’s not the sort of car I’d keep long but would be fun for a winter or two.

It’s funny how you notice the low resolution displays in certain models only once you’ve lived with a mk8 for a bit. The resolution seemed fine when it was the only choice just a couple of years ago!

Ah yes, I forgot that the Tiguan has touch-sliders on the climate unit now - agree, not great either but at least its still a separate panel, separate from the main infotainment display.

I do have the heated seats and it's a bit of a faff turning them on/off when on the move, despite Volkswizard's claim that it's "easy". I don't really touch the actual climate controls much either, generally leave it at 21-22 degrees so it's really only the heated seats controls I find annoying.

Yep, the newer T-Roc does have better plastics I believe, I haven't sat in one yet.

MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #61 on: 16 February 2023, 13:32 »
Bongs are back. 🙄

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #62 on: 21 February 2023, 11:11 »
Mine too. Horrifically frequent over the weekend. No rhyme or reason for it either.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #63 on: 21 February 2023, 15:58 »
I tried to take a phone call earlier.... person calling me couldn't hear me over the bongs - it must have done it 30 times or more.

Bloody thing!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #64 on: 21 February 2023, 17:07 »
It's weird how some of you guys are getting these bongs so much / so often! In Exonian's case, he hardly ever had any and suddenly they all started incessantly. It doesn't make much sense.

I rarely get any annoying bongs. But I definitely get the occasional "glitch" and some of these glitches are unacceptable really - for instance I drove 15 miles the other day with the infotainment stuck on "Loading user settings" and only corrected itself once I parked up and locked the car for a while. But frequent bongs - nope, and thankfully the bad glitches like the example I just gave are very infrequent.

I don't think I could stick it tbh, the car would be gone. My fear is that my car will just start doing it too for no apparent logical reason, like in Exonian's case!
« Last Edit: 21 February 2023, 17:12 by JoeGTI »

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #65 on: 21 February 2023, 17:12 »
Touch wood. I don’t get bongs. In the last few evenings my lights have started to emit  a beam of light that sweeps up and then down periodically as I drive with the headlights on. It projects on to houses and trees as I drive past. It’s a bit distracting and I hadn’t experienced it before. Hopefully it will stop it soon.
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #66 on: 21 February 2023, 17:51 »
I don't think I could stick it tbh, the car would be gone. My fear is that my car will just start doing it too for no apparent logical reason, like in Exonian's case!

I think because I had two relatively trouble free years with only the odd random playing up of the media unit and very very occasionally, if the car had been parked half in sunlight and half in the shade, the parking sensors would tell me they’re not working is the reason I haven’t got shot of the car. In all dynamic respects I love the car. But a few rattles and creaks have manifested recently and they’re peeing me off too, albeit they’re only present for a short time on cold startup.

I’ve literally been offered £29k (trade) for it just today but what could I replace it with? There’s nothing out there.
It’s lost me £4K in 26 months going by that offer so not bad for a new car purchase.
I don’t think I could sell a car knowing there’s a fault with it either, even though it’s such a common issue.

Saturday it was moderate bonging, I didn’t use the car Sunday (just a wash) but started it to check tyre tread so needed the wheels on full lock and it bonged as soon as the engine fired up. On Monday it was sporadic. Early today (Tuesday) it was going apesh!t non stop for the 20 minute journey, then this afternoon a fair bit longer journey over a very varied route and it did it just once on a sharp left low speed manoeuvre.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #67 on: 21 February 2023, 19:01 »
Saturday it was moderate bonging, I didn’t use the car Sunday (just a wash) but started it to check tyre tread so needed the wheels on full lock and it bonged as soon as the engine fired up. On Monday it was sporadic. Early today (Tuesday) it was going apesh!t non stop for the 20 minute journey, then this afternoon a fair bit longer journey over a very varied route and it did it just once on a sharp left low speed manoeuvre.

it does sound from that description that it could well be steering-input related and a new wheel could resolve these problems. My parents had the wheel in their Tiguan replaced recently. Similar problems in that car - constant travel/lane assist bongs! And it's all been OK (touch wood) since the new wheel went in.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #68 on: 21 February 2023, 19:24 »
Fingers crossed your parents Tiguan stays behaving Joe. 🤞🏻

I can never make my mind up whether it’s related to steering inputs or not. Some days it seems like it is and other days it’s bonging no matter how little the steering wheel moves.
I guess I’ll have a better idea once the ‘wheel comes off back order. I won’t hold my breath though.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #69 on: 21 February 2023, 20:11 »
I don’t think I could sell a car knowing there’s a fault with it either, even though it’s such a common issue.

Unless you’re trading in to VW, then hopefully it bongs on every test drive and they’re forced to fix it properly.

I think it’s been mentioned here before, what happens with all the Mk8 golf’s (not just those here, all models are effected) at three years old and out of warranty?

Maybe VW have a sense of humour and instead of “bong” the dash goes “cha-ching”.

Seriously though, if they’re not fixed it’s worrying, I think I’d be trying to get all the faults logged so it’s classed as an ongoing warranty issue.
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack